Go back in time

Show more

Hungry



I think we can divide our perception of drag performers in two epochs: Before Drag Race and After Drag Race. Drag Race has caused such a change in our idea of what drag is that the lens with which we observe drag performers needs to change. And I'm not alone in that assessment. Just look at the video that Vogue magazine has published.

Drag, until about ten years ago, was an art relegated to smoky gay bars on Tuesday nights. The fantastic drag artists that gave their all in a tiny stage with bad lighting was probably supplementing their income with a job at a perfume or make up counter at some mall or big store, or at a dreary accountant's office when lucky. Those drag performers may have also gave birth to more than one make up trend during their lifetimes. They also probably pushed the envelope when it came to gender and gender perception in people around the world. Pioneers.

Then Drag Race came and what started as a tiny niche show on Logo grew to become the juggernaut that it is today, propelling the careers of dozens of fantastically talented drag performers to heights unthought of just a few years ago. One of the things that most impresses me about some drag artists is the incredibly meticulous way in which they execute the vision they have of themselves and how they want to appear. The impeccable conceptualization of each and every look, the meticulous and almost miraculous way they apply make up to erase and then rebuild their features fascinates me to no end.

And then there's Hungry. I've seen Hungry's work before. They went on James St.James' 'Welcome to my Face' youtube series and made up his face. Hungry has also worked with Bjork (gotta Stan!), has a fantastic IG and now Vogue magazine featured them in their Extreme Beauty web series. Hungry does not do fishy makeup of lip gloss and Cover Girl. Hungry transforms every inch of their face and body to fit the idea that may have germinated in some corner of their mind. And we are left gagging.

The looks that Hungry gives are not an emulation of a beautiful female model or movie star. Hungry's looks are more akin to nature: an exotic bird or a fantastically colored sea creature. I was mesmerized not only by the make-up but by the prosthetics and the wardrobe required to create their vision. And I have to say that the final product does not disappoint: it is a vision. The take of Hungry eating at a restaurant after the removal of the prosthetic is a sight to behold.

Oh, and in case you wanted to know, that's just a little sample of the creativity of this fantastic artist. A combination of otherworldly creature and beautiful fashion model that leaves you wondering where drag stops and performance art starts:









So the next time you hear somebody say that Drag is a man in a dress, show them some of Hungry's pictures. Or send them to Maddie's. That'll do.

XOXO

P.S. Don't forget to tip your local drag artists.

Comments

  1. To me Hungry has talent. I have never met or seen her perform....but I think of him as a performance artiste. Not my style of dry...but can appreciate the skill set and time. If people aren't familiar with her and go in expecting a traditional drag show they'll be pissed. She is an art installation...right there with Sasha Velour.

    The process of drag getting ready is a ritual itself. All the years i did drag one never tires of the transaformation. It usually took me 2 and half hours and i too love James St James transformation series. It's addictive. I have a post on drag come shortly. We're on the same page this week again!!!!!!$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Talent IS in the house!
      And I'll have to agree with you. Hungry would qualify much more as an artist than as a drag queen. Hungry is a moving, breathing art installation.
      I can totally believe that it's almost three hours of work before putting a stiletto out of the house! Drag is not easy!
      And of course we're in the same page! Woot! Woot!
      XOXO

      Delete
  2. quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? The amount of work. The patience. The artistry.
      I know I was impressed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. My goodness! Hungry does take it to the extreme. It’s amazing the transformation they go through. The way they map everything out on the masks to get everything just so. And then the shot in the subway where everyone else is “yeah, whatever.” No one is ogling, just going about their business. And then the guy in the restaurant who stops to take a picture.

    I give them credit for the dedication to their art. And all the queens and kings who have this passion are awesome.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I was also thinking 'these people are either super civilized or totally blase'.
      And the artistry is undeniable. Every. Single. Detail.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I'm kinda with MM on this one; it's more performance art. Now that doesn't take away one iota of the talent it takes to remake yourself, but it's not my style. I'd expect Hungry in an Artmuseum instead of a bar and it's be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!
      And you got my point: it's the talent and the artistry. Make up artists of this caliber would not have had a platform without Drag having become much more 'mainstream'.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Performance art, or wearable art? Or both? Fabulous anyway you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both!
      And it is indeed fab. I was scrolling through Hungry's IG and the more I scrolled, the more amazed I was. It's really worth a trip down the rabbit hole.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. It seems more like "make up artist." An extremely talented one, to say the least. Hello, Hollywood. If it's "performance art" the performance would be in watching the transformation - sort of like Jim Bailey's special back in the day when he transformed himself into Judy - of course, then he walked to the mic and (holy crap!!) Judy stood there singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I agree.
      And Bjork (who is no strange to transforming herself in all kinds of otherwordly things) hired Hungry to do her makeup for a project. The transformation we see here is nothing less than a magic act for me, who knows nothing about make up.
      And now I'll have to find Jim Bailey. Darn, you, Big! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. You shall be amazed with his Judy. He was the first true female impersonator. His Peggy Lee is pretty damn good, his Barbra....well, not bad but not as convincing. I've seen him perform live a few times - course, that was waaaay back in the day. Hope you enjoy! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yep.
      Not everybody's cup of tea. Too conceptual, I think .
      But I'm fascinated.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Both unusual and pretty. I think I like it, actually! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      Same! I don't know how well Hungry performs when in drag (or if they perform) but unusual and pretty always do it for me.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    2 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.