Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Babs...



Well, hello gorge!
She's an icon, she's an EGOT and she's still the moment. I have that @BarbraStreisand book in my list in my little public library. Apparently, seventy other people had the same idea, but it'll get to me. Can't wait to read it. Funny thing? I thought she was awesome before, but I started collecting her records after the manfriend's parents renounced her 'cause she was 'too liberal'. There. Motivation. Is there anything more powerful than petty satisfaction? Every time I saw them I thanked them for directing me to Barbra. 

And I decided to imitate Babs and take the Colbert Questionert:

1. The best sandwich? The Cuban. I think it's got the best flavor. And it's hot, so yes.

2. The scariest animal? Anything microscopic. Have you seen them under a microscope? Fuck. THAT is what nightmares are made of.

3. Apples. Green. I like them tart. I cannot take those big, red apples that taste like nothing. I also like crab apples. So sue me.

4. I have never asked anybody for their autograph, even though I have gone to many book signings. I know, contradictory, but hey...

5. Window seat. Always. I read, so I need to have space to open my book. Elbow room, you know.

6. Lavender. It's my go-to fragrance. I learned I really liked it when I was an outpatient doing some counseling (that's a whole another story) and the druggies, the alkies and us all built 'survival kits'. Mine had lavender. Least favorite smell? Brussel sprouts cooking. Damn. That shit is awful.

7. Earliest memory? I think playing with my toy cars. I was a very boy-boy little boy. I loved playing with cars and G.I. Joes. 

8. Goddess. Neither? I don't like either. But if I HAVE to choose? Cats. I can leave cats alone for days and just leave food, water and kitty litter and the little beasts are ok. Dogs are way too codependent for me. 

9. If I have to listen to ONE song, I'd listen to Billie Holiday's Lover Man. Oh yes, I love that voice. 

10. You're thinking about number four. LOL No? 

11. Living a future without boundaries.


Isn't Barbra fun? They paint her as this kooky, strange character (and she may be, to some) but I have met so many fabulous kooky, strange characters that she seems totally normal to me. And that VOICE!

XOXO




Comments

  1. And now, you too are Known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Streisand, we have the same politics, however, I'm not a big fan of all of her work, take Yentl, costarring Mandy Patinkin, a man with the voice of an angel, and she sang every single song in that musical. That was a bad move by her ego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wasn't ego, Dave. That was 1. The studio. 2. The entire story was in Yentl's POV. Yentl, A film with music. Not a musical. Just sayin'.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Streisand was the main producer (the one who takes home the Best Picture statue), and the director, and the star, as well as co-writing credits. This was all about Streisand being the first woman to write, direct, produce and star in a major motion picture and getting nominations for all of those rolls, rather than a film based on the stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer with songs written specifically for her by her friends Alan and Marylin Berman. Amusingly enough, the only Oscar it won was for musical score, and that went to Michel Legrand. In case you didn't know, that POV excuse was used to ensure she was the only to get credit.

      Delete
    3. Patinkin made me cement the realization that I was gay.
      Those eyes! That body! That beard! When they go to for that swim in Yentl??? My basement flooded.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Big says,
    Love that woman. Her singing, her acting, her politics. Have all the records. Have seen all the concerts. Read the book, of course. Q1. Corned Beef & Pastrami on Rye. Q2. Spider. Q3. Apples, Green. Q4. David Sedaris. Q5. Aisle. Q6. Fresh Lemon. Q7. Having eye surgery. Q8. Cats. (But I really miss my two dogs) Q9. Barbra's "Somewhere." Q10. Um....2? Q11. Accepting the Tony and Oscar. (Ok, so I'm a selfish bastard for not wishing something altruistic, right? LOL.) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      I have watched all her movies, including The Main Event (well, Ryan O'Neal!) and A Star is Born (well, Kris Kristofferson!). I love to hear her sing. And corned beef and pastrami has GOT to be on rye, no? With mustard??
      And nope, altruism is not required. That future without boundaries was MY future...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. A podcast I was listening to was just talking about her book. They said she spent a whole chapter discussing what an asshole Walter Matthau was. I guess this was common knowledge but I was unaware that Matthau was such a turd. Hope you get the book soon and get to enjoy all of her awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard and read a lot about her book. I put it in my list right away.
      I love it when artists dish on the stuff they've done because we get the product but never the tea. And can you imagine how totally shitty was Matthau that there's a chapter about him? LMAOOO

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. 1. The best sandwich? Reuben. Hands down.
    2. The scariest animal? Hyena. That ain't laughter.
    3. Apples. Fuji or Gala. I am not a tart apple queen.
    4. I have Anne Rice signatures in several of her books.
    5. I will take window or aisle. But my flight home from Oregon I had a window and a HUGE man had the middle and I spent the whole flight managing my claustrophobia and trying to sleep.
    6. Favorite smell is freshly cut grass.
    7. Earliest memory was in nursery school when I vomited on my shirt ... and brown and gray shirt that i refused to ever wear again.
    8. Cats of course.
    9. I'm with you, Billie Holiday always ... could be anything of hers but I'll settle on "Crazy He Calls Me."
    10. You'll NEVER get it so don't even try.
    11. Being true in every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's so talented! here a a few lines of Oriana Fallaci's interview.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    7 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.