Go back in time

Show more

Lucky Star

 


Two Fridays ago, I went to see Madonna at the United Center.

This is my fourth Madonna concert. It was absolutely fabulous, as expected. It's Madonna! She may not have Whitney Houston’s pipes, but the girl can put on a show. The girlies were all out in all their Madonna glory, sporting looks that literally spanned four decades: from the 80's Madonna that both dear Anne Marie and I love, to the more contemporary Madonna. People of all genders were all decked out in Madonnamania and it was glorious. I wore all black, giving Papa Don't Preach realness. Leather jacket and all.

I had a blast, of course. Because what else can one do in a Madonna concert but have fun and dance the night away? She also sang some of my favorite songs and was in very good form. She's over sixty and was up jumping and dancing and moving around for more than two hours. And I danced with her. And so sis probably twenty thousand other fans. The girl still has it. 

Honey Dijon opened her show with a super fun (and bouncy) set before Bob the Drag Queen strutted in to Michael Jackson's Wanna Be Starting Something. And then Madonna came in. She did virtually everything: came out of the floor, flew across the pit on a plastic cube, sat on a piano her daughter was playing, judged a Vogueing face off during Vogue, did Like a Virgin with a copy of herself and did funny banter with Bob the Drag Queen. I had a blast.

We were sitting surrounded by people who were obviously long time fans (somebody had an original Who's That Girl t-shirt!!! I asked!!!) and some attending their first Madonna concert and the energy was palpable: Madonna always surprises with her shows. They look deceptively simple when they start (just a stage and a runway) and then the fireworks and the twenty feet screens and the mechanics start. There's a lot of thought put on the set and on the storyline. She always tells a story. This one started with her leaving Michigan and ended with her still singing, more than forty years after that first time she came down that cake during the first VMAs. 

And I got me some merch, of course:




I'll always be a Madonna fan.

XOXO

P.S. some (very bad) pics and videos from the concert:


































Comments

  1. Anonymous2/16/2024

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I’m glad she was in top form for the show! Looks like you had a blast! Not bad for an old broad 😜

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh, she was fantastic and I did have a blast!! I was going to send you a photo of the arena full but I decided to post it here instead...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Did you know that Madonna is half Italian? Her paternal grandparents were natives of Pacentro, in Abruzzo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do!
      She's second generation Italian. With that last name? Of course she is.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Louise Veronica Ciccone: with such names!

      Delete
    3. Madonna Louise. Her name is actually Madonna.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I had a blast. Her concerts are always super fun and interesting.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it so much and got some fab merch! I see that her fascination with the art of Lempicka got worked into her show too, that's great. And Bob the Drag Queen -- love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was fun.
      And the merch was kinda expensive, but you know that's how they make the moola. And she did bring Tamara again (she's referenced her since the Express Yourself video) for the retrospective.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I too have always been a long-term fan of Madonna at least until recently. I just cannot get past this plastic surgery thing of hers. She does not even look like herself. I just saw a picture of Blondie and I wish Madonna would follow her act more and age like a rock star. I found Madonna to be so pretty before, but that's here or there. I've seen two of her concerts and loved both of them and I enjoyed all of her music from the beginning probably all the way up till the last album. There wasn't much on that one I cared for much. And it blows my mind that some of my younger friends, the few that there are in their twenties can barely name any old Madonna songs. Talk about making you feel old! LMAO!

    And I've never seen you but I have a feeling if I saw you in jeans a T-shirt and black leather jacket I would probably get hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2/18/2024

      HuntleyBiGuy: Yes. Yes you “wood.” 😎

      Delete
    2. Oh she was in top form and looked awesome.
      They showed her face on close-up in a twenty feet tall screen. I would have gotten surgery, too.
      And I loved Madame X. Very world-flavored. And the young gays need to be slapped for not knowing Gay Herstory!

      LOL I did look slightly slutty in tight pants and a leather jacket, have to admit it.

      XOXO

      Delete
    3. LOL!!!! Huntley....we can put Six in the middle!!!! I suspect he might enjoy a spit roast!!!!

      Delete
    4. Oh, Mads.
      Not like you'd have to give him ideas!
      LMAOOOO

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Big says,
    See? Now that's what I call an entertainer. The talented ones who have the goods sustain. Those who don't, well, they're gone after a few years and after a decade or so, it's "Who???" LOL
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she's a fantastic entertainer.
      Very well thought out concert and song list. Awesome stage changes and fantastic sound and lights. I had a blast.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    6 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.