Go back in time

Show more

Invincible



I love Omar Apollo. I've posted about him here before. And I love men singing to other men, duh. I also love his sound, because I cannot really define it. I like artists who do that to me. It's like Frank Ocean got together with Jimmy Sommerville and out comes his voice. I wish I had Upton knowledge of music to kind of analyze this song, but all I can say is that I really like it.

Also, another thing I found interesting is that he's signing with another guy. It's a duet that feels like the two dudes are each singing to the object of their affection:

Twenty-four hours after CS:01 release
I miss my girl, it's time to hit the streets
I went to check my doc, get some vitamin C

Obviously a guy singing about a girl, right?
 And then this: 

Sixty-four hours since my baby spoke to me
He kissed me, now I love his dopamine
I tried to go to sleep but my brain on 2C-B

And the cincher:

That's my song, let me hear that bounce
Latin boy, Frida Khalo brow
Jacquemus jeans, Ferragamo brown
Venetian walls with porcelain tile
286, Donnie Darko town

I'm sold. The only person who I have seen mesh both a straight narrative and a queer narrative in a song so blatantly was LilNasX in Industry Baby where he sang with Jack Harlow singing the straight guy verses. I love that for them. The idea that some men have that if they get close to a gay guy (or like the same kind of music, right, Big?) they're going to become... gay? For some poor, fragile, misguided men 'gay' means feminine and nothing (NOTHING) could be further from the truth. You could be a burly, tobacco-chewing, stubby-jawed, hyper-masculine construction worker who only listens to... country music? and still be the faggiest faggot ever to commit faggotry. Being a man comes from inside, dearies. The rest is just... Drag. 

And here Daniel Caesar demonstrates what Jack Harlow showed in LilNasX's record: a straight guy will still be a straight guy -even- if he sings with a gay guy. No skin off his teeth. Love that journey for him. And what about the homoerotic frolicking at the end of the video? Boner. So I love the new song and can't wait until Omar Apollo's full record comes out in April. Totally ready to buy it. I'm already streaming him on Pandora. Because I like my artists very, very queer. Just like my men. 

XOXO





And he's coming to Chicago!!

Comments

  1. cute and talented

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it...except the rap verse. (Just never been a fan.) He's a got a great voice. Love the 2nd photo - it's very...1920s / 30s? And, right you are, Six. Being a man comes from the inside. The rest is just...Drag. That made me smile. Thanks for the shout-out, btw. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      I think rap can be an acquired taste. I do like some rap artists, though. And I go more into Hip-Hop. And yes! That second photo is very Rudolph Valentino.
      And of course I had to quote you. That post made me think!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Big smooches! XOXO

      Delete
  3. This is a great song. I like his sound and the video was great. Nothing wrong with a little man on man in a music video.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the song was really cool.
      Loved the video. Man on man action always gets my attention. You know that.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. A fascinating, complicated mix of ideas and musical styles. This is music construction. He's sampled from a number of sources - folk, seventies bubblegum, hip hop and trap most obviously. Both Massive Attack and Billie Eilish spring to mind. I assume he's working on a laptop in his living room using ProTools or a screen recorder. It's incredibly disjointed - purposefully so - like an arm hanging from a robot's socket. I like his voice, although I'd need to hear more of him to get a sense of his range. The video is visceral. Scathing. Thanks for sharing this. It's such a brave new world now that gender ice caps are melting and no one has to be any one thing. Hybrids are a wave... ride it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh...
      Yes! I think Trap and TripHop are totally on target. And many musicians are imbuing their productions with that intimate, bedroom sound. I'd totally recommend streaming his songs. They're on Pandora and Spotify. His YouTube channel is another good source.
      It is a brave new world those gender ice caps had been on place for way too long.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Awesome! He's also beautiful...but his voice!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      That voice is very distinctive. And he's so... striking? He's very tall and lean. And I his face is so expressive!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. What a voice. Thanks for sharing, Sixpence. I hope you get to go to the concert and have a fantastic time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Mr. Shife!
      Always glad to show something new. And I really want to go to a concert. I'm still not too at ease with tons of people around, though...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I like. And he's easy on the eyes, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too!
      And yes, very, very easy on the eyes. Always a plus.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Interesting. But you know me, rock & roll forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know, Dave.
      But isn't that a little.... limiting?

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    13 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.