Go back in time

Show more

What Is The Asian Himbo?


I clearly remember the first time I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's thinking that there was something fundamentally wrong with the Asian character. Years later, I learned it was played by Mickey Rooney and that he was definitely not Asian. It’s been probably twenty years since I watched that movie with some of my friends some lazy Sunday afternoon and I believe we still don't seem to get male Asian characters right in movies (or TV!).

Asian men have not precisely been portrayed in a flattering way in American media, let alone in movies or TV. And don't get me started with Asian men being portrayed as sexually desirable. Well, apparently in the last years that has kind of changed and we've got the Asian Himbo: an athletic, muscle-bound stud that is not usually the sharpest tool in the shed. Progress, right?

Wrong. Asian men have gone from undesirable and nerdy to desirable and dumb. And how did they make that jump? Well, the stereotype goes back to when Americans went around screaming Yellow Peril. Yeah, it seems that being fearful of other peoples and making them look as a threat is nothing new in American society. Americans went as far as prohibit Asian men from marrying white women. Does that sound familiar?

So it should not come as a surprise that Asian men were never represented as attractive or desirable, but first as dangerous and supercilious and then as nerdy and socially awkward (remember Sixteen Candles?) and even when things start changing with Harold and Kumar (Kal Penn? Yes, please!) the pendulum really does not swing to a more stable position. Enter the Asian Himbo. 



And why would things change, would you ask? Well, money. With movies like Crazy Rich Asians and Shang-Chi raking in the millions, Hollywood paid attention (even though TV had been catching up on the Asian Himbo investments, due to backlash for lack or representation) and more Asian men have been included in many more movies and TV series and will hopefully not cause another meltdown among fragile white men. LMAOOO Who am I kidding? You know there's many wyte dudebros screaming in the void that is the internet that they'll be 'replaced' by some Asian hunk as I type these lines. 

That meltdown has already happened among gay white men, though. It's been a minute since I've been in the apps, but I do remember that Grindr started monitoring the No Fats, No Asians, No Fems trend because it got really out of hand.









So I have the perfect antidote for you: Fire Island. Yeah, it's out already and it's funny and it's smart and it's exactly what I needed to start my summer: an intelligent gay rom-com that does not shy away from asking questions (to its characters and to us) and that has a lot of eye candy. At the center of Fire Island are Noah and Howie: two besties who even though do nod to Jane Austen's  characters, have bonded due to their experiences of feeling invisible due to the fact that they are Asian. It is an interesting study between Noah's bravado at molding his body to use it as a passport to his 'self-improvement' and Howie's all but defeated outlook at dating. It's a movie that at the end, takes a good look at queer desire, nicely wrapped in a rom-com format while grappling with ideas of beauty and power. 

Highly recommend.

XOXO


P.S. And talking about eye candy, Noah and Will need to have their own spin-off movie.

@conradricamora
@joelkim





Comments

  1. Anonymous6/06/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Fire Island is definitely on my watch list. Conrad Ricamora has been on my radar since he was on “How to Get Away With Murder.”

    Another show on the CW is the revival of “Kung Fu” with a female lead, but some very desirable male costars. Yes, I’m an equal opportunity ogler 😎.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll like this one, bae.
      And Conrad is an absolute yes. I like he plays buttoned up guys. I love me some Clark Kent that becomes Superman. And the CW is becoming very cool, no?

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I limit myself to my personal experience: I met Indians and Japanese who were lovely and so sexy to make sex with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's what we should all do:
      Try dating someone and then if it does not work, we have something solid to go by: we have tried and found out we do not like it. Not just go blindly and decide to put everybody in a box.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Japanese men are - imho - much sexier than chinese... But it's a matter of tastes! And I had sex with some with men from India or Bangladesh with a great body, and huge hole and ... what blowjobbers!

      Delete
  3. Haven't watched "Fire Island" yet but probably will sometime this month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      You totes need to post about your impression! The Margaret Cho character is a hoot. And you'll find the Austen references.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6/06/2022

    Big says,
    Oh, come on, now. How could you think anything else of WhiteBro America? All I can say is thank the gods and goddesses that attitude hasn't permeated 100% of White America. As far as the Himbo? Well, I think you'll find those in every culture, just as we find Bimbos in every culture.
    I would love to see "Fire Island." Yep. Won't be able to unless it comes down off Hulu. Don't get it. And I ******refuse******* to keep signing up for more and more paying sights. It's aggravating. With every damn place wanting more money for content, I curse the streaming industry. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha whitebro America is fucked up.
      And I like the Himbo. I think I've written about him here. As for Hulu, yes, I know. I would also like to have just one or two main stream services but they keep popping up like mushrooms after a summer rain. I think you need to convince a friend who does have Hulu and have a watch party!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6/11/2022

      If you want a laugh, there's a dudebro on YouTube who is apparently complaining that the bats do philanthropy?

      And now the Justice League is dead, which means a queerer generation will be the new heroes from now on. Because people stay dead in comics now, apparently.

      Now put that fuckery across all nerd media. It's hilarious, but also sad.

      Delete
  5. I just saw a preview for Fire Island and it looks like a perfect summer fun film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a riot!
      When I saw the trailer I knew I had to watch. And was not disappointed. Totes recommend.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I loved Fire Island. It made me smile cry (is that a thing?). I also loved Conrad Ricamora in How To Get Away With Murder. He played the super intelligent IT guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      Noah and Howie's friendship is so fucking real! Conrad has been on my gaydar for awhile now. He's got that intense, smart, sexy demeanor that I find very attractive in men....

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I'm putting it on my list, but we know how well I follow that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Well, just click PLAY, Dave. It's easy.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Breakfast at Tiffany's. I always get compared to Mag Wildwood!

    I have dated two Asian Himbos. Both I hate to say dumb as a box of chalk, with big dicks. Well, two stereo types out the door!!!! But I also dated a brilliant stockbroker once. Very smart and cute, and had a little dick. See, one can't have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We plan to watch the show. And the boy loves a Asian Himbo from time to time. On another note, I need to get Maddie to take us to Fire Island sometime. It's been on the bucket list forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh let us know what you think!
      And I do love me a Himbo too! Beefy and ditzy is a good combo. And Maddie should do a guided tour of the Meat Rack. I'd sign up for that!

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Breakfast at Tiffanys. I have always been told I'm Mag Wildwood.

    On the Asian Himbo front, I have dated two, and both were dumb with huge cocks. So those stereo types went right out the window. I also dated a cute Asian stockbroker once and he had a small cock. So I guess one can't have everything.

    And again...I will never understand shutting yourself off from a man or having sex with a man like some of these guys above. Give me a cock on any guy and I'm happy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha!
    I'm deffo Holly. And a dumb Asian himbo with a big cock? Where do I sign up? And I have never dated an Asian guy. I have never ruled it out. All the Asian guys I know are straight, alas.
    And you know some gay men always have some kind of hangup about something stupid. I agree with you: the prerequisite is a nice cock. I'll work out the rest.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.