Go back in time

Show more

Latter



So over the weekend I was sitting with my one friend who had never watched Latter Days. I was in shock! I was about to ask for his gay card. How can someone go through the Aughts and NOT have had Latter Days as one of THE movies to watch? It came out in 2004 (ancient, I know) and it was the talk of the town for months on end. It was that time when all those little indie movies with LGBTQ themes were popping up all over. We watched it as part of an outing with the GSA I belonged to at that time. It was awesome.

So Latter Days is one of those early 2000's gay movies that did not shy away from depicting full-on gay male romance and quite a bit of skin and for a change, it did not end up with the gay men in it with AIDS or beaten up. Also, Joseph Gordon-Leavitt played one of the Elders. Always a plus. And it's funny I was talking about the Mormons over the weekend and watching this movie and today we all just learned that they put $100 cool BILLIONS apart for a rainy day. Tax exemption. Such a joy. And to think that the Mormons had just included Gay people in their family searches. Natch.

Back to Latter Days, then. It's a super cute love story and for once, the casting is quite accurate. It was one of those indie movies that popped up every so often and the main actor was Wes Ramsey, who's gone on to be on TV and the such. But our eyes were all on Steve Sandvoss. And who's to blame?  Because I have a weakness for buff blondes (well, and buff brunettes, and buff bald men and buff silver foxes, but who's paying attention?) my absolute guilty pleasure was watching Steve Sandvoss play the corn-bred, wide-eyed ingenue in the movie. He is delicious. Don't believe me? Here:













And why guilty pleasure? Because I think Stevie is straight and sadly, he's done very few movies or tv after Latter Days. Such a waste, because I was a fan and I'm sure there's many more fans around. So the movie follows the fish-out-of-water narrative, it adds some reparative therapy for good measure and a dose of religion (duh, he plays a Mormon). Also, Jacqueline Bisset is the owner of the restaurant where a lot of the action takes place. Can you imagine?

So I hope I made you curious. Go ahead, rent the movie, watch it on a streaming service or if it's not deleted, you can watch it on youtube. And if you have seen it, it's always good to brush up on your Book of Mormon, no?

XOXO





Comments

  1. I've seen it, and it is pretty hot at times. Plus, it's a dig at a church that, like most churches, is really all about the coins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep having issues reading your blog. Dayam. I so wanted to comment on today's Marriott-Sheraton thing. Marriott is quite LGBTQ-friendly, and they obviously do have someone on staff at Puerta Vallarta who is so fired.

      Delete
    2. It is! And I liked how it basically talked about the hypocrisy of the Mormon cult and how it only cares about its own image.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I've never seen it. I'm more of a Book of Mormon type guy. "Orlando" describes it just like it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute little movie. And the Book of Mormon is a riot!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I have seen it. I think I even own a copy on DVD. It is very hot with some great eye candy. It’s worth seeing again given the news that the church is pulling support from the Boy Scouts I suspect for their acceptance of gay members, and creating its own youth program. Gotta keep dispensing the kool-aid.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the two lovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're adorable! The movie is almost twenty years old, but it stands the test of time.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. It's been years since i saw that movie....throughly. And i love. Steve Sandvoss's ball action in the one shot with shorts!!!!!! I m sure i have this movie on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I was hoping somebody would notice!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Sadly, a lot of straight actors who took on gay roles found themselves out of work. Harry Hamlin led the way with "Making Love" way back in 1982. He was one hot actor because of LA Law on TV. After he starred in "Making Love," for the longest time he couldn't get arrested. None of the 3 actors managed to get much work after doing that film.
    "Brokeback Mountain" apparently changed that.
    The Mormon Church has done a lot of damage to a lot of kids. Maybe it should take some of that $100B and make reparations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. Oh, Harry Hamlin did see his career stalled! Such a pity. And I think Steve just stopped working? The other actor has been very active in TV according to his IMDB page.. I wonder what's behind his not working much more??
      And the Mormon cult has been horrible to LGBTQ kids. Horrible.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Never seen it but it looks good from the trailer! We have a lot of Mormons here in Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should watch it! It's complete on YouTube (I posted the video at the end). It's a sweet little movie.
      Mormons are EVERYWHERE.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I have never watched it, but looks like something for my list!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for a cold winter night. Get your popcorn ready and watch it. I posted the whole movie at the end of the entry. I promise you'll like it...

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Loved it so much I bought... a long time ago. And I think you're right about Stevie, at least what they were saying back then. Things can change in 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never bought it but I should have. This one and Big Eden were my favs back then. I'm a sucker for a cute gay love story.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.