Go back in time

Show more

Heartstopper






I wish I would have had something like Heartstopper when I was a wee gayling. During high school the only book that I read which kind of had some reference to gay relationships between younger men was Les Amitiés Particulières by Peyrefitte. But it was literally a tragic love story. Not very positive. You see, when I was little, when I read, I always fantasized about the two guys being together: Clark always ended with Jaime. Batman, of course, had Robin. And I never saw that reflected in the movies of books I liked.

When I was growing up there were no shows like Heartstopper, that tells the story of Charlie and Nick, two high schoolers who fall in love. It kind of hit me hard because it reminded me of my falling for a straight boy when I was in eight or ninth grade. His name was Joseph. Joe, to his friends. He was taller than I was (I've never been a tall guy) with long legs that bowed a little, like a cowboy without a horse. He had that way of walking that seemed to take a lot of space but that was very economical in movement. He had big hands and bright green eyes. An easy smile and curly hair. And he was my friend and he basically protected me from the bullies by making me part of his invisible entourage.

I pined for him for two years, I think. He knew I was into him and he just let himself bask in the admiration. He would look into my eyes and hold my hand while we did math homework. He taught me how to climb a rope and introduced me to his older brother who was a year ahead of us and to his friends, who were loud and intimidating. He carried my books and walked me to the school bus. My last year of high school I moved to another city and I never saw him again. I am almost sure he was straight. Or at least probably bi. What I am sure of is that whomever ended up in a relationship with him was a lucky person. 




This series brought all those feelings back in a rush. Heartstopper is the story of Nick and Charlie, two high schoolers who meet and fall in love. Charlie is gay and out. Slightly nerdy and kind of lets another boy kiss him on the down low because he's not sure he'll ever have a boyfriends. Nick is part of the rugby team and for all purposes, he's straight. They become good friends and things develop from there. 

Heartstopper is a graphic novel that apparently originated online, on sites like Tumblr, where Alice Oseman self-published it as a serial.  This happened way after my time on Tumblr, which I left after the Great Cleaning, when they scrubbed everything erotica from it and left it almost empty of queer life. But Oseman's graphic novel survived. Maybe because there really is no sex in it. There's gay, bi, lesbian and trans characters in it, though. There's bullies and there's coming out. And there's love. Both the graphic novel and the Netflix series absolutely capture that first stirring of interest in someone. That first pining, that first feeling of finding someone who makes us feel alive and seems to 'get' us.

For a gay boy growing up, there were not many role models or examples of healthy gay romantic relationships in my life. We are bombarded with what people think is the rule: heterosexual dating with strict gender roles assigned: boys ask girls out. Girls say yes (or no and the boy moves on). Rinse. Repeat. There are no really many depictions of queer relationships that describe those first moments of attraction: the thrill, the doubt, the joy of having a boy you really like hold your hand and kiss you. Well, until now.

I got the graphic novel at my local library and burned through the first three volumes like a mania. I am now waiting for the fourth installment to get to me. I'm fifth in a long waiting list. The graphic novel and its spinoffs have become suddenly very popular, with Netflix putting out the show and all that. Surprisingly, it has an almost perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes. And I totally recommend it. Even if you are way past your teens. Even if you are not a romantic, I think you should watch the series. Don't have Netflix? Call a friend and have a viewing party. The episodes are short and make for quick viewing. Feeling anti-social? Go to your local library and ask for the graphic novel. Or just buy them all. For your nephew, you know?

Trust me, no matter how rusty and blasé you think you are, I'm sure Heartstopper will get to that boy you once were who most probably fell for another boy when he was in high school. Or maybe later? And whether you acted on your feelings at that time or not, that is not relevant. What's relevant is what you felt. Go ahead, get lost in that emotion. You can thank me later.

XOXO

Comments

  1. This is very, very popular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 100% rating. A first for their revues.

      Delete
    2. Correct!
      The Rotten Tomatoes rating is quite striking, right?

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I know this is all the rage right now! I didn't know it was based on graphic novels originating on Tumblr -- very cool! Haven't seen it yet but it's definitely on my "to see list."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It popped up in my suggestions cause I watch Sex Education, I guess.
      And yes, it is one of those Tumblr creations that takes on a life of its own.
      Totally recommend it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I'm not much into comics but the story as did your sounds very cute! I picture you blushing with excitement writing the post. I'm glad it is here for kids now to enjoy and read. I agree about the growing up with lack of role models. Mine. Steven Carrington on Dynasty. A poor excuse. But truth be told, you know Alexis Carrington Colby Dexter Rowen was more my true role model, lol What future drag queen didn't love her! Those dresses and hats. Hats Hats Hats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the comics are soooo cute! I got them at my local Library.
      True story: I got a little bit of butterflies thinking about Joe LOL. It was so scarce so actually find something we could find any kind of positive gay characters when we were growing up!
      And of course Alexis was your role model! Hahahahah.
      The shoulder PADS!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Beautiful story. One of my specialties, since adolescence and then throughout my youth, was to fall in love with hetero guys. Once I also fell in love with a priest, who then left his office to get together with a girl and have a child.

