Go back in time

Show more

Tiny Desk


Olivia Rodrigo, a literal teenager, wrote the album that I wish I would have had during one of my breakup moments. I've had several of those moments (mostly while being a grown ass man) and I think this album would have fit right in with my foul humor, willingness to cry and self-pity. There were always Tori and Alanis, but this is fresh.  I also think it's one of the coolest albums of the year, which I know will rub some of the ‘purists’ the wrong way, but I do think it's a very good album. And I can decree it 'good' because I, along with the tweens, some gays and the ladies who lunch are the ones who still buy music in many formats and also stream it and we are literally the ones keeping the music industry alive today. So there.

I've posted Olivia here before, of course. Because I'm sneaky and because I have been listening to her songs all this year. Kind of obsessed with the album, to tell you the truth. I find it that I like really old songs (I’m with you and Herb Alpert, Maddie!) or really new songs that sometimes nobody has heard before (or at least it seems to me that way). I have a weird way to relate to music. It has to touch me, it has to tell me something, and I need to like the artist. Funny that this year it's been Olivia (along with Dua Lipa and Doja Cat) and last year it was Billie Eillish. I seem to have the same sensibility of an eighteen year old girl, but you already knew that. 

As I said, I may not know music as many of you do, but I do know what I like. And I like Sour, Rodrigo's first album. So here's her Tiny (HOME) Desk concert. Because of course MTV doesn’t do Unplugged anymore…

So what did the pandemic get you to listen to? 

XOXO

P.S. I also like these versions of her songs:








Comments

  1. She has that "little girl" voice that a lot of younger female pop stars have and I just cannot handle it.
    But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bob. Fake breathiness in a little girl voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, maybe when her voice matures a bit. Then again, I didn't care for Miley Cyrus when she was this age, either. But, unplugged Home concerts? Those have been happening for years. Two friends of mine - one here, one in Nova Scotia - have been hosting home concerts for forever. And, yes, with real recording artists; known recording artists. LOL.
    What did the pandemic get me to listen to (purchase)? Adele, Pink, Babs.... Old artists. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only listen to music in the car. Being a happy person (even though my husband would argue this fact), I only listen to Tina and Chaka Khan. Full blast with the top down, mind you. It makes me not only feel happy but I have hair! lolol

    I'm with Bob on this child's voice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      I ALWAYS listen to music in the car. Always. And you know anything with Tina is a classic. That voice. Chaka Kahn put out a record a few years ago and it was a banger. Wish she’d put music out more often.

      XoXo

      Delete
  5. I learn all about new music here at your blog! I'm such a stick in the mud otherwise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      My pleasure! I don’t listen to as much radio as I used to but once in awhile one earworm gets my attention and I’m hooked.

      XoXo

      Delete
  6. I’m with Debra, I come here for the latest trends. For me a radio on while I’m working or in the car is background noise. It keeps the demons at bay 😎

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      If I remember well, you used to know most of the new songs that came up in those mix tapes online, bae.
      And music does keep the demons away. Always.

      XoXo

      Delete
  7. I think Olivia is amazing and with exception to Good 4 U, I can't seem to get into her. But Im always up for something new to listen to and love finding new artist to enjoy. I'll try out anything once. My biggest shock to listen to this year as been Ryan Hurd. I'm like, WHAT?!?!?!?! But I enjoy most all music to some point but rap. Very, very little rap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      I really like this album. And I love Good for You! Very Bikini Kill of her. And Ryan Hurd, huh? Gonna have to look him up. I trust your taste. Remember Alabama Shakes?
      Rap and Country I can only take in small doses.

      XoXo

      Delete
  8. Fun stuff. Billie Eilish really opened some doors. It's that sound, but more tween. It takes courage to write music and to be so young and have all that talent at her disposal already! Good for her. She will find her audience. Fan base is where it's all at. I remember older people in the 70's hating anything that didn't sound a certain way... and I think that's more and more true... that we have trouble adapting to new generations of musical stylings. The last big leap I made was Phoenix (Wolfgang Amadeus) and Passion Pit (Manners) - it took me a week before it clicked and then I was hooked... then the trail went cold with the introduction of the likes of Bon Iver. So then the Weeknd was happening and, well, I always find something to grab onto. I listen to digest. To understand. It keeps the mind young and our hearts hungry. Kizzes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      When I heard Driver’s License I was like, yep. There it is, the Billie influence. I think she’s cool. When I was eighteen I could barely write my phone number. She wrote an album.
      And Passion Pit and Bon Iver sound familiar. Will check them out. I positively love the weekend. His sound is very Off The Wall for millennials.
      I heart ya so bad, Upton…

      XoXo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.