Go back in time

Show more

Taking the prize.



JERICHOBROWN


MICHAELRJACKSON


Two queer, black men just won the Pulitzer. Jericho Brown and Michael R. Jackson won in the poetry and drama categories. This whole thing called my attention because it was only last year that I heard of Jericho Brown from Bill, a colleague. Bill, BTW is so fantastic that he deserves his own post, but suffice it to say that he is a late-bloomer boomer who came out just recently and who has the most incredible approach to teaching you can imagine. He reads voraciously and is a theater buff. So anything he recommends I trust. And he recommended Jericho's writing to me.

So when Bill mentioned Jericho Brown, I paid attention. Not only because Jericho is quite the dish (did you see that picture?) but because Bill knows his shit. Never mind that I sometimes don't get poetry the way I should (after all, I did get an educumation, hunty) my ears perked up when Bill sang his praise of Jericho. I looked Jericho up and yep, totally hooked. Nothing like hearing poetry read by somebody who knows how to do it to get you into it. Haunting and beautiful, his words recall images yo did not know were there. Highly recommended.

I had no idea who Michael R. Jackson was, though. Apparently, he wrote a very meta play: a play about a a young, gay, Black musical theater writer writing a musical about a young, gay, Black musical theater writer. A strange loop, indeed. But the reviews are fantastic. And now I really, really want to go see the play. Pity that it'll have to wait until things go back to 'normal' before I can do that. But it's going to be in my schedule. That I promise.

So I encourage you to buy Jericho Brown's book and go see (when possible) Michael R. Jackson's play. Because today, more than ever, we have to celebrate what we have. We may not have it tomorrow.

XOXO





P.S.

These prizes came at a very strange time, because in America, it is still dangerous to be a black man. Just last week the two men who killed Ahmaud Arbery were arrested. But only after a video of two men basically lynching Arbery leaked online. Only after irrefutable proof of the racism that underlies American life was made evident, two killers were brought to justice. And there's still no certainty that they will be charged with murder. Oh, and don't forget Sean Reed, a 21 year old veteran who was killed in Indianapolis while driving recklessly and not stopping. This time the outcry also came because the man just happened to livestream his death on Facebook. In 2020 America, there's outcry when a black man is assassinated only if there's video proof. Don't tell me these Pulitzer prizes are not significant.



Comments

  1. racism is alive and well because of donald dump. CALL OUT THE H8!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's no doubt about it. IMPOTUS has brought racism to the forefront during his presidency. He's legitimized hatred.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Like you I don’t always get poetry...unless it rhymes 😎. I have trouble with the tempo and flow. But hearing those pieces in Jericho’s own voice, you get the inflection and tempo he envisioned. Abs it brings it to life.

    And Michael’s play looks super fun and outrageous. That would be awesome to see.

    Congratulations to both of them in tgus well deserved honor.

    And you’re right, unless there’s video evidence, it will always be assumed that the black man was responsible for his own death. And the carry laws in Georgia are insane!

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a well deserved win, too. It was a nice antidote after the news of the killing of Arbery. America and its gun laws. Just add racism.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Both videos are fabulous! I enjoyed the poetry in particular -- very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too!
      I think poetry needs to be read aloud by the author to show its full range.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Yeah, never heard of Michael R. Jackson, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea he had written a play. Maybe because I don't do theater that much. I should, though. So many good plays...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Well, in America we need PROOF that the black man wasn't doing a bad thing when we shoot him. You know, cuz if he's jogging, that's bad ...eating a doughnut in his home, bad ...walking home through a white neighborhood, bad ... playing in a park, bad ... having a broken taillight, bad.
    We all need to speak up and stand up when we see or hear racism; racism hides in the shadows and our voices can shine a light on it.

    PS Jericho is hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black men could be killed under any pretext by white men in America. In 2020. And the white men will always find an excuse for their racism. Always.

      And yes, Jericho is hot. So intense...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Had never heard of either of them - until now. ('Course, I'm living under a blanket right now.) There's no poetry better than listening to a poet recite his/her own words. That's what makes it understandable to the masses. I'm a failure at reading it, too, but hearing it read....
    The play - - oh, yes. I will be looking for it to hit my town.
    It feels like this country has stalled - but, of course, it has with the idiots in the WH. Yeah the ones who say they'd be proud to have Flynn come back into the administration. **heavy sigh***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Well, we are all living under the proverbial rock right now, right? And I agree. Nothing like hearing a poet reading their work. So powerful, so 'as is'. So direct.
      I do not fare well with poetry either. I fail to grasp all its nuances.
      And I hope that plays find a way to come back. It'll take awhile, I'm afraid.
      As for the country, yes, it's devolved into a cesspool of racism, inadequacy and corruption, where the DOJ serves a corrupt president. How low has America fallen...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the fresh tips! I always like to hear and discover new artist. Yes....the last thing we need is yet more bad things and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a great surprise to me!
      It was so refreshing to read two queer men of color had won such a prestigious prize with such touching and nuanced works!
      The arts will save us.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to the gentlemen on their wins! When Barack Obama won both terms, I was terrified that he was going to be assassinated just because he was a black man. When he safely ended his second term I felt guilty for having judged Americans so harshly, I figured that I had stereotyped parts of your culture. Now I don't feel guilty for thinking that way anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The really deserved that prize.
      And when Obama won, I had the same feeling. It was eight years of relentless attacks and lies, though. The Repugs fought him every second of the way and stole a Supreme Court seat from his administration.
      America is and always will be racist to the core.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I'd give anything to have beauty AND brains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh Jimmy.
      It's too late. We know you now...

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. That describes Sixpence.

      Delete
  10. I thought the poetry was fine, I'm not particularly fond of single word stanzas. I did really enjoy the musical bit. Small, intimate musicals always carry a punch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! His poetry really is powerful.
      I think single word stanzas serve as exclamation points for the lines in the poem. They need to be read appropriately, though.
      This play certainly strikes a very powerful pose. Would love to go see it.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.