Go back in time

Show more

Oh, reading...

 


I decided to make a (very short) list of the best books I read this past year. Because why the fuck not, right? It's that month of the year, after all. With all the “best of” pop around  of course, this is my opinion, you know? Like belly buttons, everybody has got one  

The first book I'd recommend is All Boys Aren't Blue by @georgemjonhson. It's a journey. Especially for those who are not Black and those who are not Queer. If you are not one of those, read it. If you are one of those, read it, too. It's also one of the most banned books in 2023. You need to read it.

BTW, I think there's going to be a movie adaptation streaming right now.



Another one I'd recommend is Out of Blue, by @jasonjune. Joyous, fun, and queer. What else can one ask for? If you want some light reading (I read this one during the summer) this is your book. I read it in the patio during two very hot afternoons in August, while drinking sparkling lemonade from Aldi. Yes, that specific.


Oh, here's something some of you may enjoy: aging and the gay male. It deals with age, obviously, but also with the unpredictability of life and the never ending need we have to find our place. This one is by Andrew Holleran, one of the first gay authors I read, many, many moons ago. Along with Edmund White and Felipe Picano, he was one of the first authors that gave me 'gay', unfiltered. He's still got it. Read it.



Just by Looking at Him, by @ryano'connell 'cause we come in all sizes, forms and abilities. It is also fun, readable and very sexy. What, you were expecting something sad and sappy? No.



The Guncle, by @stevenrowley: riotous and... true? Those of us who are Guncles know... It looks like a ton of fun, because it is. It also delivers some very interesting morsels because sometimes it reads like a memoir...

Oh, and it seems that a sequel is out, already!

And that's it. Told you it was gonna be short and sweet. Just like me. So what says you? What book was your fav in 2003? Should I read it?

XOXO






Comments

  1. Anonymous1/10/2024

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Thanks for the recommendations babe. I have to learn to make time to actually read in 2024. What with work, stuff around the house and other demands on my time, I have to carve out some me time.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have got to get some time to read.
      Who's the one sending me all those links to books? It's so relaxing!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I'd like to recommend Delphi: A History of the Center of the Ancient World, by Michael Scott, for those whose minds might want to take a stroll through fascinating non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I see.
      I am not too much into non fiction (have to read journal articles all the time!) but I do have The Song of Achilles in my list and that goes kind in that direction!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. well done!!! happy to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big says,
    Oh, my.... You know I love me some books. I didn't do much reading over '23. I did read "Holly" by Stephen King, and Grisham's "The Boys From Biloxi" and "The Exchange," and "Knife Edge" by a local author. Let me tell you, local authors get overlooked but they can be as talented as the big guns. For instance, if you want gay fiction, look up Gregory Kompes.
    And "My Name Is Barbra," of course. I've started '24 with "Prequel," "Oath and Honor," and "Enough." XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      I have an kindle and it wags its finger at me when I don't read (maybe because I'm cheating on it with a hardcover! LOL). I have Holly in my list in the library (it has a million people ahead, of course) because I love me some King. And I'll look up Gregory Kompes!

      XOXO

      P.S. I was just thinking about you and Babs!!

      Delete
    2. Big says,
      Cheating with a hardcover --- LOL. I prefer hardcover, but the Muscular Dystrophy is making it too difficult to hold a book. Still...I suffer through it. 😁
      You'll find Gregory at: gregoryakompes.com.
      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Guncle looks like it would adapt well as a children's book. Haven't read any of these. Still working on the classics. Currently, Henry James has me wrapped around his little finger. The man writes two-page long paragraphs. I'm not kidding. The book is 534 pages long... and it is taking me forever to get through it. But I am determined. Thanks for sharing these. I am interested in two of them. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      It's such a fun book. It has a second part now. The author of The Guncle also has a novel called Lilly and the Octopus that sounds like a children's book but it's about opening up to others and that need we have for love.
      All those books are very interesting. Any one you choose would be fun.
      And Henry James was either Ace or gay. Are you reading Portrait of a Lady??

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    16 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    4 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.