Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Fashion, you said...?


Anthony van Dyck, Lord John Stuart und sein Bruder Lord Be… | Flickr


 


Both brothers (here 17 and 16) would die in the English Civil War (when they were about twenty). fighting on the Royalist side. They would have been considered 'Cavaliers', a term used by the Roundheads to refer to wealthy Royalist supporters of King Charles I and his son during the English Civil War. Even though the word would allude to political and social attitudes and behavior, it would also later also include the fashionable clothes of the court at that time.

Yeah, fashionable.

Funny all you can get, from a pile of... 'stuff'.

XOXO


The Devil Wears Prada Movie Meryl Streep GIF - The Devil Wears Prada ...



Comments

  1. Anonymous6/02/2026

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    It’s amazing all of the detail in the clothing and the way she describes its purpose. Even more astounding is the painting. The realism is haunting.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible.
      Especially knowing that things were done BY HAND, mainly. She is very thorough and the connection she makes with the social moment is really great.
      Love the painting.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Big says,
    For as much as I hate clothing, and as stunning as those duds are, it would've been torture for me to have to don all that "stuff."
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were a Royal, you would have no saying whatsoever.
      It came with the privilege.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. It is a lot of "stuff" to wear. I'm glad I was born in a different time for I surely would have been arrested for public nudity in those days!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you could have been a king and then walk around with no clothes...
      But really at that time your status WAS your clothes.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I love period dressing. I think I could have done it, and enjoyed it, and just hoped I wasn't a slut back then. Because when I'm horny and want sex, these ensembles would have been hell to get off quick! Hence nice skinny jeans, commando, and a tee shirt and that's it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      And you know these people were as slutty as they could. I KNOW they found ways to get it on. Also, I believe they were basically commando half of the time...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6/03/2026

    Van Dyke, peintre flamand de style baroque à la cour royale d’Angleterre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6/03/2026

    De si belles satins, soies et velours.
    Les frères Stuart, d’une époque où les cours royales d’Europe copiaient la teneu et les manières de la cour royale de France.
    Van Dyck était un peintre flamand de style baroque à la cour royale de l’Angleterre. Il présente bien les frères Stuart. Les frères Stuart ressemblent aux frères Walker du rock et roll :)
    -Beau Mec à Deauville 🇫🇷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an absolute riot of luxury.
      It payed to be a Royal. Well, they would send you to die in a stupid war, but you could wear absolutely stunning things...
      And you're right, very Rock and Roll of them...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • El último ángel - Con la venia de le lectore que estaba encantade con la heterosorna, hago una pausa. El 5 de agosto de 2012 mis hermanas y yo estábamos almorzando en la ...
    1 day ago
  • AGOSTO "UNPLUGGED" - Pasada la primera mitad del mes con los calores y el momento *eclipse*, que acaparó la atención en medio del ralentí y la calma chicha del verano, empeza...
    3 days ago
  • Compañías invisibles - Hoy amaneció lloviendo. La casa todavía estaba envuelta en ese silencio suave, que sólo conocen las mañanas de lluvia. La cafetera comenzó a cantar en la...
    4 weeks ago
  • Mirando la vuelta - [image: El showman, Abelardo De La Espriella: los actos de su campaña - La Silla Vacía] [image: Consejo Gremial rechaza invitación de Cepeda a dialoga...
    2 months ago
  • - Hoy camine algunas calles de la ciudad que habito, podría decirse que aunque la habito me siento ajeno, basta caminar o mirar las montañas para darse cuen...
    7 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.