Go back in time

Show more

the kindness of strangers






I've always been mesmerized by anything Tennessee Williams ever wrote. So when a friend told me that they were going to stream A Streetcar Named Desire and that Gillian Anderson was going to be Blanche Dubois, I got my popcorn ready. And I also could kick myself, because this streaming may go beyond a paywall after the 28th May. Darn. I should have posted about it last week.

In any case, I love me some Tennessee Williams and the way he wrote from the point of view of a gay man and managed to infuse each one of his plays, short stories and even poetry with a vibrant queer sensibility. And of course that was needed; remember this was the forties and fifties and homosexuality was stigmatized, penalized and pathologized. The Code, remember. But there is something bout A Streetcar that always makes me stop and pay attention. And pay attention you must, because it's a long play with a short intermission. But it's also one of William's most compelling works, IMHO.

Even though it's on the surface a thoroughly heterosexual drama, I can see that Blanche is indeed a gay man (even though in the play she WAS married to one) and she is treated like one: she falls on hard times because she seduces younger men and is treated as 'the other' throughout the play. She has secrets and is desperate to hide them, she's also obsessed with her fading looks and tries by all means to stick to her glamorous past but ends up losing her mind. Stanley, on the other hand, is the personification of lust and sexual energy, something that gay men in that time tried to subdue at all costs but that ended up overcoming them. Some still do. But you cannot tame sex. I also think that Blanche is an avatar for a drag queen (her artifice, her reticence so be seen in plain daylight, her theatricality, the booze...). Blanche is pure, undiluted camp. But it's also no surprise to see her being institutionalized, a fate many women and gay men would find to be terribly familiar at that time. Remember homosexuality was considered a mental illness until 1973.

If you have time and if it's still streaming I'd recommend this version of ASND. Gillian Anderson is luminous and tragic and Ben Foster is yummy and menacing as Stanley. Because we cannot accuse Tennessee Williams of not giving us fantastic male protagonists, virtual wet dreams concocted by a feverish gay mind.

Take Brando, in the original movie for A Streetcar Named Desire:


Or is there a more beautiful man on screen than Paul Newman on Cat on a Hot
Tin Roof?


Or Monty on Suddenly, Last Summer?



Oh, and if the streaming by the Vic is over by the time you get to this post, or two hours is way too much for you, try Gillian Anderson's The Departure, a sort of prequel to her part on A Streetcar Named Desire, as a treat.




Happy viewing!

XOXO

Comments

  1. Paul New man was gorgeous. Those eyes.
    Monty, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear lord.
      I recently re-watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and I almost had the vapors. Damn that man was handsome.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Williams' works were filled to the brim with homosexual themes and undercurrents. I've worked on Streetcar as an AD, and been involved in other productions. If not carefully handled they can be quite painful to watch - as you say, it can become (overly) campy and that's not a good thing.
    Closing the streaming behind a paywall.... Well, I suppose these companies need to generate revenue during this pandemic somehow. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We boys should have a movie night me thinks! Always good convo here.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and he needed to. Being gay was stigmatized and gay men would drink any reference to themselves. Streetcar can be heavy. It's a long play and his characters are overblown. And yes, it's a pity because it's a good production, but that may be exactly why it's going behind the paywall.
      And Maddie, can you imagine a movie night with everybody here? I'd make the popcorn.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite plays and movies A Streetcar Named Desire. And I'm a huge, HUGE Gillian Anderson fan. I feel she is another who is very under used. One of my favorite roles she took on was Bedelia Du Maurier on a show called Hannibal. One of the best written, best casted, and visually stunning shows to air on tv in years in my opinion. And was on NBC of all places. I still miss that show. But she was divine and all kinds of delicious on that show.

    Hollywood needs to give this woman more!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the fresh tip handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gillian is fantastic here. You can virtually see her falling apart during the play. I really enjoyed it. And really. You and I.... I think Hannibal is a fantastic show. I'm rewatching it now and I'm halfway the second season. Bedelia just went to visit Will Graham in prison and basically told him Hannibal is dangerous. Gillian is soooo good here! And she's hysterical in Sex Education. Talking about mini-series, she's awesome in The Fall. I recommend it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Great analysis of the play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      And I didn't even intend to do that. Even thought it was probably unavoidable. It's a great play and the staging was fantastic. I really enjoyed it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. His female characters were always strung but usually not very nice, and his male characters were almost always weak.; in "Suddenly Last Summer" Sebastian gets eaten (I just referenced that in the new book). Stanley is probably his strongest male but in the end even he resorts to his animal instincts. I like Williams' work but think it's a bit over-rated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I like that! That's why they seem to be stand-ins for gay men. His male characters precluded toxic masculinity. And Sebastian (played by Monty in the movie) dies because no gay man could be happy at that time, remember? And you referenced that in the book? Nice!
      I'm glad the focus of Streetcar has switched from Stanley back to Blanche, as Williams intended. I think his work is seminal. Few writers went so hardcore for the gay subtext during his lifetime and even afterwards...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.