Go back in time

Show more

Gay Agenda


I love Shamir. I think that he sounds like the future (much like Sophie) and the way gender, gender expression and queerness intersect in this video was perfect for me. I like that Shamir literally dances to his own drum. After putting out Ratchet, his debut album, he was dropped by his label for not staying with the path THEY had drawn for him. Today he runs his own indie label, has dipped his toe in the clothing business with a (sold out) collection and has even written a book. Yeah, I feel like I didn't do shit during the pandemic.




@SHAMIR326



 I feel like this @SHAMIR326 album, HETEROSEXUALITY comes out in the right moment. It seems that he's following his anti-career with a very NIN album. Oh, it's not The Stooges, but he doesn't need to be. Very industrial-noise and drum machines. He's bringing something new to the table. But of course I was hoping Shamir would do something like that. Serotonin comes and goes in tiny waves, baby.
We have to remember that even though we have Queer Eye and Drag Race, We still need queer representation in music. The neoliberal fantasy that we do not need semantics is that: a fantasy. Queerness needs to be visible and tangible. And Shamir is here to demonstrate that. Not your cup of tea? Move on. But for those of us who like our artists queer, he's a welcome voice.




I also like  the faun-like creature he seems to be embodying (maybe a nod to his being non-binary?) and it goes great with the not-pop lyrics he's singing. This is not cotton-candy pop. It's darker and a little bit angrier. He's publicly spoken about being Bipolar and has opened a much needed space for queer people and queer people of color to unload their sadness. What other artist is doing that right now? Go ahead. Name them. I have time...

XOXO


P.S. and appropriately, taking into account the fuckery that 'don't say gay' brings here's also this:



Comments

  1. I immediately notice his horns!! Pan and the fauns had horns! This unconsciously throws us into a wild dimension that resides within us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this interpretation!
      A faun clicked but Pan! That's really cool, Xersex.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. he does seem quite horn-y and hoof-y.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shamir is a fantastic success story, thanks for sharing. He had a traditional record label, but didn’t like their direction? “Thanks for playing, I can do better on my own.” Then he exploded? That’s awesome. Break the mold and make your own!

    Thanks for sharing, babe.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      His Bye Felicia moment with the record company was epic. And then he succeeded. Sweet.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I assumed the antlers just meant he's horny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The horns and the hoofs draw attention, but will it stay if they disappear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will.
      Vulture, Billboard, Rolling Stone and several more music publications are profiling him. Years after he LEFT his record company because they wanted to put him in a mold. I think the attention will stay put...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. As Xersex said, Pan and the fauns had horns and hooves. It's a great representation. If one can break out as an indie, so much the better, right? Less hassle, that's for sure. It takes money, though. So if you like his stuff - support it as you are by buying and promoting.
    I will say, though, that queer has been represented in the music industry for ages upon ages. Sir Elton, George Michael, Liberace and Johnny Mathis (though both heavily closeted), Boy George.... Granted not displaying the sadness that comes with being marginalized, but....
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was very unusual for a musician to draw from that.
      And being an indie darling has tons of advantages. Not the money Gaga is making, but there's only one Gaga.
      I've bought even his one-offs. I love Ratchet. And I agree about some queer artists being there, but were they OUT when they were at their most famous? Nope. None of them.
      And Shamir definitely brings other things to the table....

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Cher could pull this look off. It reminds me of bdsm slave drawings of ponies and cart pulling. He sure does get your attention!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's funny here is I wasn't aware of him till about a years ago....and thought the name sounded familiar from a bar here called The Milk Boy. One of my favorite places. EXCELLENT indie groups...and even better cocktails and delish food!!!! All three worlds collide. I was just in this weekend and saw the poster for him this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you did?
      Maddie! Oh, can you imagine us listening to him over some cocktails while checking out the boys? GIMME!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. You would LOVE Milk Boy.

      Delete
  9. Love the song... "then you're not for me." What a powerful statement and one a lot of young gays need to hear. Enjoyed everything about this... except it was too short! Again, thanks for shining a light. You have your fingers on the pulse of what is going on, and I appreciate that (I'm a bit stuck in the past.) Wishing this artist great success. You're the best, dear. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too!
      So with it. So perceptive. His music is not for everybody (or his lyrics) but he's super good IMHO. Thanks for listening, Upton!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.