Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Danceteria...!



 


So my sister was visiting a few weeks ago. I had not seen her for a hot minute so one night we got lost remembering way back when we were younger and started talking shit about people we both know (as we usually do when we get together) while checking her Facebook. I am not on social media sites like Facebook or Snapchat or TikTok so I am not in touch with anybody I knew way back then. Nor I want to. 

What that convo also brought back was the memory of me going to my first gay club. It was Chicken Night, I think, because we did not have valid IDs to go in. I went with a bunch of guys my age and some older because it was a 'new' gay club and it was supposed to be awesome so everybody wanted to go. I had no idea what to expect, because I had never been to a club, let alone a gay one. Oh, I had been fooling around with men for a while then, but socially we were pretty much into house parties and maybe block parties. But we did not go to clubs. 

So that night I got into my prized 501 Levi's (Button fly, slung low, boot cut. I still like that style today) and my ever faithful black t-shirt (I have no idea what was on the front, babes, it's been awhile. Probably some Depeche Mode or The Cure) black Converse high tops and a chain attached to my wallet and I was ready to go. We all crammed ourselves in a taxi (no Uber back then, alas!) and off we went.

To say that I got a shock the second I stepped in that club is a total understatement. Oh, I was not a virgin or anything like that. I had had sex with men at that point, duh. I even had a 'boyfriend' who was with me that night. But the thing is that I had never, ever, in my life seen two men dancing together. Let alone two men dancing together and grinding against each other. Two men dancing together, grinding against each other and kissing. In public. In plain view of everybody in that club like it was nothing. I was floored. And a little turned on. 

Some context: this club visit happened many, many years ago. There was no Gay marriage, there was no Grindr, there was no PreP. AIDS was still a death sentence. There was no high speed internet or Gay-Straight Alliances at schools. All I knew about Gay life is what I was living and I was basically a kid from the suburbs with no world experience.

So now you may understand why Madonna's song Danceteria pushes all my buttons. She also went back to those first times going to a club, that experience of music and lights and sweat and laughter and bodies dancing together. A temple of sweat and surrender. And that is what I felt that night: I was giddy with euphoria. It was not a Madonna song what was playing that night when we stepped in, though, what I heard was another song I did not recognize.  But many years later, in another club, in another life, I learned what I heard was Fly Robin, Fly. By Silver Convention. I think that maybe because it was Chicken Night, they were playing a ton of music that we recognized at that club, but they also played some Disco classics. That's the thing about gay clubs way back then: the music was fantastic, the DJ had his vinyl with him at all times and he knew what he was doing.... 

So yeah. A song can indeed take you back.

Thanks, Madge. Your music has always taken me there....

So, what song takes you there? To your first club night?


Our Guide To Everyone Name-Checked By Madonna On Her Latest Hit ...


XOXO


P.S. BTW, this video below is Madonna at the Danceteria nightclub, during the first ever live performance of her song Everybody in the early eighties. It was open mic night at the No Entiendes show and this is my fav Madonna incarnation ever! (Right, Anne Marie?). Oh, and it was her birthday yesterday. She' a Leo and just turned 68. And that girl in the video below had a vision of what she wanted in life and she got it. I hope I have only a portion of her drive, curiosity and joie de vivre when I turn 68....

HBD, gurl. 




Oh, and here's the making of the Danceteria video, which we saw in Madonna's mini-movie...


Comments

  1. That's the great thing about music is that it holds a place card on a time in your life and when you hear it again, even years later, you can be transported back.
    Even a new song can do that when all the elements of the song click.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      And that happened with Danceteria. For real. I immediately associated it with my days in the clubs.
      And it's a bop, so there's that.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Big says,
    "Nights in White Satin" but not for being in a nightclub. See, back then, a nightclub was where they had a live band and a singer and people danced but it was a fancy restaurant. And you needed a LOT of money to be able to go to one.
    But back to the song. That's the song that played first time I got laid. 😁
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a cool song!
      Very sensual. And the Clubs were the Discos in the 70's I think. Going to the Club was THE thing to do.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I don't remember the first song I ever heard at a lesbian bar, but when I came out, the songs in heavy rotation by the DJ at the time were "Pink Cadillac" by Natalie Cole, "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman, and "Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves" by Annie Lennox & Aretha Franklin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      I love that Natalie Cole song! I have the 12' single!
      Fast Car? Iconic. Annie and Aretha? Fabulous.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I think this song is by far her best song on the new album. It too gives me the feelings of the early days. Great post....and as you knowI still go out. The club and the thumpa thumpa is always going to be in my blood. Like you the first time I went...I knew that minute I found my tribe in with the drag queens, the pretty muscular boys and club kids...I always meddled into many groups.... but I knew then I'd alway be a creature of the night and the club would always be in me.and my church...when I go out now it's alway like the first time still...and I still dance the night away. It's still a place for us to be free too. I'm surprised how many all gay clubs Philly still has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....my first song to welcome me and take me back is a toss up of Rozella's Everybody's Free, and Deborah Coopper with C&C'S A Deeper Love....the original and best version of the song. Ever.

      Delete
    2. I love the new album.
      Unskippable. And this song is fantastic. Love, love, LOVE! I used to go a lot to the clubs. All throughout college it was the THING to do. I used to love to dance the night away. There's so few clubs now in Chi and they are all in the city. To go to a club nowadays, I need to literally go on vacay to the city and get a hotel room. There's no way I'm driving back to the 'burbs at four in the morning.
      BTW, I think the BEST A Deeper Love is Aretha Franklin's version.

      XOXO

      Delete
    3. I liked her version too...but for me nothing beat the very slow built up of the house original with Deborah Cooper with Cliveilles and Cole, and then it exploded with the beats and her powerful voice!!!! It's the only song to date, where I think I witnessed every person in the club having church...at the bar, on the bar, on the dance floor and I swear they were even dancing in the bathrooms!!!! Lol. I swear, soon as people heard the first notes on the piano they stared going nuts, and started finding a space to crave out to cut up. The song still gives me chills. The Soul Systems It's Going to be A Lovely Day also had the same effect. These youngin's will never have the pleasure to feel and witness that.

      sidenote. I still can't believe Madonna is 68.

      Delete
  5. The first song I remember from the bars was I Will Survive. Yes, I am that old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      Classic. You can still dance to that in the Clubs today. For real.
      Pity Gloria Gaynor got MAGA adjacent.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Contradicciones - Quise escribir sobre la muerte de Gloria Steinem, pero otro obituario, en menos de una semana, da demasiada grima. Siguiendo el ejemplo de quien fuera...
    3 days ago
  • AGOSTO "UNPLUGGED" - Pasada la primera mitad del mes con los calores y el momento *eclipse*, que acaparó la atención en medio del ralentí y la calma chicha del verano, empeza...
    1 week ago
  • Compañías invisibles - Hoy amaneció lloviendo. La casa todavía estaba envuelta en ese silencio suave, que sólo conocen las mañanas de lluvia. La cafetera comenzó a cantar en la...
    1 month ago
  • Mirando la vuelta - [image: El showman, Abelardo De La Espriella: los actos de su campaña - La Silla Vacía] [image: Consejo Gremial rechaza invitación de Cepeda a dialoga...
    3 months ago
  • - Hoy camine algunas calles de la ciudad que habito, podría decirse que aunque la habito me siento ajeno, basta caminar o mirar las montañas para darse cuen...
    7 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.