Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Mr. Parkinson...


Listening to Andrew Parkinson, I realized I've never been 'a gardener'. I like plants, don't get me wrong, but the idea I had of a garden was nebulous at best. What was a garden? My granny used to take care of the plants at home when I was a child, and even I would follow her around and pick up branches and dead flowers with her, it was never a very aesthetically oriented endeavor: the garden just was there, it was part of the house. 

It wasn't until the pandemic stroke that I looked at the patch of mulch behind the house in a different way. The previous owners had children and there was a whole swing set with a little tree house there and a sand pit in the shape of a turtle. Oh, there were two hosta plants planted there, those super practical plants that seem to be everywhere and that so many people seem to have in their gardens. And that was it. That's all I had. And one day the previous owners asked if they could have that playset. We were more than happy to say 'yes'. They came with a U-haul truck and got it. And then there was that space.

I never thought anything would come of that patch of mulch until after they took that playset away. Then I read about the Monarch butterfly and the Illinois Monarch Project. I decided that I wanted to plant silkweed and create what some call a pollinator garden. I wanted that patch to have a purpose. And I started planting seeds for butterfly gardens and bulbs that would have flowers without any order in mind. I guess I wanted it to look that it had always been there, but I wanted it to be useful and open to birds and bees and insects. Oh, and I also got an apple tree on sale. Gotta have a little tree in the garden. It's been doing well, I think. At least I didn't kill it. 

And yes, I got some bug hotels and some birdhouses and started my 'garden'. And it has been a fantastic experience. When I was working from home, I could see the garden from my desk and see the birds flying around and discover that I had new flowers almost every week, and I would go out after a day of meetings and take it on the weeds. So relaxing. Picking up dead flowers and plucking those pesky weeds that seem to grow in every inch of available dirt took my mind off the fuckery that was work. I'd put my Beats on and play Defected and that would be it. An hour or two would pass without noticing. 

Now I got birds living in all the birdhouses (I've got around seven?) and bees and insects live in the bug hotels. And I've had flowers since, like, March, maybe April? It is, like Arthur says, a collective. They nurture me for wanting that nurturing. All those wildflowers have been popping up in waves and are now home to a bunch of insects. All the plants in the patch are perennials and most are native to Illinois, so once they are established, they'll need little to no care. I want for them to eventually take over the whole patch and become just a mass of flowers. There's a little path there, made with Chicago bricks the manfriend got for me from a salvage yard. They're like a hundred years old and mark a little path that is right now partially covered in places by the hosta plants (I found several in a box on the side of the road near Utica and brought them with me), which apparently have a very particular way of growing.

Some of the gladiolus from last year did not come back. I have no idea what happened to them. But there's so many other new plants that I did not notice that until last month. I planted seeds, but of course you know I forgot to put markers, so I have no idea if they're weeds or actual plants until they start to flower. And there's two birdbaths (one is a repurposed ceiling lamp we found in an alley in Chi) and a thermometer that is a sunflower that tells me how hot it is and a red gecko next to the red roses. There's a lot going on in the patch these days. It's not the same patch that had an abandoned playset in it.

So yeah. That's the story behind the patch of plants behind my house. I guess I've got a garden now, huh?

XOXO

P.S. I took these pictures below back in June and July. I forgot I had them until I watched Arthur's video:




















Comments

  1. I don't really think I have gardens, I just stick things in the ground, mostly they grow, sometimes they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8/12/2022

      Same!
      I didn’t even know I WAS gonna have a garden and now apparently I do have one. I enjoy it, though.

      XoXo

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8/11/2022

    Big says,
    That looks very lush. Gorgeous. The best we can do here are butterfly sage --- the flowers look somewhat like a Lilac. I've tried other flowering plants and it gets too hot here for them and they require tons of water which, as you know, we can't afford in this area. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8/12/2022

      Awww.
      Thnx, Big! And you should go with butterfly sage, then! I’m trying to plant only local plants, so they don’t depend on me to flourish. That’s why the garden flowers in waves, too.

      XoXo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Anonymous8/12/2022

      Thank you!
      I’m really enjoying it. It’s given me flowers ever since April or May. It’s such a joy.

