Go back in time

Show more

And a partridge in a pear tree

 





By now you may know I don't have cable tv but I could be very persuasive when it comes to other people's TIVO. So I managed to have two more of those LGBTQ cable movies people were talking about recorded for me. We have already talked about The Christmas House here and now we're going to talk about two (I know, it's a gay bonanza!) other basic cable Xmas movies that have hit middle America. Who knew 2020 could have a silver lining besides kicking Hair Furor to the curb? 

First, I watched Dashing in December, a Paramount Network production. Yeah, I didn't know there was a Paramount Network, either. I was as surprised about this one as you are. But they managed to snatch Juan Pablo Di Pace (who is gay in real life) to play Heath, the ranch hand who shows Peter Porte's Wyatt that falling in love again with the place we are from is not too bad. I have to say I have never heard of Di Pace or Porte, but I imagine that played well with me because I didn't bring any biases to the viewing. The movie is your usual xmas fare with lots of snow and men in winter-themed square cuts prancing around their house. Porte is a little too stiff for me (not that I'd complain, mind you) but Di Pace is absolutely adorable as the idealistic Heath. Oh, and the mother is played by Andie McDowell (goddess, it's been awhile since Sex, Lies and Videotapes!) so you know it's gonna be cute and have a happy ending. Formulaic? Of course. It's a holiday movie, people! But it's so, so sweet to watch on the screen gay characters who do not deal with internalized homophobia, or coming out or with bigoted people. Just plain old falling in love. 










Oh, and the second movie I got to watch (it was a VERY, very gay weekend!) was The Christmas Setup. This one was on Lifetime (television for women!) and I actually was very pleasantly surprised with the story of Hugo and Patrick. Yes, it's the big city boy coming back to his hometown and finding love with a high school acquaintance with the help of his mom during the holidays. How's that for a millenial love story? The whole thing takes place in Milwaukee (it made me wanna take a trip north!) and there's the subplot of another queer love story that you'll find quite adorable. I know I did, and I wish they would have explored it a little bit more.

Also, Ben Lewis and Blake Lee, who play Hugo and Patrick in the movie have been married for ten years and it's absolutely cute watching them play boys falling in love. Also, their romance is actually believable (Would I dare say that this movie was better written than Dashing in December?) and even the difficulties they overcome are relatable (the kiss they share is the most 'real' kiss I've seen in a made-for-cable-christmas-movie ever, BTW.). And Fran Drescher is the mom! How cool is that? Oh, while you're at it, take a gander at the actor who plays the straight brother. Yep. They've got you covered.





So all in all, I'm happy with the breakthrough of having LGBTQ offerings on basic cable this time during the holidays. Is it enough? Hell no. But it's a good start. 

Happy viewing!

XOXO

P.S. if you have already watched them, make sure you tell your friends to watch them too! And your mom. And your cousin in Arkansas. Because representation matters, hunty. Also, all those networks care about is eyes on their products. So let's give them that,  and hopefully next year we will get even more LGBTQ movies on basic cable. Well, that and One Million Moms will have conniption and croak. 


Comments

  1. I’m a little better off than you, I have basic Dish which got me the Christmas House. Unfortunately I don’t get Paramount or Lifetime. I’ll have to see if either of these pop up on Hulu. They do look super cute for the holidays and the guys are pretty hot too.

