Oh, Gay Classics...?
I think we all need to go back to school when it comes to Gay classics.
Why? Because as things are going in this country, we may not have them anymore if Project 20025 gets away with its nefarious plans. Reading as an act of rebellion? Yes. Anti-intellectualism is a precursor of fascism, after all. And thinking about that, here are the first five LGBTQ-themed books I ever read as a recently minted gayling:





And why would this be important, you'd ask? Well, because seeing ourselves or people like us in art and literature is fundamental. If we don't want to be erased, we need representation.
And you, Constant Reader, what's in your list?
XOXO
![]()
I've read most of these, and many others over the years.
ReplyDeletexoxo
I think many of us, have.
DeleteBy default, we look for books that speak to us at a very direct level. I learned about most of these from friends and then from classes I took. Educumation comes handy sometimes...
XOXO
Big says,
ReplyDeleteThe only one I even knew about was Baldwin's. You'd think I'd have at least heard about Forster's..... Terrible that I haven't read either one. That must be rectified.
But, yes, the 2025 bullshit would have everything LGBT erased, including us.
XOXO
Maurice is such a lovely book!
DeleteI think it was published posthumously because the topic was so taboo.
XOXO
Classic literature is great, just prepare yourself for the changes in style, super long sentences and descriptions that circle around the subject that you might find yourself asking, "how many ways are there to describe a smile?" Anything by E.M. Forester tends to be good. Also, books don't need to be old to be considered classics. The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst should be on everyone's need to read list.
ReplyDeleteBut, isn't that what makes literature fabulous?
DeleteMishima's books are translations and they are sometimes kind of dense for the reader, but the man could write. Hollinghurst also has The Line of Beauty. Recommend.
XOXO