Go back in time

Show more

What Was I Made For?


So I finally went to see Barbie. One of my Gurlz was in Thailand and just came back and the other was feeling under the weather so we had to postpone it one week. But yesterday we went to see the movie.  You see, we have this thing on Tuesdays that we make time to go to a movie in the theater. After the pandemic, it feels like a luxury to dedicate an evening just to the big screen and popcorn. And Skittles. Nicole Kidman was right when she invited back to the movies. It's also half price. Win/Win.

So Barbie. I was impressed (Dave was right about this one). I have seldom found a movie where I just get the references, where the jokes are not lost, where there are parts that really go deep. Some parts of the dialogue stayed with me even after the movie ended. And it's a fun movie. Does it get transcendent? Yes. If you let it. And I did let it get transcendent. I'm going to have to see it again. Maybe when it's streaming, because the layers are there for us go through them. Or not.

My favorite part? Anything with Kate McKinnon in it and everything with America Ferreira in it. Not to say that Margot and Ryan are not good. Far from it. But they had to be good. They were Ken and Barbie, after all. And the group of Kens and Barbies (and Allan!!) are fantastic. Some Sex Education alumni, too!

So if you have not seen the movie yet, go. And go with your friends or your niece or your (wo)man or your granny. Because I know everybody can get something from the movie. Oh, and I wore pink, by the way. Because of course I did. 

Happy viewing! 

XOXO


Comments

  1. Big says,
    We do plan to see it --- reports are all good. Of course you wore pink. Some guys have taken to putting on pink tutus...and, why not? Have fun with it because that's what Gerwig wanted - fun, but with a message. Or, a message film that's fun. XOXO

    P.S. I missed yesterday, obvs. Sometimes plain old life gets int he way. 🤷‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes, I was wearing a huge pink Madonna t-shirt and pink Chucks. And Greta did a fantastic job. Really.
      And glad to see you're back!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. It's kinda still on my Maybe Lust but you have swayed me a little.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll love it.
      I see you quoting it left and right. It's that fun and it's that smart.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. America Ferreira will easily get an Oscar nomination. She gives that long speech about women that's coming straight from her heart and is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree.
      Her story arch is fab. I don't see why she's always flying under the radar every time.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8/16/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I’m glad you enjoyed it, though there was no doubt in my mind. This so looks like a fun movie. I’ll probably wait until it starts streaming to see it, though.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a blast.
      And if they stream it, it's a must watch.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I'll see it when it hits a streaming service. But I know I'll enjoy it too. I love anything with layers, subtext and transcendence too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll love it.
      It's so much more than just a 'Barbie movie'. And it's very funny. And pink.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Nope.

    And I'm a huge fan of America Ferreira..and Margot Robbie, who will always be more delish playing bad... and will forever be Harley Quinn...not so much a fan of Kate's, or Mr.' Goslings.

    There goes my gay card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh, America is fab. Really. And I agree with Robbie playing Harley Quinn (Birds of Prey is one of my fav 2020 movies!) also that song by Doja Cat. And I think Kate was great in the movie. And don't tell Dave about Gosling. It's one of his favs...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. That video is really amazing. Great song. On the fence about Eilish, but this one... wow. Now I want to see the movie. Have avoided it. Will wait until it streams. Looking forward to it now. :) Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh.
      So glad you like it! Billie has moments, but I like most of her stuff. This song is perf for the movie, BTW. And I'll watch it when it streams. It's that good.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    12 hours ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    2 days ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    5 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.