Go back in time

Show more

Oh, My Guy...!

 


Think about this song as the response to Stay With Me when Sam had to do what the record label wanted. In that video, we cannot see who the person in the bed is. The default was: heterosexual. Now that they have more autonomy, we can get songs like this one. Openly singing to the man they love.

Also remember that homosexuality was decriminalized in the US in 2003.

Obergefell happened in 2015, one year after Stay with Me came out.

Some food for thought.

XOXO


P.S. I love @SamSmith. Can't wait for the new album to drop....




Comments

  1. It's a love song, everyone can understand and relate to that. whether it's Sam singing to a man or not.
    Plus it's music ... just enjoy it.
    I'm glad they're releasing new music; I love that voice!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love songs are awesome.
      And yes! New music is coming up!
      I'm ready for it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Not a fan of the voice....but, you know the music comes from the heart --- as it should. That's how it impacts for a lifetime.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Sam's voice.
      It's the way the songs are delivered what gets me. Every time.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. You hit the nail on the head—that "default heterosexual" lens on early music videos was so real, even when the underlying heartbreak felt completely universal. It’s beautiful to see how much more freedom and authenticity artists have now compared to just a decade ago. It really makes you appreciate the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.
      From the jump, it's the whole boy/girl thing for everybody. Artists have come a long way, as you say, in just a decade. We've had some incredible Queer artists releasing songs that are better aligned with who they are and who they love.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Sammy either hits it out of the park, or he misses. This one didn't get out of the infield for me. If I could get a nickel every time he sang My Guy, I could buy a decent bottle of wine. I kept thinking about Streisand's version of My Man in which she sang about her man. Maybe Sammy should record his version of that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, he IS singing 'My Guy' everywhere.
      That is the point of the post. I'm sure people born in the fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties and early 'aughts did not have someone like Sam, singing "My Guy' everywhere.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Beautiful love songs are even better when they have honest videos to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?
      I really liked the video for Stay With Me because I love that song, but this one? So true to the intent of the song!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • El último ángel - Con la venia de le lectore que estaba encantade con la heterosorna, hago una pausa. El 5 de agosto de 2012 mis hermanas y yo estábamos almorzando en la ...
    1 day ago
  • AGOSTO "UNPLUGGED" - Pasada la primera mitad del mes con los calores y el momento *eclipse*, que acaparó la atención en medio del ralentí y la calma chicha del verano, empeza...
    3 days ago
  • Compañías invisibles - Hoy amaneció lloviendo. La casa todavía estaba envuelta en ese silencio suave, que sólo conocen las mañanas de lluvia. La cafetera comenzó a cantar en la...
    4 weeks ago
  • Mirando la vuelta - [image: El showman, Abelardo De La Espriella: los actos de su campaña - La Silla Vacía] [image: Consejo Gremial rechaza invitación de Cepeda a dialoga...
    2 months ago
  • - Hoy camine algunas calles de la ciudad que habito, podría decirse que aunque la habito me siento ajeno, basta caminar o mirar las montañas para darse cuen...
    7 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.