Go back in time

Show more

Mocambo




So I spent part of Sunday listening to Ella Fitzgerald. Not only because I ran across this Drunk History episode, but also because it was raining cats and dogs and I refused to go out. I stayed in most of the afternoon listening to Ella sing Gershwin and Berlin and I had a ball. Her voice is fantastic. I cannot imagine what it would have been to listen to her sing live. For real. Do we have any contemporary artist that sounds like that?

I also have some days when I am quite antisocial. Perfect for the times of pandemic, no? But seriously, if you can take some time off, lock yourself down and put on some Ella. I guarantee you'll feel awesome afterwards. Her phrasing, her voice, her style and the fantastic lyrics she sang will give you life. If you're like Maddie, feel free to add some Tanqueray. I am not a drinker (I'm drunk in no time, my limit is two Hard Lemonades) but I tried something called ginger beer that I got a Trader Joe's. Score! And the bottle is super cute, I'm keeping it. It may be lowkey Banjie to drink ginger beer and listen to Ella, but ask me if I care.



So, back to Ella Fitzgerald and that story of Marilyn Monroe using her privilege for good. Apparently it is true that in1956 Marilyn used the blinding wattage of her fame to implement change. She called the owner or the Mocambo, the 'it' spot in West Hollywood at that time to tell him to book Ella. Marilyn said she'd sit first row every night if he did. So he did and there she was every night. That may have completely changed the career of Ella Fitzgerald, who never again had to perform in tiny segregated clubs. 



And that, Constant Reader, is how you use white privilege to change the status quo. Nowadays, activism it's not only relegated to talking about buying a #BLM yard sign. Or saying we have a Black friend. We have to do more. We have to keep pushing for change and bring to light inequality and racism. Activism needs to be continuous to implement that change that we need to occur. So it may be time to talk about performative activism, because why not?



View this post on Instagram

Performative activism: Action that’s rooted in what other people say you should do. Action that’s rooted in managing how other people see you or think about you. Action that’s rooted in trying to be good or right. Action that’s rooted in maintaining or preserving status, capital, belonging, image and comfort. Performative activism is not wrong, it's ineffective. It's unsustainable. It's incongruent. It's only serving the same systems and cultures that you say you wish to dismantle. Another possibility: Check in with yourself about what you have access to, what you want to contribute, where and how and make a decision. See what happens next and respond according to what’s in integrity with you. There is no right way. What is right resides within you. And it’s a moment-to-moment check in with yourself.
A post shared by Andréa Ranae | she/they (@andrearanaej) on


I think we need to do more than just think about putting that #BLM sign in the front yard. I think that contributing to change would need us to keep going on about equity and equality way past the phase of voting Cheeto out of the White House. We need to keep talking to our friends and family members who are unaware of these inequalities. Even if it's difficult. Having difficult conversations is part of growing. We need to keep using our muscle as constituents to get the Police to have less power, less money assigned to it. We need to work to end redlining, we have to support Black businesses, we have to squash White Supremacy.

We may have some way coming our way, too. We need to think that Gen Z in America is currently only 50% white. It's 26% Hispanic, 14% Black, 5% Asian. As Dave has mentioned here, Americans over 75 lived in a totally different world. Boomers in America are 74% white. The Silent Generation? They grew up in an America that was79% white. They lived in a world that was mostly white. Most Millenials have had diverse teachers, multiethnic classmates and friends and have been exposed to different cultures during their lives. The books they read and the music they listen to, is also multiethnic. Also, Gen Z seems to be a different kind of generation. Don't believe me? Check out Claudia Conway's IG. If you didn't know, she's the daughter of one of the people I most despise in the Cheeto administration, KellyAnn Conway:



View this post on Instagram

“when the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” — jimi hendrix to the black community, YOU matter. all black lives matter. black women. black men. black LGTBQIA+. you all matter. keep fighting. this isn’t over yet. to non-black people, like myself, we must use our privilege for good. we MUST be allies. we must listen. we must educate ourselves. we ALL must advocate. this isn’t a matter of bipartisan politics. we all must check our bias at the door. we must check our political affiliations at the door. this is a human rights movement. we must come together. we will not stop speaking out until an end is put to this. let’s end systemic racism and destroy the agenda of institutional racism. let’s get on the RIGHT side of history. 🖤✊🏽✊🏿✊🏾 #blacklivesmatter #juneteenth
A post shared by CLAUDIA CONWAY (@claudiamconway) on


So why not be an activist? We can be activists from the comfort of our homes, if we don't want or can't protest on the streets. Keyboard activism also counts, Constant Reader. That's what most of the bloggers I follow do. And I try to do it, too. Of course, we are preaching to the choir, but I know that one or two of those closeted Repugs drops by this blog for the dick I post. And I follow blogs that are read by hundreds of people. That's a start.



