Oh, It's Not Your Fit…
I forgot I was going to talk about this and then Dave's post yesterday about him getting GQ reminded me of it (whomever is giving him that subscription, I'm here. HELLO....?). So here’s the thing: for New Year's I wore some pants that I had bought last November. They needed to be tailored, though, because they were too long for me. It's kind of the off-the-rack curse: anything mass-produced has to be long enough for everybody and wide enough for everybody. Right?
Wrong.
When I went to wear the pants, the length was perfect. The tailor did an excellent job. The problem was the waist. It was supposed to be a 32, but it felt like it was a 30. I like to wear roomy pants when they are wide-leg because the line feels and looks better IMHO. It's also more comfy. It's New Year's. I'm going to eat like an animal and probably drink one Khalua or three. I need to have space to move.
I had not gained too much weight during the year (I usually fluctuate between two or three pounds throughout the year, but that is not really too noticeable, especially in the waist and having a few inches to spare) so I was surprised to feel the pants fit well, but they were not roomy. As in ‘yes, I’ll have that scone also’ roomy.
I chalk it up to the way Zara sizes their clothes. Their pants usually fit me like a glove and that threw me off. Was I fat? I know I gain a pound or two over the holidays (all of Huntley's cookies are to partially blame, because yes) but I had not gained that much. I think I agree with the speaker in the video when he says that brands are totally obsessed with the skinny. I do not look like a Zara model. I'm your average height, average weight guy (but I'm biased, you'll have to ask Huntley or Mads). I used to be on the slim side (kind of) when I was twenty, but it's been a long while since then.
I did not feel bad, mind you. I felt great and had a fab time at the New Year's party, but the fit of the pants stuck with me. There's a subtle pressure in the industry to make you feel like you need to be closer to what the brand is than to what you can comfortably do. Their models are usually very tall (I'm around 5'8" in Doc Martens) and kinda average (I'm around 160 lbs now that I have eaten my way around two holidays) so the clothes are not going to fit me the way they fit the store mannequins or the models in their webpage.
I am also very much not an Instagram 'influencer', so I don't have to be a clotheshorse. But I AM a gay man who's used to his clothes fitting well and used to just picking my size and not even bother with trying them on at the store and that fit left me thinking. But fuck it. I guess next time I'll have to try the fit in the store.
Sorry, Zara. If I have to go up one size or two to feel comfy, then I'll do it. Pity it's not Instagrammable.
XOXO
More and more clothing companies are making clothes fitted and think of only the skinny! I too with this oral surgery, now behind me I may add, lost a total of almost 30 lbs. I'm now down to 136! So now even some of my skinny pants and jeans feel loose. So I had not bought any clothes lately. Like you, for me, it's almost always the length. My waist is currently at 30/29. But I am watching what I eat! Cripes losing almost 30 pounds was like free! Just in time for square cut season!!!!! I am doing more squats and jogs though. I did even lose some ass weight! And I love my legs and ass.
ReplyDeleteand ps, I met to send Dave a Freshmen subscription, not a GQ one, lol!!!!!
Whoa.
DeleteThirty pounds!! And I feel you. I'm buying less clothes than ever. And I'd kill for a 30/29 inch waist! LOL
LMAOOO Freshmen may be more appropriate!!
XOXO
HuntleyBiGuy:
ReplyDeleteI would consider you very height/weight proportional and you look damn fine on skinny jeans. I would think you would have no problem finding off the rack fits.
XOXO 👨🏼❤️💋👨🏽
Oh, you flatterer!!
DeleteAnd I usually don't have any trouble finding stuff off the rack. That's why this Zara situation kinda threw me off....
XOXO
I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam. My legs are short, but everything else is long. Pants with a 29" inseam usually have a 28" waist. Buying pants can be a nightmare. And I told Maddie I'd much prefer a subscription to Honcho, though I don't think it's in print anymore.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean!
DeleteThe manfriend is the same. I'm a 30" inseam so off the rack is usually very easy for me. Except with Zara. Even H&M gets me!
And I WISH they were still printing Honcho! I used to get them second hand in Pittsburgh in this tiny bookstore in the south side.
XOXO
Big says,
ReplyDelete6', 148lbs, 31" waist, 32" inseam (if I remember correctly) when I entered the military. Now? 5'11", 198lbs, 36" - 32" (but, the 501s are now too long - or too short if I get the 30" inseam). The M.D. prevents me from real exercise. Life shrinks height and adds width. But, the whole "skinny" craze makes me nuts.
XOXO
P.S. Seems to me Inches subscription would be the choice. Is that even in print anymore?
You had model measurements in the military. For real.
DeleteAnd I'm a 30 in Levi's. I usually get 32 if I get a straight cut, though. I like that line.
I can do skinny, though.
XOXO
Such a profound take on a common frustration, Sixpence! 'It’s not your fit' is going to be my new mantra for the week. Thanks for the reminder to stop forcing things and just let the garden (and life) grow. Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteIt's a scam!
DeleteAnd they want to make me feel chunky. LMAOOO
I think we do not need to follow whatever the brands tell us but what we WANT.
XOXO
I like my pants well-tailored and not loose. My husband likes his pants one or two waist sizes too big. I’m about 6'2" with a 32˝ waist and can usually buy right off the rack. I enjoy shopping at Zara.
ReplyDeleteI got into this thing of wide legged pants and I love it.
DeleteI still do fitted/skinny jeans, though. I like that Hedi Slimane look way too much!
Zara is rad.
XOXO