Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Shea.



"Coming up in a scene that employs the same racial biases we see in the world, it made me doubt myself and my work as an entertainer because of my color," says the season 9 alum — the third Black queen to win a franchise title in 2020, following season 12 champion Jaida Essence Hall and Miss Congeniality Heidi N Closet — before stressing the timely significance of their collective victory amid ongoing Black Lives Matter protests in the fight for racial equality in America. "Drag Race is like going through the looking glass. It’s a wonderland. I’m so grateful that I had the chance not only to compete once, but come back a second time as a more realized version of myself and show the world exactly who I am."

EW.

Oh, but I am biased. The moment Shea Couleé entered the room in AS5 I was like, this BITCH! From the beginning I knew she was there to slay. And she did. We all know she was sprinting for that title in her season but that final lip-synch was a gag for the ages and won Sasha Velour the crown. So my favorites this season were in this order:  Shea, Jujubee, Alexis and Mariah. The rest? They were ok. And you could see why they were my favs if you saw them in that last runway during the last episode. Cracker is ok, but yeah. I was not too excited about her. Had she won, I would feel the same way I feel about Trixie Mattel winning over Shangela: meh.

Also - and this is the icing on the cake - I think that Shea is a very woke queen. Aware and assertive, she's the kind of Drag performer we need to see and hear more. At this point in time in America, not having a message of anti-racism and anti-bigotry, just does not play well (I'm looking at Cracker when in Brazil and not letting her fans speak against Bolsonaro). The fact that Shea Couleé has spoken about the racism that runs deep in the RPDR fandom  and in the gay bar community is nothing new. This queen is outspoken and not afraid to make her voice be heard. She spoke publicly about BLM and that situation dealing with race and Drag queens of color in the Chicago gay bar scene, after all:



"Let me tell you something: we are Black, we are queer and we deserve to take up space. White people move aside. When you see us, make space. Somehow I became lucky enough to be somebody who is viewed on TV all around the world and somebody who is considered of value because I’m talented. My value shouldn’t be wrapped up in my talent. My value should not be wrapped up in Instagram followers. My value should be strictly based on the fact that I’m a human being walking this earth right next to you. 

We built this. I want you to look around at everything here, we built this. And I should not have to stand here on a loud speaker and ask you for fucking permission to walk through the door. So you know what we’re going to do? The same way years ago y’all wanted to say that you would take back Boystown from the Southside trash, well guess what? Southside showed up and we’re taking it back now. You want to show up? Y’all need to hire Black people in your bars. And I’m not just talking about to wipe up your drinks, I’m talking about I want to see Black managers. I want to see Black people decide who gets to come in and who gets to make the money. And while we’re at it, we need to get a fucking Black-owned bar up in this bitch."

I don't think I have to add anything to this. I think Shea is a fantastic artist and I love her drag. It's conceptual, it's beautiful, it's subversive, it's brainy, it's sexy and a little dangerous.That's the way drag should be, IMHO. She seems to think about her looks with intention and purpose. She seems to know her references. Of course, I am not a drag expert (Maddie is our resident Drag Expert and she did a dissection of the season, that is on point!) but I'm a consumer of the product of drag and I know what I like. And I like Shea Couleé's style and message. I think it was a deserved win and one that came not a minute too late. I'm sure Miss Shea will use her platform for good (and I'm so glad she packed those one hundred thousand plus dollars home!).

Her name is Shea Couleé and she didn't come to play. She came to slay white supremacy. And I'm here for her.


XOXO












Category is: Prom Queen Fantasy! 🌹🔥 This concept was definitely a fun and creative journey. I originally just wanted to make a Carrie reference and pay homage to @sutanamrull iconic Season 3 runway. However, I wanted to push the concept further, so instead of a bucket of blood, it would be a crown pouring roses to honor the S9 finale. When I brought the concept to @fashionbyreyortiz, he had sketch for me in literally 10 minutes, and when I tried it on for the first time, it fit like a GLOVE. The headpiece was constructed by my best judy @gimmetigerlily who also created my hot dog headpiece from the premiere of Season 9. The wig by @zachkilian was stoned by @danpolyak, the heels by @lonestoner, jewels by @ampedaccessories and the beaded drip nails were custom made by the amazing @bbygirlnails! Photos by the AMAZING creative duo @dragfiles
A post shared by Shea Couleé (@sheacoulee) on




And here’s Shea and Nikkie Tutorials having a transatlantic KiKi and spilling some really good tea. So much fun!