      XoXo

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8/11/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Wow, babe, your whole hand is green, not just the thumb. What you’ve done is fantastic! I’ve gotten rid of my vegetable garden due to the lost war with the weeds. I have been thinking about doing some prairie flowers, nothing really structured, so I may till part of the old garden next year and scatter a bunch of seeds and see what happens. I’ve also got some unplanted area up buy the house that I’m thinking about planting flowers. I saw this article online about plants that repel mosquitoes and may do some of these:

    https://blog.therainforestsite.greatergood.com/mosquito-plants/?gg_source=TRS&gg_medium=house&gg_campaign=Ad-720x360_Blog_mosquito-plants_TRS&gg_content=2022-05%2F720x360blogmosq_220524101154.jpg&_ga=2.183953764.356834726.1599414290-894216840.1650186392

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8/12/2022

      Hahaha
      I’ve surprised myself, bae. And you should definitely go for a marsh look. There’s tons of tutorials on how to get a marsh garden on YouTube. You can start seeding in the fall and continue in the spring. Most of what I have comes from seeds (that’s why it’s a total surprise when I suddenly get flowers!).

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. It looks magical, and beautiful and peace-filled; I love.
    At our house, Carlos is the gardener who makes things grow, and I am the one who cleans up and trims and prunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8/12/2022

      Awww…
      Thanks, Bob! I’m enjoying it very much. I’ve gotten flowers all year round. And there’s plants that are just growing now!
      It seems that you and Carlos have the gardening routine pat down!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. YAY!!!!!!!! Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As someone who is an amateur gardener, I'd say you did a great job with the garden. Look at all the change from when you started it. I always tell friends when they set up a garden and bird and butterfly habitat, it takes at least a year to establish itself. The garden here is going insane. I shared pictures some time ago, but you might have missed that post. It was on a weekend when I blogged it. For me the biggest thrill this summer , at least here, is I finally got hummingbirds. Couldn't get them at my place in Bucks County to save my soul. But didn't have a garden there either. They are highly attracted to blue and red flowers. They love the salvia. Have you considered an herb garden? I did some dill, sweet Italian basil and rosemary in terra cotta pots with other flowers, and they are doing incredible. Plus they smell fragrant, and you can use them for cooking. I bet you'd do well with one.
    I also love the Hosta. I always have. A nice green leafy plant that also blooms. A win-win. I also cut Hosta leave stems and arrange them in a vase for the indoors. They look great to add some greenery. So glad you did well, it all looks great.

    Sorry for the ramble....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps! You should submit these pictures for Mr DeVice's Annual Garden Photos Event!!!! He'd love it! He is a reader of mine that host a blogger event of everybody's gardens. His blog is in my sidebar, Inexplicable DeVice. He's a big ole adorable drink of water!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8/12/2022

      OMG
      Thank you, Maddie! That’s high praise! *blushes*. And you’re right. I keep getting surprise plants and flowers every month. These pics are from two months ago. I should take a pic in September and save it.
      The first birds that came to nest were a delight. I’ve seen butterflies, bees and varied insects but no hummingbirds yet. If I see one, I’ll die!
      I have some rosemary and lavender growing here. They were decorative plants somebody didn’t want and I planted them here. They’re big now! I’m gonna try some others and maybe next year I’ll mix in some pots.
      I’ll go back in your posts to see if I find the photos and I’ll try to remeber about Mr. DeVice!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Anonymous8/12/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Babe, you’ve got a green HAND, not just a thumb. You’ve done amazing work here. Since I took out the vegetable garden, I may till some of that and spread some seeds next year to try and help the monarchs and the bees. I’d also like to plant some things up along the house.

    I saw this article online about plants that repel mosquitoes which may come in handy:
    https://blog.therainforestsite.greatergood.com/mosquito-plants/?gg_source=TRS&gg_medium=house&gg_campaign=Ad-720x360_Blog_mosquito-plants_TRS&gg_content=2022-05%2F720x360blogmosq_220524101154.jpg&_ga=2.183953764.356834726.1599414290-894216840.1650186392

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sixpence! That is really beautiful. So much more complicated than anything I attempt. Congrats. That is absolutely lovely and you should be very proud of yourself. Kizzes.
    P.S. Enter these pics in Indispensable's garden contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww
      Thanks, Upton!
      And between us, the garden just happened. I did not do any planning (I may have planted low-growing plants next to tall ones!) and it does not follow a specific shape or idea. I just basically planted things I found in stores in places that were available LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I meant... Inexplicable DeVice's garden contest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will think about it.
      My little garden really is not that special, though...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.