Go back in time

Show more

Oh, nifty?

 

@npr

Ok, who had in their BINGO card 'NPR gives good advice'? I did! That's why you're getting this post. Duh. And even though I don't do 'goals' for the year or 'promises' (because I will break them), I think this is more like a blueprint or lifehack collection for 2024. Because who doesn't want to have a nice year?

I have listened to NPR for years. They have awesome programming and it's great for long drives. But this here is their insta feed (which is also cool, in case you don't follow them). And these are the tips they gave for a much better 2024. And I think they... track??


OMG this is a life changer. Totally recommend. I'm one of those people who hates procrastinating, so I finish everything I need to do the moment I get my hands on it. Both for life things (asking Siri to schedule appointments the second I know I have them, getting checks the second I get to that 'refill' stub..) and for work. I can't stand leaving shit for 'later'. Because out of sight does mean out of mind for me. 


Oh, yes. 
I start work early in the day, so I tend to wake up early every day, even without an alarm clock. I like it especially in the summer, when I can go for early walks. It really starts your day well. And I can pack a morning with stuff that feels just... heavy in the afternoon. Also, I like afternoon naps.


Wait. Didn't everybody do this? As in, every day? Really? 
I remember my mom telling me that the first thing you do in the morning is to brush your teeth. I still do it to this day. I thought everybody did. 



THIS!
I have been known to push through a book waiting for it to get better because someone recommended it. I was talking to Dave about this: I have to read for work, so when I read for fun, I only read books that I know I'm going to enjoy. Otherwise, it's back to the public library with them!


Ohhh yes.
That 20% for savings and debt? Yes. I recently opened one of those online accounts where you can get CDs and the such. I made sure I have a direct deposit every month going there. It's absolutely satisfying looking at the amount every six months. And they have nice interest rates, too. 



This!
I abhor eating in front of the TV. Or in the car. Or anywhere where I cannot have a table and stay for at least twenty/thirty minutes. I cannot understand how people can eat while driving? It seems... stressful. Sometimes I have had to eat at my desk, but I close the fucking door because I don't want no bitch walking on me while I eat my salad.



Honey, yes.
I decided about two years ago that I would not go 'above and beyond' for anybody or for any reason if I did not like the work I was pushed into doing.  Especially if it's above my paycheck. If it's not in the contract, this bitch is not YOUR bitch. Blessed be the Unions. There's a lot of '... we thought of you when we heard this..' kind of bullshit going around. They just want you to do the heavy lifting to THEY look good. It's not my journey. This year I will restrict myself to the things I enjoy at work and to my duties. The rest? Well, let THEM find someone to do it.

Wasn't NPR right? And you, Constant Reader, do you actually do any of these things? All of them? Go ahead, tell me. It'll be between us and the internet...

XOXO

Comments

  1. Good advice, all of them. And I do them all, except for the brushing of teeth before breakfast one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too!
      And I was convinced everybody would brush their teeth before breakfast. For real.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Big says,
    I'm up before the sun. I do love the early mornings. I don't follow all those things.... More rules? No thanks. The one hard and fast one for me: Putting away money for savings. (That "debt" part, I do not understand. Paying debt should be part of the "monthly expenses.") XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with the mornings!
      And I don't see them as rules, BTW, they're kind of common sense strategies? And I would think savings should be higher, but hey.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Goals, promises, and resolutions all fail. I do make a list daily of things I want to accomplish, otherwise nothing is going to get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do resolutions. Never happen.
      And I don't really do a list of things, but I do know what each day should bring. Work is very structured, so I don't worry too much about being sidetracked.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1/19/2024

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I actually brush my teeth right after breakfast and before bed because I wear a mouth guard (the dentist says I grind my teeth) so I don’t want any bacteria festering under there. I also like that my dentist supplies me with a soft brush head for my electric toothbrush.

    I am an early morning person basically because I had pets to take care of before I drove to work. Now that I’m WFH, the remaining pets are still on the same schedule, plus it provides some “me” time before I start my day.

    Growing up in a home with 6 boys, you ate fast or you didn’t eat 😝. Unfortunately I’m still a quick eater, but I’m constantly trying to slow down. I’ve tried putting the fork down between bites, but I slip back into my old routine. At my age I think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big says,
      Huntley, there's fast and then there's my FIL. He hasn't even finished chewing what is in his mouth before he's shoveling more in. XOXO

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes.
      Before bed is mandatory. Duh. And I didn't know you started wearing a mouth guard. You're the third person who tells me that. And your dentist is awesome. Mine gives me floss and the usual tiny toothpaste.


      XOXO

      Delete
  5. As soon as I start a book, I always feel like I have to finish it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh.
      It gets to me because sometimes I dilly-dally with a book that's doing nothing for me because I started it!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. love #4 (you'll learn a lot if you read) and #7 (people .. who? who's care?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yes, reading if fundamental. And people are going to be... people. Right?

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    10 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.