    Thanks babe.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see.
      I have no idea if you could watch them directly from Lifetime or Paramount without basic cable. Probably not. Oh, well. there's stuff on Hulu and Netflix too.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I don't have cable either, so unless they're on Netflix, or CBS All Access. or Amazon, I won't watch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      That's why I was on someone's TIVO. But then you could watch the movie where the guy who plays the brother in The Christmas Setup is. It's on Amazon. Link in the post. He's quite handsome.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I've watched Christmas Set Up TWICE and cried both times. However, the tears were from seeing open gay men play ope gay men. The cherry on top was the fact that they were an actual couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it adorable?
      I thought it was the better of the two. And I was also kinda emotional watching it. And they've been together for years!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Always happy to help give One Thousand Moms a good seizure or two. Those b#tches. (roll eyes, here). Well, one one hand... happy to see these movies. On the other... feels a bit like pandering to a demographic. But then, that's a network's job, right? Pander to that demographic? Wish it was all a little less 'white' - and I am not talking about the snow, but baby steps? Really? In 2020, do we want to be taking baby steps? Hopefully they get the message for next year's offerings. Love Adie. She rocks Groundhog's Day and has been on my list for years... such a lovely lady. And Fran is always a kick, and in light of her ex-husband, I think it is admirable that she still embraces the gay community. Glad you had a lovely weekend. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      They're c*nts. Sometimes I think it's just Monica in her sewing room typing furiously into her HP desktop. And you are right, it's a network's job but they did not have to put them out. Especially Hallmark or Lifetime. I think it signals a little bit of a shift.
      And Di Pace's family is Hispanic. So there's that. And in The Christmas Setup the best friend is played by an Asian actress, with a Colors of Benetton coterie of children appearing throughout the movie.
      Fran was a riot. And what's that about the ex-husband? Closeted? Ohhh ...
      It was a fun weekend, Upton.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you're getting your fix of gay Christmas romance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did watch "The Christmas Setup" (didn't know about the other one). It was sweet and schmaltzy, and the boys were adorable. Yep, even the wife commented on that kiss at the end. We'll now have to tune in to the Paramount network and watch the other On Demand. Maybe we'll keep hitting replay - just to make those Million Moms have those conniption fits. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hopefully you guys will be able to watch Dashing in December. They'll probably have it in heavy rotation this week.
      And The Christmas Setup was appropriately sweet. They stuck to the formula, which made me kinda happy. Being gay was a non-issue. And you know that keeping those bigoted ladies on the verge of a nervous breakdown is always fun!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Keeping those bitches on the verge should be a daily routine! #amiright XOXO

      Delete
  7. I missed Dashing, but did see the set-up, and, yeah, seeing gay men in love playing gay men in love was very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you guys like it?
      And I bet they have Dashing on heavy rotation with all the other seasonal movies. And representation matters. To think that just a few years back it would have been unthinkable to have gay men playing gay characters in basic cable...

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Watched both movies, and they were both solid. 🙂 Pretty sure there'll be more Xmas movies with gay main characters in the coming years. Looking forward to that! 👏🏻 Fran & Andie slayed, while the rest... could be much, much better. 🤷‍♂️ But at least things are changin' for the better. ✔

    Also, there's a need for a feminine twink and a masculine beefcake as a couple in movies, especially a romantic one like these Xmas ones. 💗🤍

    P.S. Just Googled Juan Pablo Di Pace again and thought his face looked familiar after seeing a few of the shots. And then it hit me... He starred in that music video for Call On Me! 😛🖤 Maybe I'm the only one who loves that song and remembers the video too well. Eric Prydz's single and that blond girl that dances with Juan. That was a HOT video. 🔥

    Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought they were both supre cute.
      And same about hoping they make more gay romance movies next year. Hahaha well, Fran and Andie are seasoned professionals. I think the most wooden of them all was Peter Porte. Handsome and all, he was basically a Ken doll brought to life.

      And I had NO IDEA Juan Pablo was in that video! He looks super cute without the beard. And that song is a remake of an 80's hit if I'm not wrong.
      That blond does seem motivated for Juan Pablo. He looks good in those shorts, though...

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I m not much into these type of movies...but it is Christmas after all! I don't watch much because the movies are always so sugary sweet and all white picket fence and happy ending....but once in a while Ill watch. I saw the Christmas Set Up and loved it. I had no idea they were a real couple?!? No wonder their chemistry was so good. I'd like to see them in a private bedroom scene!!!

    Never heard of the other or the network. But i loathe Andie McDowell, I have no idea why. But everytime I see her in a movie Im like... oh her. I think she is terribly typecasted. I've been enjoying my more standard holiday classics. My fave is Christmas in Connecticut..the 1945 version....not the rubbish remake of Dyan Cannon!!!!

    I had a time today even accessing your blog or commenting. I don't know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I watched them because there were men falling in love in them.
      I usually do not do Hallmark or Lifetime at all. They got me this year, though....
      And yes, they're a real couple and that kiss they share on the bed of the truck? Oh, LaLa. Or at the end of the movie.... yes!
      And Christmas in Connecticut is a classic!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I bet they're both nice movies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are!
      A little formulaic but that's the tradition here: they pop up everywhere during the holidays.
      Hopefully they'll end up in some other places next year.

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. I know I wrote that my main Christmas movies are Elf, Scrooged and Christmas Vacation. But I may have to watch those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yes, I recommend them. Not anything Oscar worthy, mind you. But fun nonetheless.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    8 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.