Go back in time

Show more

Inside Bretman


I think living in an island like Hawaii would feel like nothing else. I've only been to islands twice in my life and the feeling is usually overwhelming to me. And not in a bad way, but visiting an island makes me feel very small and... terrestrial? I guess I feel it's just me and all that water, and it's not an unpleasant feeling mind you. It's just at a metaphysical level, because after all, people go to islands all the time for vacations. Or maybe that's why they do it, too? Who knows. Anyway, when I saw that they were profiling Bretman's house in Hawaii, I knew I had to watch. Also, I really like houses that even though you know have been curated by someone, they still manage to retain much of the personality of the people who live in them. 

With these posts, people have mentioned they think houses always reflect the state of mind of the people who live in them and I agree. Bretman may seem very Gen Z in many aspects, but I am sure he's quite centered. Just look at his place. I particularly liked how spacious and full of light the rooms are and that some of the art pieces in the house have such cool stories (Bretman seems to really like art and to support local artists, yay!) and that they are tied to their owner in many ways. I imagine also that it's the quality of light you find in an island what makes everything look so crisp?

I find it interesting that many people do have what they call a 'formal living room' and a 'formal dining room'. I've seen that in many houses I've visited and we always end up eating and sitting in much more 'informal' places. This is a very spacious house and I particularly like the idea of that upstairs game/lounge room. It feels... inviting? Homey? Comfy?

It was also very interesting to have a view of what the place of work for a person who lives much of his life in social media looks like. Bretman may play the part of the quintessential Generation Z kid, but he's obviously been able to channel that charm and his sui-generis style into a business model that is obviously very, very successful. That house did not buy itself.

XOXO

p.s. is it weird that I'm still thinking about his terrarium??

Comments

  1. I'll be honest: I have no idea who he is or what he does. To be that successful, that young? Well, all I can say is, Bravo! I like his aesthetic, but the entire place looks formal and a bit sterile.
    The formal living room and dining room...yep. We have them and very, very rarely use them. We have a much more casual family room off the eat-in kitchen where we hang out. It's always where visitors end up, too. The door to the patio is nearby and (especially) when the weather is nice, that's where everyone ends up. Casual is where life is found. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same.
      And I know that people have their 'formal' living spaces but end up gathering in much more casual spaces. It's just how it works, no? And people always end up gathering in the kitchen here! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is nice. Very nice.
      I love all the light.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Didn't like it. I felt his place was, as you say, too curated. Everything is designed to impress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that even though it reflected his personality, it was still too curated, yes.
      It's also AD, so yeah.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. CROCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill cut that bitch! She probably ordered them from Amazon too. That queen lost me at the crocs! I knew something was off with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill be honest, he and that valley girl talk were on my last gay nerve. This was not my favorite house tour...but I do enjoy his art and agree the terrarium is kick ass. Over all, the home felt cold to me.

    Like Pat brings up, I had no idea who he even was...which makes me think, I almost feel sorry for internet and social media personalities. A couple years from now will people even remember who they were??? Unlike real celebrities and movie stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Get her!
      I think he did a collab with Crocs and that's why they're there. Business, you know. And he's been known for awhile. Many of these social media personalities branch out into other ventures (hence the Crocs) because internet fame is fleeting.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. People who have these big houses and live alone are a real puzzle to me. Why would you need so much space for things. Granted, much of the art work has a special meaning but I think you end up buying things just to fill up space. And the huge kitchen just to use the microwave? Get out of my way, I have better uses for that.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he mentioned his mum?
      I don't know if she lives there, though. And it IS a big house. Not even I would know what to do with it. LOL
      XOXO

      Delete
  6. LOL. I think we may be being gaslighted here. But that's an opinion. It is VERY expensive to live in Hawaii. And real estate is insane... like Japanese Businessmen insane. The taxes alone on something like this are insane. Yes... it's only .28%, but then the The state of Hawaii has the lowest property tax rate in the nation at 0.28% Hawaii has the highest median home value in the U.S. at $669,200. That's MEDIAN home value. What this kid is showing us? OMG. Just living there is insane. Everything has to be airlifted in so cah-ching - big mark ups. Maybe Amazon has changed all that? I don't know. When I lived there - Amazon was still an idea yet to be born. So... let's not kid ourselves thinking this twinklet has turned youtube stardom or social media influencer money into real estate. Oh, there's somebody footing the bill, but not this annoying queen (can you tell I don't like him?) Just to be clear... I don't like him. Well... with me? You always know where everybody has to stand... (this one? over there!). Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait what?
    I never thought about that. Of course everything has to be brought there. Duh.
    And I didn't know the median house would be that expensive. He's even thinking about having a pool! That's not just some money.
    If what you say it's true, I want that kind of power. Really. That house is not cheap!
    I cacklet at 'twinklet'.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love in Hawaii, but not in such a spacious house so that makes me jealous. I had about 500 square feet in LaHaina but, hey, it was Maui, and I was about 90 seconds from the beach.
    We have a formal dining room here at Casa Bob y Carlos, but it gets used regularly, though quarantine year saw a decline in those numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice house.
      And living ninety seconds from the beach in Hawaii would make up for ANYTHING.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.