Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Sinners…!

 






The Oscar for best movie should have gone to Sinners. 

I know the movie still won three Oscars, one of them for Michael B. Jordan for best male actor, though. ButI think it should have won Best Movie because it is a very good film. On the surface it's a vampire movie.  Oh, yes. there are vampires in the movie. But to say that Sinners is a vampire movie is like saying that French cuisine is about butter. Now, some spoilers.

This is one of those movies that benefits from the big screen. But if you did not see it in cinemas or it is not showing in any of your usual hangouts, just bite the bullet and watch it again streaming. The second viewing will let you appreciate the saga of the the twins after WWII leaving the Midwest to go to the swampy South to try and get a fresh start. It may be clearer now how whiteness impeded BIPOC from actually owning anything or progressing. Pay attention to the way money moves in the movie, who has it and who keeps it. That alone can keep you entertained.

Also, the title Sinners may be applied to the relationships the twins have with married women but it also explores family, community and cultural expressions (that music joint is much, much more than an ex-Klan kill house and a place of refuge from the outside world). Simmers addresses the Jim Crow South, colonialism, immigration (the vampire is Irish and he wants much, much more than blood, babes) and resilience amidst crushing oppression. There's anachronisms, myth, metaphor and deep meaning in this movie. That's why I think it should have won the little bald guy statue. 

So, yeah. Not just a vampire movie.

XOXO


P.S. That ballet dancer in the Oscars number? That's THE Misty Copeland. Three months after hip replacement. How about that, Shallowmet?



P.P.S. The movie (and that Oscar bit) also gives you Buddy Guy, who plays Sammie Moore later in life. I’m sure you did not miss him during the epilogue of the movie when Stack and Mary find Sammie and offer him immortality.


Comments

  1. One of my favorite movies from last year. I didn't see whatever movie won Best Picture so I cannot say ... but I will say Michael B Jordan completely deserved his Oscar; he's a great actor on top of being incredibly hot and both his roles in the movie were perfection.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!!!
      I saw it in theaters and I've streamed it because it was GOOD. And Jordan did an excellent job. AND he's scorchingly hot. Yum.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on Jordan, he played 2 distinctly different characters. I did think One Battle After Another was the better film. While you may have cheered at Jordan and his machine gun at the end of Sinners, I though DiCaprio's conversation with is daughter (who wasn't really his daughter) about his love for her was stronger. One film dealt with racism in the 40s, the other dealt with racism and white supremacy in today's world; the Christmas Adventurer's club lampooned white, billionaire, Christian nationalists who have no problem killing one of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jordan did an excellent acting job.
      The first time I saw the movie I thought they were two different people. Then the twin bit dropped.
      I think DiCaprio was another White Anchor version of the White Savior. Sinners did not have really sympathetic withe characters. At all. And it was not only the racism. That was not even subtext. It was the LAYERS in Sinners what One Battle After Another lacked. The cultural and ethnic references. There's no nuance, just Leonardo screaming.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Big says,
    I thought Sinners would take it but it got steamrolled by One Battle After Another. Dave's interpretation is spot on: Both films dealt with the same themes, but in different eras. There were no truly deserving films; not really. It was a very weird year (again). Every one of the ten was flawed by wasted frames/scenes.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they shared one theme: racism.
      In the core, they are two very different approaches to movie making. I think Sinners should have won.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I've put it on the "to see" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you HAVE to.
      And watch it with someone. The layers keep peeling off and you'll want a sounding board...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I liked it but it was overblown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes.
      It was a vampire movie. It also introduced anachronistic references and some very particular references to the American South.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3/24/2026

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Michel B. Jordan? Say nothing more 🥵

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍đź’‹‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • El Ăşltimo ángel - Con la venia de le lectore que estaba encantade con la heterosorna, hago una pausa. El 5 de agosto de 2012 mis hermanas y yo estábamos almorzando en la ...
    1 day ago
  • AGOSTO "UNPLUGGED" - Pasada la primera mitad del mes con los calores y el momento *eclipse*, que acaparĂł la atenciĂłn en medio del ralentĂ­ y la calma chicha del verano, empeza...
    3 days ago
  • Compañías invisibles - Hoy amaneciĂł lloviendo. La casa todavĂ­a estaba envuelta en ese silencio suave, que sĂłlo conocen las mañanas de lluvia. La cafetera comenzĂł a cantar en la...
    4 weeks ago
  • Mirando la vuelta - [image: El showman, Abelardo De La Espriella: los actos de su campaña - La Silla VacĂ­a] [image: Consejo Gremial rechaza invitaciĂłn de Cepeda a dialoga...
    2 months ago
  • - Hoy camine algunas calles de la ciudad que habito, podrĂ­a decirse que aunque la habito me siento ajeno, basta caminar o mirar las montañas para darse cuen...
    7 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.