Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Armistead...!

 


Apparently the summer of 1969 was quite the summer for @ArmisteadMaupin. Man went to the moon, Woodstock was a thing and he had sex with a man for the first time. And our first time always stays with us. It's momentous, it's thrilling and it's very, very nerve wrecking. 

I also remember that first man I ever had sex with. And I agree with Armistead. It was a fast but exciting and incredible moment. I had fooled around with some boys, but had never had SEX. As in I was past thirteen - almost fourteen- and had kissed some boys and had let some boys get to first base. Maybe gotten to second base with some older boys. But that was about it. 

Then one day I was alone with one of the older boys (he was about seventeen, and at that age, he seemed like a man to me) and he was very nice, we talked about some stupid stuff (I think it was tv shows?) and then he asked me if he could kiss me. I said yes (little tramp I was) and I let him feel me up. I did the same, and to my surprise, he took his dick out and put my hand on it. I did not know what to do. Was I supposed to just touch it? It seemed way too big, compared to the ones I've felt under other boy's pants and I felt my whole body kind of vibrate, just by holding him in my hand, my heart beating in sync with him. Then he was kissing me, feeling me up and trying to get my shirt off. I kind of froze. As in I literally could not move. My brain was trying to catch up with my body.

Next thing I knew, he was all over me, trying to fuck me. He then pushed in and I panicked and moved away. He came all over my shorts. All I could think about was that I had just been with a man for the first time, that he smelled incredibly good and that I had no idea what to do next. He zipped me up, cleaned himself up and kissed me. And that was it. 

I got back to my house dizzy and literally in a state of shock. I went straight to my room, laid on my bed and stared at the ceiling for what seemed to be hours. I could still feel his touch all over my body. I was vibrating like a fucking violin. His smell (a combination of after shave, soap and some kind of powdery aroma -think Corn Huskers lotion- enveloped me like a cloud) stayed with me for hours. 

I only snapped out of it when I was called to dinner. I imagine my mom and grandmother noticed something was off but I'm sure they chalked it up to me being... me. They probably imagined I was thinking about school or some book I was reading at the time. I sometimes got into moods (I was a teen, after all) and they were used to it. But I could not get the whole experience out of my head. 

I fooled around with him many other times after that. He showed how I could make him feel good and he certainly made me feel good. I lost track of him after some time, though. When I left home for college he was nothing but a good memory, but his smell has stayed with me all these years. Sometimes I get a whiff of a man's cologne that reminds me of the way he smelled and my whole body remembers. The sense of smell is a powerful thing, babes. Like Armistead says, after being with a man for the first time, I felt like a newly minted human being. I felt impossibly grown up (which is a joke, because I was obviously just a teen boy) but the idea of having had sex with another man made me feel... powerful. Almost invincible. Thank goodness I was not on tour of duty and did not have to go back to a destroyer after that. I was not ready for any war games.


XOXO


P.S. Armistead is awesome. One of the first 'gay' book series I read was Tales of the City and I loved them. The series is also on Netflix, BTW.




Comments

  1. I loved his stories and have seen them all on TV, too.
    Your first time sounds like many of us. I still, to this day, will catch a whiff of a scent and suddenly I'm fifteen again.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I binged those books like there was no tomorrow. Same with the series.
      And that man spoiled me. Nowadays, when a man smells great, the basement floods....

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. He's a wonderful novelist. The summer of '69 I'd heard about Woodstock, of course but I was 16 and going was out of the question. And, other than jerking off together, still hadn't had sex with anyone. That didn't happen until 2 years later with what turned out to be wife #1. So that summer was going to work every day in a factory. How exciting, eh?
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's fantastic at telling stories.
      And I think Woodstock is a seminal moment in American music history. Never repeated. So you guys were just masturbating all the time and nothing else?? I would have not able to do it.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Big says,
      Yep...choking the chicken was as far as it went. More's the pity.
      XOXO

      Delete
  3. "felt like a freshly-minted human being" -- great phrase! Wonderful video too. His stories, whether based in fact or fiction, are always worth listening to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he fabulous?
      I love his stories. His writing style is a fantastic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Maupin is one of my heroes. As for my first time with a man, it wasn’t until I was 27. But there was no way I could have emotionally dealt with anything at the age of 14 or 15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Love him.
      And I started young LOL It was never too much of an issue, TBH.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5/08/2026

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    What an amazing life. He’s quite handsome in his uniform and he had a good head on his shoulders regarding the challenges and dangers of the era.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍đź’‹‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that group pic with all those marines?
      Hawt.
      And I cannot imagine how much they risked. He talked about that man that was courtmartialed. It was no joke. They would ruin your life.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous5/10/2026

    The world had NOT come to an end, such true words from a first experience in gay sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?
      Especially people who have had to stay closeted or people who came out in the fifties, sixties and seventies.
      Not everybody is post-Obergefell...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.