We can all do more. Want to do more without making your blog too 'political'? Click here: #BLACKLIVESMATTER or HERE. That'll give you a head start.

Happy activism!


XOXO




Comments

  1. I swear I think too much alike some days. I used my friends campsite this weekend for a get-a way to the campground, and it was heavenly. Cousre I'm loving the weather here. I love hot weather. But yesterday I spent the better half the day in a hammock laying and swinging to Ella on my Bluetooth speaker.

    I heard the story about Ella and Marylyn years ago. Always warms my heart that story. I don't think she was ever taken seriously and very seldom was given credit for being smart. So much of her was swept under the carpet. And I still say she was rubbed out by the Kennedys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha birds of a feather...
      I have also heard the story but never really dug into it. Marilyn was awesome. I think that of course she was a beautiful woman, but in the studio system that was a double edged sword. They never took her seriously. And I agree she may have had close encounters with those two...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Of the handful of blogs that I follow, this is the one that has given me an education and made me a better person. luv u, Six

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some Ella on old 78 acetate... Yep, she was incredible.
    Did it surprise anyone to learn of Marilyn's penchant for helping Ella? Or Sinatra's helping Sammy and other Black performers in Vegas? Yes, sir-ree. That was the way to use White Privilege.
    The creative communities always lead the way.
    Be bold! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG what.
      Can you still play them? I don't think my turntable can play 78s.
      Marilyn was really ahead of her time. In most everything. Totally misunderstood. And I agree, creative communities always lead the way to progress.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I certainly can play them. Have an old portable player that has that speed. Thank goodness because I have a small-ish collection of acetate recordings: Sinatra, Fisher, Vaughn, Holliday, Washington.... :-) XOXO

      Delete
  4. ella ella ella!
    I was 25 when I moved out of "white world" into the washington dc area. what an education I received! and I will be forever grateful to have been exposed to different people/cultures/food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella's voice is heavenly.
      And being in contact with other cultures and ethnicities is a great education! I was telling Huntley that yesterday I was driving around here and discovered several pockets of Twitler flags. It's a very whites-only area. No diversity. Ignorance thrives around here...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Marilyn's support of her is inspiring
    I loved monroe for that one kindness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was fantastic.
      So underappreciated...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. As someone who is hopefully aging gracefully, I find it fascinating to see the generational changes regarding race. Evolution is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have mentioned the change in racial makeup in the US several times. And I decided to kind of look it up. You are correct. There's some changes coming for the ANNA fuckers.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I'd never heard that Monroe and Ella story but I love it and love it as a model for the rest of us.

    I saw a meme that explained BLM very nicely ...
    "I say 'Black Lives Matter' because all didn't cover Black when they said 'All men are created equal.'
    I say 'Black Lives Matter' because all didn't cover Black when they said 'Liberty and justice for all.'
    I say 'Black Lives Matter' because they're still struggling with the definition of 'all.'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it heartwarming?
      Marilyn was so cool.
      And that meme is perfect! When people say 'all lives matter' I want to slap them.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. It is amazing how the actions of one person can change so much. Marilyn’s actions were transformative, not only for Ella, but for all those touched by her.

    And we need to DO more if we’re able. We can talk a good game, but as they say, talk is cheap. So if we can we need to step up for our community and all communities similarly challenged.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can yo imagine? And this was in the mid-fifties!
      We all need to do more. It's necessary and mandatory at this point.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Just beautiful. Please keep talking to me... because I learn so much when I listen to you. Thank you for writing this. In awe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Upton.
      You're too nice. Glad you enjoy the posts....

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.