Oh, stop that train...!

A spoof is a type of comedic work that satirizes other genres, films, or cultural phenomena by exaggerating their most recognizable features. Spoofs have been created in a variety of mediums such as movies, TV shows, books, or even songs. They rely heavily on comedy, irony, and exaggeration to create a humorous twist on the original material. @studiobinder
There. I just wanted to make sure that was out there. There's a difference between a spoof and a parody. Spoofs work for me. Parodies? They kind of have moments here and there. Now, on to the movie: it was hilarious. Just the incredible amount of gags will have me watching again once it's streaming (the director told Big Dipper and Meatball that he did not know it was going to be a theatrical release, so I’m sure it’ll go into streaming soon) but I wanted to see it in theaters. There is something, you know, about seeing a movie in theaters that is different. Maybe Nicole Kidman is right about that....
Stop. That. Train is a funny spoof. I think a spoof stands on its own and screws its parts for our delight and that’s why I like them. It winks its eye at us with its tongue firmly in cheek, because it does not take itself seriously at all. Oh, and if you're worried about Drag, don't be. There's no Drag in this movie. Only hilarious characters and profoundly silly situations. And cameos. We did a truffle game at the movie theater where we would eat a truffle every time we spotted a cameo. It was madness. Do recommend.
BTW, the protagonist is not actually RuPaul, it's one of the girls. It's not a big budget film (we knew that) and it's absolutely stupid. But it’s not an acting challenge, if you think it may not be polished. It gives you big screen energy. Will you laugh? Yes. Will you cringe? Yes. Will you want more? Yes. It's ridiculous fun with some very talented people helping us laugh along the way. It's not Spielberg (with whom it was competing on opening day, the NERVE!), but it does not need to be. Because all I needed on Friday was a good laugh. And I got that.
I'd say go see it. Go tomorrow, because most cineplexes have a Movie Tuesday feature and you pay only like $6 per tix and sometimes they give you popcorn! Just to add to the movie's box office and make Pride month even gay-er. And to allow for more Queer movies to be made. Money talks. Loud and clear.
Happy Pride!
XOXO
The Guardian said is the funniest action comedy disaster film of the summer. We're going on cheapo night.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was hysterical.
DeleteAnd going to the movies on cheapo night is the best.
XOXO
As much as I enjoy, adore, love and did and do drag and drag queens, I think I will have to past on this till it hits On Demand. No offense to Ru, but I feel burnt out of the Drag Race series and Ru in general. It seems there is no turning anywhere, where she isn't. She doesn't take a break like Madge...she is just getting over saturated at this point. But I will see it at some point. That being said I have been enjoying Michelle in a show I just binged called Smoggie Queens. Her character Elaine is hilarious! It's a Brit show and jut got renewed for another season.
ReplyDeleteI love the Queens.
DeleteI thought it was more a vehicle for them than for Ru. And I think she does not take anything for granted and just keeps grinding.
Smoggie Queens? Hysterical.
XOXO
I want to see it because it looks funny-stupid and that's my wheelhouse, but I will also wait until OnDemand shows it.
ReplyDeleteThough, to be fair, Nicole Kidman is right about everything.
xoxo
It is funny-stupid in the best way possible.
DeleteI'll catch it in streaming too cause I just didn't get all the cameos or the gags!
And yes about Nicole.
XOXO
Big says,
ReplyDeleteIt does look quite funny. I laughed and snorted a couple time just watching the trailer. Spoofs can be quite good, especially if certain scenes or lines have staying power. Airplane is a good example --- people still quote lines from that.
XOXO
It is super funny.
DeleteI think everybody will find something hysterical in it.
Love Airplane!
XOXO
Talk about trans-portation :)
ReplyDeleteReminds me of the 1979 tv show Super Train and the 1976 movie The Big Bus.
Given the gravity and lunacy of these Trumpian maga times we’re living in, we need as much comedy as possible.
-Rj
LOL
DeleteGood one!
And I will have to look for those! Love me a spoof.
And you are right: we need fun things cause the daily fuckery just does NOT STOP!
XOXO