Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Joey....


Oh, yes. Joey (@treuvius). I feel you. 

We all collect something: books, records, cutlery, pets, you name it, people collect it. That there are levels in that collecting? Yes, of course. But we all collect something, no matter how spartan our quarters may look. Some people collect clothes (some would call it hoarding, but when you use most of what you collect, is it really hoarding?) and there's where I kind disagree with people who would like to call it 'hoarding'. Hoarding, by definition implies that the objects are useless or worthless (to others) and that discarding them would cause distress. I would politely show them my middle finger if somebody tells me that the Gucci belt I wear most every day needs to be 'discarded' because they consider it useless. 

Even though I do not get to the heights Joey goes with the clothes (I don't have that kind of money or have had the time to start a collection like this one), I can totally see where he's coming from. For some people, clothes are utilitarian, barely necessary tools to achieve a goal: go through the day at work and be able to leave the house without getting arrested for going to Trader Joe's commando. But don't lie to yourself: even your pedestrian cargo pants from Kohl's, your tube socks or your Carhartt jacket are fashion statements. For some other people, clothes are a means of expression, a joy and sometimes a slight obsession. And nobody is in the wrong here.

I sit somehow in the middle: I like clothes because they are pretty but I also like clothes because they kind of express how I am feeling at a certain moment and in some ways allow me to be myself. I have work clothes and fun clothes and clothes I love and I wear them all, just like Joey. I do not have his penchant for expensive, collector's items, but if I had the extra money, I could be tempted to buy designer clothes. I was just browsing a thrift store last weekend and I ran into a vintage Gucci tracksuit that was way too expensive, but oh so pretty. 

Also, you can tell when a garment is made by a designer: the finishings, the materials, the feel of the cloth. Everything IS expensive and well made, full of finishing details that tell you that work went into the garment. Would I spend big money in designer items? To tell you the truth, I would feel kind of guilty, even if I had the dough to spare and taking into account that designer clothes are actually investments (their resale value is very high). Do I have designer items? I do. Kind of. I do not own any Moschino (but I would love to!) but I do have a leather bag and a pair of shoes that were kind of expensive and I wear them constantly. After all, that's why I bought them. I think I may also have a leather belt that was above what I would usually pay for one, but I also wear it a lot. I tend to balance my bougie side with a dash of practicality. I'm vers.

I think that Joey is different to the usual collector in that he actually wears most everything he collects (and  the fact that he's got some love from @JeremyScott himself!!). I am, of course, slightly jealous of this collection (I would consider selling my body to own the high tops with wings, natch), but I am also happy that someone gets to actually live his fantasy of collecting exactly what they find fabulous. And wear it, too!

You go, Joey!

XOXO

P.S. can you imagine that the person who creates the things that you so covet not only recognizes you as a collector but that they actually gift you one of those things??? I'd faint. 


Comments

  1. clothes are not useless: they are made to be worn, first of all. Or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      I love clothes. And I love nice clothes. They are very useful to me.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. in fact, they should be used for what they were designed for: wearing them

      Delete
    3. Correct.
      And the thing with designer clothes is that they tend to be very well constructed. They fit very well.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Collecting is not hoarding. Hoarding is a mental illness where random crap (often garbage) is amassed because of depression or insecurity. A collection is curated, deliberate and reflects a passion. I'm not into fashion myself, but I loved this video! And I'm glad the designer gifted Joey the coveted bejewelled crown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree.
      But people see a lot of stuff and the first thing they think is: 'hoarding'. There's a big difference between hoarding and a curated collection.
      And I loved his stories and his passion. And he's super nice!!!
      I would have died if a designer sends ME a piece I really covet. Can you IMAGINE????

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. For me; winter = sweatpants and sweat shirts; summer = shorts and T-shirts. That being said, his collection may be worth a fortune someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      So you do have a style??? I'm shocked! LOL
      And he could sell only part of that collection and make a pretty penny.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12/14/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    This is a fantastic collection and I see why you’re in awe of it. I fall into the utilitarian bucket for clothes, I’m not into labels and I am cheap (frugal?) for the most part.

    So all this time you’ve been verse? Huh, that’s not the impression I got 😜

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha you silly goose!
      And you do have style. You also look very fetching in pastels.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely like you when it comes to clothes. I've paid way too much money for some items that were designer. Now I have designer , the classics and basics, a few trendy pieces, and then some Thrift pieces. And then I throw them all together for mix and match. But I have no problem paying for more expensive items because you know they were going to hold up for years. I wouldn't say I collect

    The only thing I come to hoarding with is probably men and cock. And then I am a hoarder because I don't like to discard any of it!!!!!LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      I do not have a problem when I get into something expensive cause I'll wear it to death with some of my findings. And nice things last FOREVER. Especially leather goods.
      And hoarding men should be an olympic sport. I'd try it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12/14/2022

    Big says,
    I don't have many clothes at all anymore. Now it's 501s (long and short), and a bunch of t-shirts. So, okay...that's my choice of clothing for collecting: the t-shirts. We won't go into the music collection. 🤣 XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is YOUR style.
      And I kind of love it. Laid back and casual. I have a friend who mostly wears black, for real.
      And yes, the music collection! I was just thinking I cannot buy more records. Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I like a ix of good stuff and thrift store finds. Years back when I was living on Maui the local thrift would have a monthly sale where you were given a brown bag and what ever you could get into the bag was yours for $5. I still have some of those treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      I love me my thrift store finds! I also LOVE getting good deals with very super expensive shit. I have some Levi's I got in a thrift store like, almost twenty years ago. For real.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. NO. I did this with costumes for years. I can't with that mindset. It's heavy. That stuff is heavy to lug around. And dumb. Because one only needs so much. I get that he treasures this stuff and is proud of it... but I don't think our identity should be tied to things... it should be about who we are and what we contribute to the world around us. Wow. This? This is nuts. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    6 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    1 week ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.