Go back in time

Show more

Fire Island



Here's the thing: I have never been to Fire Island. Or Provincetown or any of the gay vacay meccas in the United States. I've been to San Francisco and New York, but everybody has been to San Francisco and New York. But The Pines and PTown are hotspots that many a gay man has decreed mandatory visit during the summer even before Stonewall. And I have heard the most incredible stories about Fire Island and Provincetown. Especially Fire Island. 

Tales of debauchery and heartbreak and summer flings and relationships and incredible sex and orgies. You name it, I've heard it has happened in one way or another during the summer in Fire Island. But I've never been there. So when I heard about this movie (I've been hearing about it since last year, TBH) I thought I needed to see it. And now it's here. 



And if you know me, you know they say 'gay rom com' and I'm there. Add 'Elizabeth Bennet' and I jump to it. Having a queer re-imagining of the (told and re-told) story Austen wrote in 1813 is very intriguing to me. I even read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, for Pete's sake! And with the myriad cliques and sub-cliques and the incredible snobbery so many groups of gay men have, I wonder why something like this has not been done before. The gay 'scene' is ripe for drama and class struggle.

Add to it that the cast is all LGBTQ and that it was made by Disney before the 'Don't Say Gay' brouhaha and you've got me interested. I'm sure this movie is gonna be part of the 'culture wars' the religious wrong has retaken lately with Death Santis going all Fascist Asshole on Disney and Disney not doing enough. On top of that, the cast is very diverse. It has Joel Kim Booster, Bowen Yang, Margaret Cho and Conrad Ricamora. There. Sold. When was the last time you saw so many queer, Asian people in one big studio movie? Right. 

Also, while watching the trailer, I realized that one, I have not been on a Summer vacation in a while, and two, that I don't have the big circle of friends I used to have ten years ago. I don't go to big parties or brunches or potlucks anymore and I don't see many of those friends as often, if ever. Yeah, many have gotten married, moved away, some even have children now but until a few years back we always made an effort to meet, one way or another. I now kind of think I missed out when they invited me to PTown and The Pines and I never went. So bittersweet. Add to that the two years and counting of the pandemic and now I look back and realize I have not been in touch with many of those friends in a long, long time. Darn it. I may have to get on FaceTime STAT.

So I'm gonna be watching this one. I'm sure it's gonna bring back memories of fun times and it is gonna make me miss some very cool people I don't see anymore. But that's what good movies usually do, right? Move us. It's going to stream on Hulu and Disney+, of course. Can't wait for the fabricated outrage of the stupid religulous wrong clutching their imaginary pearls one more time. That could actually make this movie even better.

XOXO

Comments

  1. you will see this film as a time machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally!
      That's a great way to put it. I'm sure it's gonna make me nostalgic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I saw the trailer this morning. Interesting, though it's not something I'd go looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the trailer just dropped.
      It was gonna be a webseries, but I like it more as a movie.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Three words: Margaret Fucking Cho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!
      She's everything. Her being in anything makes it automatically cool. And gayer.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the heads up about this movie. I would never have picked up on the "Pride and Prejudice" plot just from watching the trailer, so thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure!
      And the gay scene is the perfect scenario for the shenanigans that Austen described in the 1800s. Some gay men are basically stuck in the IXX century in what concerns social class LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4/26/2022

    This new comment thing isn't working for me, dammit!!! It won't allow me to use my Blogger ID. Everything except Anonymous is greyed out. Total B.S. ****sigh****

    Anyway.... We don't have Disney+ or Hulu. But this has Bowen Yang and Margaret Cho, then I will find a way to see this. XOXO
    Big

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4/26/2022

      I agree Pat!!!!! At this rate I may just stay away!

      Delete
    2. Oh, blogger is a nightmare right now.
      I could not post in Dave's blog and in some blogs I cannot be in a mobile device if I want to comment.
      And I hope they make it available to stream, too! It would expand its reach. Margaret Cho is a national treasure.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4/26/2022

    Ok blogger is screwy today. Only anonymous for me too 😕
    I saw the tweet from Joel Kim an immediately added it to the Hulu watch list. It looks like it’s going to be a romp. Thanks for bringing it up babe.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is going through some issues.
      And I have it my list too! I have not seen a gay movie with an ensemble cast that looked this good in ages.
      XOXO

      Delete
  7. OMG OMG OMG... I love this cast. AND MARGARET CHO!!!!!! Trust me, I'm a doctor...! !!!!!! I laughed out loud. I would watch this in a panty drop. :)

    Hey. I haven't been to any of those gay meccas either, except San Fran and I never did any gay stuff... well, I mean... I didn't go to a bar. (Did plenty of gay stuff... in my room, at their condo... etc.) But, no... We should go. It could be a script that writes itself. Two gay bloggers who have never met in person throw caution to the wind and meet at O'Hare Airport, have a drink, get on a plane and spend five days at Key West's most naked, most gay, most inclusive gay resort!!! The sequel is Fire Island. And the nail in the franchise is Provincetown where, ummm... you get married to some guy who's been after you since Key West. Huh???? Whatta say, boy? Chatanooga Choo Choo Choose Me???? Kizzes. Thanks for sharing this. I suddenly feel like a SUPER GAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME!
      Love me some Margaret Cho. And when she screams at the 'trust me, I'm a doctor' she was the perfect auntie.
      And I that looks like the Travelodge movie the world has been waiting for! And I've never been to Key West either! And I'd love to get married in PTown. Is there anything gayer than that???
      Super Gay is my superpower!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Anonymous4/26/2022

    You know me. I know nothing about P-town or Fire Island. Especially the dick dock or meat rack. It was wrong turns I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4/26/2022

      It's Maddie! What is the hell is going on with blogger now?!?!?!?!?!?!

      Delete
    2. Maddie!
      I know! It's such a pain. I think they're doing one more of their 'updates' and they're screwing us all. It may be the HTML: sometimes my browser warns me some sites do not have it. Ugh.
      And I IMMEDIATELY thought of you and the tales you've told us about PTown! Wrong turns my ass. You could find your way to dick under the dick dock in the dark. Especially in the dark! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.