Go back in time

Show more

SWOP! There it is...

 


A few years back, a friend partner's passed away. Weeks after his passing, his partner had us over for dinner, or something (it may have been a holiday, I don't remember) and we got to talking about him. Our friend had been sorting out Ron's possessions and telling us stories about them. I suddenly found myself in possession of some very cool records, courtesy of his record collection and privy to some information I did not have before: you can have correspondence with somebody who is in jail, without even having to give out your address or any strings attached. You can write to somebody you will never know. Somebody who probably does not have anybody to write to and somebody to whom you can bring some happiness in a very dreary situation. Who knew?


You see, our friend discovered that his boyfriend had been -for years- writing to imprisoned people. And not just imprisoned people, LGBTQ+ imprisoned people. People who had been put in jail for assorted felonies, but most usually, for sex work. I was immediately fascinated. On the one side, we never saw Ron  as a specially sentimental person. Artistic? Yes. Good conversationalist? Yes. A great Yatzee player? Obviously. But somebody who would take time to write to people in jail? Never.




So that visit literally started a tradition that I still keep: every holiday, I write ten letters to ten people I have never met and who are in jail. Heh. Bet I made you blink. It's very simple. You ask SWOP to be part of their writing party and voilà, you're set to go. And you can invite friends, too! This is what they say about their Writing Party:


Each passing holiday behind bars marks another season that incarcerated people are unable to be with the ones they love. Fill that space this Valentine’s Day, Kwanza,  Christmas or holdiay of your choice by sending letters of love and support. Sending greetings to acknowledge Pride month is also a great idea. Use letter-writing parties to bring your friends, coworkers, or fellow community activists together.
Please follow these rules:
  • Do not use stickers or glitter on mail.
  • Do not use gel pens.
  • Use plain white paper only, lined or unlined.
  • Do not use greeting cards as many facilities do not accept them.
  • You may use colored pencils, markers, or ink stamps.
  • Write the recipient’s name, DOC number, and address on the letter as well as the envelope.
  • Do not retain lists of names and addresses and contiue to use them as this info changes quickly.
  • Do not use your return address. Use: SWOP BEHIND BARS ATTN (Your name/organIzation) 340 South Lemon, Walnut, CA, 91789
Please understand that not all persons identify as ‘sex workers’. Respect their privacy and do not solicit their story or the details of their arrest.


It's actually quite simple. You wish the person a nice Holiday and you are done. Of course, you can do some social activism by just spreading the word: SWOP has a social media presence on Instagram and Twitter (and Facehook and TikTok but I despise those platforms so you'll have to go to SWOP's webpage to get those). They advocate for anti-trafficking, decarceration and education. They have programs and outreach and also an online shop that you can use to get some swag.

So, just between us and the internet, when was the last time you actually sat down to write a letter?


XOXO


P.S. You can also donate to SWOP and I believe it's tax deductible!!

Comments

  1. Interesting. I suspect the biggest concern is not that they were sex workers, but about the felonies they committed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but that is not a concern to me at all!
      When I send the letters I think that the person may be alone during the holidays, that maybe no family is writing or visiting and that the one letter I sent is gonna make them feel better somehow...
      That's why I write.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Now listen here, I may Young And Hip but some days I tell you I'm like The Dowager Countess. I'll have you now I still write handwritten notes to family and friends..... email pif! And actually this is not surprise me this is something you would do, rather a cool thing. I believe I had two friends in the past that would support this Swop. As I remember them talking about it. As a matter of fact my one friend's partner is one of the people that received the letters. I forget what he was incarcerated for. But anyway he had told his partner of all the guys and himself getting the letters. That's actually smart about the address part, because one never really knows, and who wants to end up like Blanche Devereaux in a golden girl skit? This is something I would probably consider for next holiday season. I wonder if it goes on all year long or just at the holiday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      Honey, nothing like actually WRITING something nowadays. It's more... organic?? And I'm so glad there's more people who have done SWOP! I tell everybody about it and I had two writing parties before COVID.
      And you see? That's what I'm talking about: the person receiving the letter may really appreciate it.
      And nobody gives their actual address in these exchanges. It's all done through an organization. And I think their educational programs go all year round. Check them out. It's a great way to volunteer some time.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12/15/2022

    Big says,
    Wow...who knew? Right? Writing...cursive or block lettering is no longer in my wheelhouse. My hands cramp within minutes. Some people handle incarceration well, others go into deep depression around the holidays. And a letter just might give them a little boost. That you do this shouldn't surprise anyone who visits here on a regular basis. 'Cause you're a lovable mensch. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww sorry about that, Big!
      Hey, but you could dictate the letters to someone? I think you could also type them given the situation. I think people who receive the letters appreciate the thought, not the medium. And you are right, the holidays should be brutal for some incarcerated people.
      And me, lovable? Aww *smooches*

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I might purchase some 'Swag', but that's as far as it goes. A bit scary for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea!
      There are many ways to support a charity like this one. Thanks, Jimmy!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Interesting! I've never heard of this organization before -- I don't know if we have anything similar here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you need to find out!
      I'm sure there's something similar going on in the North. The prison business is blooming in the US, btw. Shameful.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. this beautiful initiative reminded me of the seven corporal works of mercy according to the Catholic tradition address the physical needs of the poor. These include feeding the hungry, visiting the imprisoned, burying the dead, clothing the naked, caring for the sick, sheltering travellers, and offering drink to the thirsty.

    Evidently not abandoning prisoners is a transversal teaching of different religions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I don't have time for an accurate translation.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely true, Xersex.
      Very good analogy. It's kind of giving to the people who really need it? It's actually one of the tenets of xtianism. They don't practice it, though...
      You're so thoughtful!

      XOXO

      Delete
    3. In theory, it should be a HUMAN principle.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I know, Xersex.
      But we cannot ask the Religulous to do that. They have no heart...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I love this idea and am off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes!
      It's so very rewarding, Bob. Seriously, you feel like you're giving out little gifts to people who are going to appreciate them very much. And you can have a little writing party!
      Yay!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Nicely done, Sixpence. Sounds like a good tradition to keep going and the folks behind bars probably appreciate some kinds words at this time of year. When was the last time I wrote a letter? Probably 6 years ago when I had to explain to an organization that gifted money to help with corrective hearing surgeries. I explained how I was born with single-sided deafness, how it impacted my life and how a hearing aid would drastically improve my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mr. Shife!
      *Blushes* I think that many people stop thinking about people behind bars. We as a society suck. And I think we all should write more letters. Too much technology is not good.
      And I did not know you have single-sided deafness. One of my exes had that too and he used to wear a hearing aid. Nowadays they're almost imperceptible. Hope you got it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12/15/2022

    This is such an awesome idea. I’m sure there are many long, lonely days for the incarcerated. I’m sure they appreciate someone taking the time to send something.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?
      I think it's that old golden rule, applied. Doing it just because it's the right thing to do...

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. How nice of you! And Ron. Very sweet of you to take the time to lighten the load of someone in a terrible situation. You the best. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was speechless when I learned that about Ron!
      One should never judge a book and all that. I feel good thinking that someone else (even if I don't know them) is gonna feel good for an action I took.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    6 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    1 week ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.