Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Abel…

 




It's been a hot minute since I heard from Abel Arana. I used to follow him here on blogger. He used to write @lacolumnadeabelarana, a riotous, irreverent, smart, sexy blog that is sadly, not updated anymore. 



One of the things Abel usually talks is being a gay man of a certain age in a world where being a gay man of a certain age is almost certainly a ticket to being invisible.



What makes him fun is that he absolutely refuses to let that define him. He acknowledges it and moves on. Oh, does he post the occasional thirst trap? Of course! Does he look back at his life in those #throwbackthursdays where he looks all of twenty-five? Yes, he does. Is he snarky, yet insightful in the not-so-rare post? Indeed. And that's refreshing.


"I just renewed my contract with singledom for a year with an option to expand to five"




"There's always people who are in my prayers: in the part that says 'and deliver us from evil'"


And this is the book that I am going to ask my friend @merlinpurpura to get for me in Spain. It's called A Fag at Fifty: The Martyr Life. 


"Have you hit forty and feel as if you're slowly but surely becoming invisible? What I'm going through is the same you are going through. Or what you will be going through eventually. It's going to get uncomfortable at times and sometimes it's going to get serious. And sometimes we're going to laugh a lot. So just let me tell you our story..."

Sounds intriguing, no? I wish more gay men would write about life after forty. And after fifty. And after sixty. And after seventy. I think that's what makes blogging interesting, to be honest: we read about men's lives in every stage: when we're coming out, when we're whoring around, when we're getting married, when we are single, when we have fun, when we are down. 

I wish we would more of that. So, do you have any suggestions of people you follow that I'd enjoy following? It does not matter if it's just Dick Blogs (I like those too!) but I'm more interested in bloggers who talk. Go ahead, babes. Hit me up...

XOXO

Comments

  1. Sounds like he's got a good sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he's a riot!
      I used to read his blog all the time, and he's got some books out that are fab.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is!
      Very few older gay men have a voice out there...

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Big says,
    Old.... Oh, yeah. Sadly it happens in all walks of life; we are all put out to pasture before we are actually ready to be finished. But I think it happens earlier in the gay community where youth and beauty hold higher value. Keeping a sense of humor about it is the key to survival. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the gayz are ageist to a point!
      I think that what Abel has done is fantastic. He's got the lemons and made lemonade. The idea of not facing stupidity with humor is just a losing game.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Being about to turn 76 I have moved beyond invisible to transparent. But I do write about me on my blog mostly. Just a conversation with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love what you write.
      I think not all blogs are the same and not all of us write for the same public, but I do need that diverse voices are needed. Keep on writing!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. even invisible? Perhaps, less visible. I swear to you that I know 25 year old guys who love to have sex with men who are a generation or two apart. I know of 25 year old guys who love having sex with 70/80 year old men, who could be their grandpas. And not for money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there ARE men who prefer older gentlemen.
      It's hot.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. it is a preference that almost borders on fetishism

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2/12/2024

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Nothing but respect for him. As we get older everything gets tougher.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything.
      I love his attitude, though. So much fun.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Anonymous2/12/2024

    You probly already know John Grey of Going Gently, but just in case you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do!
      He was one of the first people I started following when I came back to Blogger!
      He's a sweetheart.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Cuenta con ello! Abrazos y picos a granel y al por mayor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sos un tesoro!!!
      Mil picos, desde la PM

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    6 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.