Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Costume Art...?

 

Costume art. I know, groundbreaking.

But I think this is a good chance to actually see how art and fashion intertwine (this exhibit is what all those celebs went to see during the Met Gala, BTW) because sometimes we don't connect the dots on that. This is also couture, though, mostly very exclusive and well, museum worthy. But those nineteenth century dresses were worn but real, living people, I’m sure...

Notice also how it’s overwhelmingly clothes directed at women. That is probably because women were denied any kind of agency and fashion was assigned to them as the one thing they could control or direct, hence making fashion a ‘feminine’ endeavor. Nothing further from the truth.


XOX

P.S. the curator is fab. And he's rocking that Thom Browne attire. I wanna go out and have coffee with him and learn everything about this exhibit.

P.P.S. notice the names appearing a the end of the video... the exhibition is made possible by....
They are trying hard.

Comments

  1. Fabulous and fascinating exhibit. So many things you never think, or thought, about.
    Now, about those cretins listed at the end ...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fab?
      I love it when they do connect the dots between two things we don't usually put together.
      And those idiots are trying way too hard to be 'cool'.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Big says,
    Well, women ARE the shoppers and, at least until recently, men didn't really think much about "fashion." We had functional pants, shirts, and shoes, a suit, maybe a tux. (Not referring to the Dandy men or royalty of the Elizabethan era.)
    The one thing I really do like about that exhibition: The paring of artworks.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! BTW, this is an exhibit Maddie probably needs to see. I think he'd love it!

      Delete
    2. We plan to Pat! When I go up for Gay Pride I said we've got to make time for this.

      Delete
    3. Well, women never had too much agency, so shopping was the thing.
      I think men are kind of delusional thinking fashion is not a 'thing'. Even the most functional cargo pants were designed by somebody and that is fashion.

      I agree with the interesting connections with the artworks. Very cool.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. When I go up to New York for gay pride I already told Mr Smiley's number one fan we have to make time to see this. I think we're planning on going. I have seen seven or eight fashion exhibits at the Met and every single one of them is stunning .

    And don't think I didn't see his name, I knew it was probably going to be him. Another friend of mine in New York had told me because of Jeff bezos's involvement in the museum now one of their biggest art donors has pulled out as long as he is attached to the museum. It makes me wonder how common this is going to be come? People do not want to associated with these greedy billionaires and right-wing conservatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, YES!
      It's kind of a must do, right? The Met is kind of a mandatory stop when in NY.
      And of course it was gonna be Bezos. The techbros are trying too hard to be considered 'cultured'. No amount of money will give them taste.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I suppose the copper inlay nipples were for those poor souls who's nipples never got past their little boy stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's the small size, Dave.
      You'll have to go to the men's section if you wanna see bigger nipples....

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6/11/2026

    Bezos’ patronage will become influence peddling at the Met.
    He and others of his ilk will decide what the museum displays and in what context.
    Rex in DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Rex. It's going to change the landscape and the pleasure of the museum. And not in a good way.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely.
      They want to have a say on everything. And they have no sense of style, taste or culture. Ugh.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • El último ángel - Con la venia de le lectore que estaba encantade con la heterosorna, hago una pausa. El 5 de agosto de 2012 mis hermanas y yo estábamos almorzando en la ...
    1 day ago
  • AGOSTO "UNPLUGGED" - Pasada la primera mitad del mes con los calores y el momento *eclipse*, que acaparó la atención en medio del ralentí y la calma chicha del verano, empeza...
    3 days ago
  • Compañías invisibles - Hoy amaneció lloviendo. La casa todavía estaba envuelta en ese silencio suave, que sólo conocen las mañanas de lluvia. La cafetera comenzó a cantar en la...
    4 weeks ago
  • Mirando la vuelta - [image: El showman, Abelardo De La Espriella: los actos de su campaña - La Silla Vacía] [image: Consejo Gremial rechaza invitación de Cepeda a dialoga...
    2 months ago
  • - Hoy camine algunas calles de la ciudad que habito, podría decirse que aunque la habito me siento ajeno, basta caminar o mirar las montañas para darse cuen...
    7 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.