Oh, Jerry...!
As he says, hindsight is 20/20. Who knew?
I think we all need to hear this kind of stories. Not everything is post-Stonewall or post-Obergefell. There was a time before that when being you was full of quirks and dangers that we don't see now.
Also how fucking handsome was/is he?
XOXO
P. S. His book is a thing.
It's people like Jerry that we are here today; he stepped out, perhaps quietly and still closeted, but paved the way for the rest of us to come along.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jerry.
xoxo
Life was so fucking difficult when you were gay back then!!
DeleteDamn.
XOXO
HuntleyBiGuy:
ReplyDeleteWow, what an amazing story. These are the stories we need to hear. People making their lives work for them, however it may be flawed. Not everyone experiences life in the same way. There is no right or wrong, only what is good for you.
XOXO 👨🏼❤️💋👨🏽
He did make his life work for him.
DeleteIt was risky, living with another man at that time....
XOXO
It's people like him and people that I've met in the past, that I can listen to these stories all day. I don't know what it was but I think people had bigger brass balls back then. People are too easy to just settle and accept things now whether it's right or wrong in my opinion. What happened to the fight and fire the people once had?
ReplyDeleteOh, people were fearless sometimes.
DeleteReally. It could cost them EVERYTHING to be with another man.
People are too complacent nowadays....
XOXO
Interesting. What a complicated life he has had. I did chuckle a few times. I think his not sending his book to the daughter who rejected him is a good indicator of how he lived most of his life.
ReplyDeleteI know, right?
DeleteHe said something along the lines that if she did want to find the book, she would....
XOXO
It’s stories like Jerry’s that remind us just how much weight the generations before us had to carry in silence. Bob is right—people like him paved the way, even if the path they had to walk was complicated and flawed. It takes a lot of courage to live your truth when the world is actively trying to suppress it. Thanks for sharing such an important piece of history
ReplyDeleteOh, absolutely.
DeleteIt was a thorny path. Dangerous and totally unexplored. He did find a way to live his truth, though..>
XOXO