P.S. this is Miss Shea's latest music output. Here she collaborated with Mikky Blanco, whose apartment in Lisbon we saw recently.



Comments

  1. He's an handsome man as well.
    Take a look here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely. And the top three did a recently EW interview and they showed Shea's boyfriend. Yum!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. “My value shouldn’t be wrapped up in my talent. My value should not be wrapped up in Instagram followers. My value should be strictly based on the fact that I’m a human being walking this earth right next to you.”

    This is what BLM and all equality movements are about. It’s not that I deserve more. It’s not that my kind has been oppressed for ages and now you have to make up for it by bending over backwards. It’s you should treat me with respect, and kindness, and compassion.

    This is what is expected. This is not rocket science. This is humanity.

    Well done Shea. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, bae.
      I like Shea's activism because it's based on equity. Looks and brains. A great combination.

      XOX

      Delete
  3. I was really happy Shea won because it was all talent and looks for her; no real drama.
    That said, I do loves me some Jujubee. And I liked Cracker, though I knew she had no shot.

    I'm'a be singing 'Cocky' all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I was bummed when she was in the bottom. Were all her looks stunning? Maybe not, but she was upping her game. Had Jujubee won, I wouldn't have been too mad. Cracker is cracker.
      And Cocky is a bop!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. "White people move aside. When you see us, make space."..... "And while we’re at it, we need to get a fucking Black-owned bar up in this bitch."

    Love that! Preach it, girl!! If she hasn't been on "Pose," she should be. What values she could teach the kids in her House. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true that there's not a black-owned joint in Boystown!
      Everything is cis white gay male or white cis straight male owned. Really. There's not really a BIPOC owned gay bar in the city. The closest was Scarlet and it closed.

      And I hope she does TV one day. Many of the other queens have done it to various degrees of success.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. That's incredible. But, I guess, not that surprising. How's about a FAIR business loan for a Black cis gay to open something? That's been too much to ask for, I suppose.
      All one can hope is that the current movement keeps moving toward that goal of equality in ALL areas.
      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I love that you featured Cocky. I loved that song since it came out. It had a modern sound yet she embraces the old school house sound for it's major notes and ......included Vixen.

    Yes...we need more queens like this. You can still have fun and have campy beauty and still educate and teach the children's. I for some reason just didn't notice her on her season till the end...and then she was over shadowed by Sasha....but really who wouldn't be? And don't get me started on Miz. Stunning. But she needs to be more woke you ask me. Go hang a month with Shea girl.

    Long reign Shea!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought Cocky the moment it came out. Totally borrowing from House music and a bop! And it did have the Vixen before she even was on RPDR. Prophetic.

      And you being a Drag artist know how it works in the business. The children do need to be educated. In her season I loved loved loved the construction worker outfit and her promo look was stunning. She was kind of stealthily climbing up until that final lip synch.
      Cracker still has some learning to do. It surprises me, given that she and Bob are drag family (and more, if you believe the rumors) .
      Long right the Queen.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I like her too. I'm glad she won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I was so happy!
      I know she'll do great things with the platform.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Those are some amazing looks. Very striking. And he's cute, outta drag, too... Thanks, Xersex. I love me some activist drag. That's how Stonewall got started. This is a whole 'nother revolution/evolution, so it is only fitting that it be led by a queen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the looks were fantastic!
      And yes, he's a cute boy too. You are right. Drag IS activism.
      We have seen more than one movement spearheaded and promoted by queer activists. It's what we need.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    20 hours ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    5 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.