    Or, if you only knew how many times I've heard from someone I was hoping to see or see again: "I'm sorry, it's no longer possible: I met my ex again and we thought we'd try again." By now, when I have a serious chance of meeting someone, I start thinking how soon he'll find someone else more interesting than me or when he'll get back to his ex-boyfriend ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Xersex
      We've all been there. Yes, the lure of the hetero guys. And I can totally believe the story of the priest. We saw those when I was growing up because I went to catholic school.
      And I feel you about the men going back to their exes. Happens a lot!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5/12/2022

    Big says:
    A wonderful story of young love. Nothing new in that, is there? That's the thing about the hetero community that has beleaguered the homo community for ages and ages --- they quash anything that doesn't fit their image of life. Now, thank the gods and goddesses, the queer community can have their stories seen and heard. We need to find a way to hold onto that. But I fear we're going to continue to backslide. Pretty fucking pessimistic of me, isn't it? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5/12/2022

      Oh, and I want that neon MUSIC sign in his bedroom! Because of course I do. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Oh, Big.
      It's sooo sweet! I was into it from the jump. And you're right: heterosexuals tend to be quite adept at shoving their lifestyle down our throats. I think that's why the bigots try to ban anything that speaks of diversity: fear that we see ourselves reflected in the world. It's not pessimistic, it's kind of a reality.
      And that neon sign is dope!

      XOXO

      Delete
    3. Anonymous5/13/2022

      Big says,
      Joy Reid kinda hit the proverbial nail last night talking about the looming death of diversity. She (and her talking heads) agreed that the evilgelicals realized they def lost the Culture War. So, in response, they' decided since they can't win by persuasion they will win by legislation. XOXO

      Delete
  6. My OCD kicked in and I've binge watched it three times. I read that it made Top 10 in 54 countries.
    I had no sexual awareness during junior high school. But what got to me was the innocence and 'cleanness' of the characters. The direction and editing were flawless (especially in episode three). The music is 'bubblegum' but so appropriate. I think this was the best thing I've seen since QAF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      You're not alone! I have watched the whole series twice and I've read the three first books twice. Waiting for the fourth book. Some teen in Chicago has it right now. The Netflix series is fantastic. Olivia Colman plays Nick's mum!!! And the animations are right in line with the books. Fingers crossed for a second season!
      And I was precocious. I was fooling around with older boys from a very early age.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I just finished the series yesterday. Loved it. Laughed, cried, cringed (to borrow your words--rinse repeat). It made me remember the feelings of falling in love for the first time. It made me think about how awful bullies in high school were. It made me want a do-over for high school and college. I heard they are getting another season!
    Netflix then suggested "Elite". Have you seen it? I might dive into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG really?
      And yes, it's so reflective of those first attractions we have! And yes, it brings back all the bad memories, too. While being a testimony to the 'It Gets Better' mantra, right?
      And I'll totally celebrate if they have another season! They used the first two books, mostly. There's still two more published.
      Elite is great. It's much more mature than Heartstopper. Think Gossip Girl. There's also queer storylines there. Very hot actors.

      XOO

      Delete
  8. I encourage you to write YOUR story. I was swept up in it... I wish I'd experienced something like that. Just lovely. I will check out the Netflix version. Love short episodes. Thanks for highlighting this.

    You should write, dear. You don't have to be a writer to write. Just write. That's how one becomes a writer and gets better at it. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh, Upton. You're too sweet. And I kind of write my story here. You guys know much more about me and my life that many people who can actually see me face to face!
      And the series is super watchable. The episodes are short and sweet. I think you'll like it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Jimmy also recommended this one and the trailer looks fantastic. I had some of your similar feelings about an unrequited high school crush when I watched Perks of Being a Wallflower. It also makes me happy that boys are finding representation on screen and in novels despite the push from ignorant turds to ban everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's such a cool series!
      It's supposed to be for teens but I think the story is universal and for all ages. And Mr. Shife, The Perks was THE book everybody had to read! Stephen Chbosky gave a talk in my college and EVERYBODY went to it.
      And how much you wanna bet the bigots will go after these books too? Ugh. The ignorance.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Anonymous5/12/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    This is kind of ironic. Working from home, I hate working in silence. I’ve been streaming the local public radio, but I decided I needed something fresh.

    Our library card gets us access to Hoopla for ebooks, video, and audiobooks. I’ve never done an audiobook so I thought I’d give it a try. So I hit the diversity tab and came across “The Music of What Happens,” about two very different young men who develop an attraction for each other while working in a food truck. I’m about half way through it and it’s quite entertaining.

    I think I’m going to give this a try for awhile.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha same!
      I always have some music on while working. And I just put The Music Of What Happens on my list to read. Listening to audiobooks is rad.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.