Go back in time

Show more

I’ll show you mine seven

 


Ok, so here we go. As you know, I live in a basement garden apartment, so there's really not a lot of walls and the spaces need to be defined by furniture placement. This is my 'sitting area' (you've seen what can be considered the media room and the pantry) and you may recognize those things flanking the fireplace (yes, there's a fireplace there. No, I never use it cause it's gas and it freaks me out)  because I've already show you those. The whole thing is basically in neutral tones and it's comfy. I love that sofa and I just got a new slipcover (IKEA lets you customize many pieces of furniture) and when the Summer 2021 gets here, I'll be doing some updates to it. I'm in a Debra calendar now, what with equinoxes and the such. 



I have tons of tchotchkes, as you know, and they're all over here too. Like the little Jeff Koons doggie and the Gestalta wood mannequin. A new thing for me is that I followed Maddie's advice and got some greenery for the holidays and kept getting them after. I actually like the look. It's good to see green when there's virtually no green outside. It makes me feel good. Also, those books were bae's gifts through the years. He knows I love me some political commentary. The one on top is 'Thanks, Obama'. If you don't have it, get it. It's a riot. There's also Becoming, by Michelle. Loved it.


When working with such a weird space, you need to think outside the box. So I created a gallery wall. All the photos  and the artwork that you see there were either made by or taken by somebody I love. I just blew them up and framed them. There's only three items that come from IKEA (of course) the rest, were either painted or created by someone exclusively for me or were photos taken around Chi (there's the Bean and some bridges). The old man and the doggie are pencil drawings made by my putative sister by law. The elephants were in some piece of Thai artwork and my friend Mikey processed them. Also,  if it's not obvious, I love candles. Especially in winter and spring, when I light them ALL and drink wine while I walk barefoot around the house. Oh, BTW that Chicago Reader? It was the last one I got before the pandemic hit. It had a list of 'Best of Chicago' and we were trying to hit all the spots they recommended. I can't believe it's been more than a year. I have it there so I can remember I used to do fun things.



This is a little reading nook. Again, the books were gifts. The Obama book by Pete Souza is a fav and the other one is the book that John Oliver published about Marlon Bundo, the little bunny the daughter of the Devil's Butler had. The Dali book and the artwork were gifts. The artwork was made by the wyphe. I've had that portrait for YEARS. I cherish it because it's literally an original. Her mom used to say it was Tom Cruise and she never contradicted her. I know it's not. Also, those snake plants have been with me since they were literally an inch tall. 

And I think that's all. Now you've seen my house. Funny, how showing you all this makes me feel like you could come and visit some day. Who knows, right?

XOXO

Comments

  1. I love the tour. I like the collections of things that matter to you; the books--I am all about the books; and the special things you've made or someone you love has made.
    That's the same as our place; the things we have all mean something, and not just "Oh we bought that here," but it holds some significance in our lives.
    I need to do another favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!
      Thanks! And yes, I think we should surround ourselves with things we love. After all, we look at them all the time.
      And you do need to do another 'favorite things'. They're so much fun!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. You do have a knack for decorating. You’ve created an inviting atmosphere for yourself and it looks very peaceful.

    And that is one big ass floor lamp!

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say...Go big or go home!!!! Tis rather a lovely floor lamp.

      Delete
    2. Haha
      Well, I would not say decorating, I would say pleasant placement LOL.
      And that lamp is kinda average for a floor lamp. Remember I live in a basement and the ceilings are not your average ceilings!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. We are the same even how we arrange things..and nothing is there to just be. It all has a meaning. Of course...my eye went immediately too the wooden dollkin...the balloon dog and the focal point...the gallery wall. Bravo. Many are to nervous to hang to many pictures. Huge walls need art...not just two little pictures. It looks great. And I also loved the two stacked woven ottomans behind the sofa. Nice touch of texture too. As your aware....I too love candles...like seance level amount.

    Oh yes....I could see us having a nice wine night of talk in their Sixpense!! I'd feel right at home. Now what shall I wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As little as possible. 😎

      Delete
    2. I'm with Huntley. At least nothing more than undies or jock. Butt naked is fine with me. 😎

      Delete
    3. OMG Maddie!
      Thanks! That coming from a professional with a fantastic eye, is totally surprising. And flattering, LOL.
      I do like the gallery wall. That was some huge wall and I thought anything but everything and the kitchen sink would look weird there.
      And those little ottomans are super versatile. I use them to sit people when I run out of chairs. And candles are essential! Seance level sounds about right.
      And a wine night would be awesome! And we'd send Big and Bae pics. They'd appreciate them.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Eclectic. That's what I love about the entire space. And the things you have are there because they mean something. The gallery wall is awesome. We have a similar one with a variety of works, metal sculptures, ink and watercolor, acrylic paintings, prints; all gifts. Mix it up, make it interesting, right? Of course, we have books all over the place. Probably not a room in the house that doesn't have at least one or two. Let's curl up and read something! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We decidedly have the same taste in light fixtures and lamps. XOXO

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Big!
      Yes, everything here means something. It has been found, given or bought for a specific purpose. And gallery walls apparently are a thing. If we have some things we love, why not showcase them, right?
      And books are fundamental!
      LOL that lamp was an obsession: I saw it and decided I had to have it. I stalked tit at Cb2 in Lincoln Park until I got it. I took on extra things one Summer just to pay for it. Totally worth it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I would LOVE to come visit your humble "cottage". wish you lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG AnneMarie!
      It would be so much fun! I too wish we all lived closer.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Oh, "a Debra calendar," eh? Hahahahahaha! Love your gallery wall and reading nook. And if that sofa could talk . . . amirite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yep. That's how I call it now. I've become very prone to celebrating some things that I did not celebrate before.
      And thanks! The reading nook was a last minute idea. And that sofa has been spared shenanigans. Now, the other, bigger one in the 'entertaining room'? Well, that's another story...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Oh I love it, classy and cozy in one fell swoop xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dearheart!
      I remembered you said you like these kinds of posts!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. STOP. You are killing me. How elegant. OMG. You live this way? Like a magazine? Amazing. You are so creative and have such a lovely sense of style. How clever and truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing your home with us. I am duly impressed. Have a lovely, dear. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh Upton. You just made me blush. You're too kind. And it's just placing things. Anybody with an IKEA nearby could do it. I swear.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Love the wall of BW framed art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yes, coincidentally I had all those pics in B&W and decided to group them all. it seems it worked!

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I love shopping at Ikea. And like you, I'm getting ready to change the cover on my couch. Less costly than buying a new couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes!
      Going to IKEA is super dangerous for me because I always come back home with two new plants and three things I was not planning on buying!
      The slipcover idea is super practical and it changes the look immediately! Do it!


      XOXO

      Delete
  11. how great tastes you have!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.