Go back in time

Show more

The silent type

 



Progress is always relative: to the oppressed, it can only be viewed as an all or nothing deal - if oppression continues, even in a modified form, then the system must still be attacked until that injustice is eradicated.


Some people are happy with the way the world works. From their situation of privilege, they cannot see injustice or oppression because it does not affect them in particular or their view of the world in general. It's a comfortable position that they explain to themselves in many ways. I cannot do that. I  fixate on many things that are, to my eyes either unjust or that oppress somebody: inequality, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, you name it. I wanna know where it comes from, why it happens and what can be done to squash it. 

Not talking against something that we can see is unjust or outrageous or despicable is basically siding with the oppressor. Yes, if you don't speak against injustice, you are siding with whomever is abusing power or their position or their status. When there is no room to be or think differently,  there is no freedom, only oppression. That's why I'll always speak up against it. I cannot be a spectator. That is better left to sports. 

Take for example our topic today: banned books. I've spoken about banned books before. And I'll keep speaking about them, because I agree with the idea that books are the carriers of progress and civilization. I also agree with the idea that to stop progress and civilization all you have to do is to stop people from reading books. Oh, you think I'm sounding too Fahrenheit 451? Welcome to Banned Books Week 2021. Because even in the XXI century, some people keep trying to stop progress and civilization. 

For me, Banned Books Week is kind of a year-long event. I don't read as much as I used to, because I guess I have left life take ahold of me and I have joined a modified version of the Rat Race that is living in a capitalist society that sees production as a goal and not a means. But I digress. Banned Books Week is always my starting point to planning what books I am going to read the rest of the year. And I make sure that some I get from my local library and some I go ahead and buy. Because I put my money where my mouth is. 


From the top ten most challenged books of 2020, there are some that have been part of my readings for years, books that I've read and re-read because there's always something that jumps at me every time I revisit them: To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, The Bluest Eye. Oh yeah, some of the books we read in high school are in that list of Banned Books. Because the powers that be have decided they have a White Savior, profanity, racial slurs, sexually explicit or considered to be anti-police. I bet many of you still have these books laying around the house. These books should be read over and over, with a critical eye, because their message is always relevant.

I strongly recommend you read The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas. It's a book that opens eyes and hearts. If you don't have time to read it now, watch the movie. Seeing the world from the eyes of a 16-year-old is an illuminating experience. 



If you have young people around you, try George, by Alex Gino. A book that was in my list last year and that made me go to the public library in Joliet for the first time. It was an experience, getting my library card, but one that was worthy because I really liked the book. 



The top three books I'm going to be looking for this year are:




Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Ibram X. Kendi and Jason Reynolds
Reasons: Banned and challenged because of author’s public statements, and because of claims that the book contains “selective storytelling incidents” and does not encompass racism against all people.




All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely
Reasons: Banned and challenged for profanity, drug use, and alcoholism, and because it was thought to promote anti-police views, contain divisive topics, and be “too much of a sensitive matter right now”.




Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Reasons: Banned, challenged, and restricted because it was thought to contain a political viewpoint and it was claimed to be biased against male students, and for the novel’s inclusion of rape and profanity

Are they going to be easy readings? I be they won't, easy readings are reserved for beach days. Will they make me woke? Probably not. That's not a thing, honey.  Will I gain insight after I read them? Most probably yes. Because reading about somebody's experience even if that experience is not mine, it does not mean that I have lost my time. It means I know more about the world now and that makes me a better informed person.

So there's that. Ready to celebrate Banned Books Week? Ready to go to your public library? Or maybe buy a book? (try buying directly from the author or independent or local bookstores, BTW. Yes, I'm preachy). In any case, Happy Reading! And let me know if you read any of the top ten banned books from 2020. Remember, reading is FUNDAMENTAL.

XOXO

P.S.









Comments

  1. We've watched The Hate U Give a couple of times now. love it. Now I'm gonna look for the book, and kook for some of the others on that list.
    In 2021 banning books is barbaric. If you don't want to read something because of the subject matter or the profanity don't effing read it, but don't ever tell me I can't read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good movie. The book is (of course) better. And that list is actually pretty good. Recommended.
      I'm always amazed at the level of petty malignancy some 'conservatives' harbor. They really want to tell everybody what to do.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Book banning in this country happens when white people realize their position of authority / superiority is challenged by the realization they are only ephemeral. They are not the chosen ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite literally, yes.
      White fragility and White grievance are the driving forces behind racism in this country.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Well the only two I've read were Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird. I will never understand why books and movies get banned, when some have been around for years. Like for example could you imagine All in The Family airing now??? I suspect the show , book and movie list will just get longer and longer because society gets their panties in a twist over the smallest thing anymore. Were soon to have a bland society and entertainment. Everything is "whitewashed" pun intended. Most of these mediums represent the times. Like Bob said if people can't take it or don't like it, then don't fucking watch or read it. It's like Lisa Lampanelli says, "If you bitches are offended by my act, there's the fucking door."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everybody has read those two! They have been part of the high school curriculum for decades!
      And it's all about what some people want to preserve and how whitewashed they want history to be. You are so right. There's the fucking door all right.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. "The Hate U Give" was just broadcast on TV here a couple of weeks ago. I taped it but haven't watched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you've got to watch it.
      It hits hard.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. As you know, I am a voracious reader. "Go Set a Watchman" the story Harper Lee originally wrote was finally published. Lots of fanfare amid lots of hate because, suddenly, Atticus was not the champion that 10-year old Scout wrote about. If you haven't read it - do. The classics will always be good reads. "Tom Sawyer" "Huckleberry Finn" - two more classics that have been banned in certain areas, at different times for different reasons. All of them ridiculous.
    "The Hate U Give" is an excellent book. And the film was pretty faithful to it.
    The "woke" and the evangelicals can go clutch their pearls all they want, but the minute they tell me they want to ban a book - that's the minute I run out to buy it. There is a perspective to be gained by reading. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about 'Go Set a Watchman'! I have not read it, and maybe I should.
      People want to present an idealized, wrinkle-free image of a very imperfect and cruel country. The Hate U Give is great.
      The Evilgelicals always talk of THE CHILDREN! when deciding what to ban because they abhor education.
      LOL You and I are the same. The second I hear the wingnuts are up in arms about something, I need to know more about it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I love to read a lot, but now I'm a bit busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG same, Xersex.
      I do need more time to just read and chill. I used to do that so much more in the past...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I CANNOT BELIEVE that The Bluest Eyes is on this list. I just read it last year. I thought it was brilliant... chilling, but brilliant. A bit shocking, but... such truth. Why should such a book be banned? SMH. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for the rest of these. I picked up The Bluest Eyes out of one of the mini libraries I pass on my many, many neighborhood walks. Just adore those mini libraries. Does everybody have those in their neighborhoods? I get the best stuff out of them and then pass 'em on. I adore reading. This summer has been a good summer for that. I even read a book by Agatha Christie! Thanks for this post. Interesting stuff. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's literally outrageous.
      The Bluest eye is such a good book. And books that shake us are good. The whole list is very, very, good. While researching them I decided I would also like to read Sherman Alexie's book. And free libraries are THE BEST! You don't see them much in the suburbs here, but in Chicago's neighborhoods (especially the most liberal ones) they're everywhere.
      Reading is so much fun.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Like Dave said, book banning is done out of fear. And many times the people who ban them haven’t read them and aren’t able to form a critical thought if their life depended on it.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally.
      They want to preserve their way of life. And you know the 'conservatives' do not have idea of what critical thinking is. It goes against everything they stand for.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.