Go back in time

Show more

Oh, self-care…?

 



What is self-care? According to Psychology Today, it’s “the mindful taking of time to pay attention to you, not in a narcissistic way, but in a way that ensures that you are being cared for by you.” It’s about taking a moment to evaluate your anxiety, recenter yourself, and think about what activities make you feel cared for.

Oh, yes. Self-care. I think we all need this right now. I've been thinking that with work, life and the fucking nightmare that is our political landscape, I am going to have to invest in myself. Because if we don't love ourselves....

1. Seeking Joy: I discovered that when I focus on my daily walks, when I'm alone and wandering around my neighborhood with nary a soul in sight, it's when I'm most at ease. I need more of that.

2. Seeking guidance: Two years ago I had some talks with a therapist because I was feeling close to being burnout and because I despise my boss. I think I'm going to do that again. Not as much due to the burnout situation, but because I still despise my boss. My handmade solution to that? I avoid that woman.

3. Staying in touch with my body: I am taking a little bit more care of my body. I do my YouTube videos and dedicate at least half an hour to doing either a little HIIT and walking or even stretching. I'm not getting any younger...

4. Making art: I'm not artistic, but I dedicate time to make my living quarters purdy. I wish I could paint, or play an instrument or sing, though. That would be awesome.

5. Giving myself space to ponder: duh. That's why I have this blog thingy here. It's me Marie-Kondo-ing my mind.

6. Getting good sleep: I am sleeping better. I used to have terrible sleep patterns but I read somewhere that we all need eight hours of sleep or we get wrinkly and get terrible undereye circles. I immediately decided I needed to sleep better.

7. Having faith: I have faith people will vote in the upcoming elections with their conscience and not their emotions. 

8. Trying something new: I am getting into vision boards. Something like Mad's Mood Boards but in my mind. Manifesting, the kids call it.

9. Not losing my Queerness: I try to remind myself of that. LOL Kidding! As Queer as Fuck. Just look at this blog (or my Pages).

10. Knowing I'm never alone: this is actually good for all of us. We are not an island. We need others. We need our tribe. I have my people, my allies, my accomplices. And you, Constant Reader. I have you.

11. Completing the 'Stress Response Cycle': I am trying to release negativity after each trigger. I am trying to not keep anything 'inside'. I talk about my issues and problems, I try to do physical activity that tires me. I indulge in activities that relax me after a full day of hearing about the bullshit and fuckery that MAGAts and Don Fartleone have vomited all over us.

And you, Constant Reader, are you doing some self-care?

XOXO



Comments

  1. Love your list; many great things on there.
    I'm all about the meditation, which I can do while walking, on a nice non-rainy day, or while just being in my home in the quiet, but listening.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes!
      I've tried to meditate, but I usually get too relaxed and fall asleep. But yes, those little moments are gold.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/10/2024

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I’m an early riser, and work from home. The time I would normally use for driving to the office, I now use to experience some quiet time with my dogs (aka The Boys). After we’ve all eaten breakfast, I’ve got about an hour of quiet time. The Boys have a full tummy and are already snoozing when I come back downstairs from brushing my teeth. A quick look at Twitter and then some downtime before I start my day.

    XOXO šŸ‘ØšŸ¼‍❤️‍šŸ’‹‍šŸ‘ØšŸ½

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww
      The boys!! And that sounds like a cool routine, babes!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Healthy mind, healthy body, healthy life. It's a good list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.
      I think there always needs to be some good balance...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Big says,
    Oh, I TRY to take care of myself. I meditate each morning with my coffee out on the patio before starting my day. Now that I can't *do* the theatre / dance, well, that part is gone so I write. It not only helps me creatively but it helps me rid the demons of my youth (which wasn't pretty by any means). XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh yes.
      I don't do the patio (winters are brutal here) but I do dedicate some time in the morning just to myself.
      And writing on this blog is always good for me...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Great post! I am focusing on self-care right now too. Feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am. I have had sex last night and two gin and tonics today!!!!!!

    Jokes aside sleep and taking care of yourself i do very well. I enjoy my bi monthly massages, facials and spa days...and my "other" massage..with a guy that does the best worship and edging I've ever had!

    I have fait in certain things...others... not so much. But I do enjoy my own time and as you now...my nature time and walks. Gardening is a new artistic and creative outlet that Im currently enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking care of ourselves is essential for good mental health, I swear.
      And I'be been meaning to get a massage. My friend Bill swears by them and promised he'd take me to his. I'll give him a try.
      And taking walks in nature is fabulous.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. It's a nice list. Thing is... the key to being happy is quite simple. Keep it simple. I am sorry to hear that you are allowing yourself to be exposed to a toxic person - one that actually made you seek a therapist. What's keeping you there, hon? If you're good at your job and you like your work... find someplace that cherishes you. And stop thinking playing an instrument is beyond you... it's not magic. You love music. You can create your own. Yes, it takes time, but you are capable of learning anything, dear. Adore you. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my boss is using that position as a stepping stone.
      She's a evil mean bitch from hell but she'll be there just for some time. She's got bigger fish to catch. And it's funny: I was taking to someone who trained to be a professional singer and they said the same! Anybody can sing.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. love this widsom.
    [9. I'm not losing my queerness, because I'm not Queer, but I'm gay over 100%. And I will never lose it, because it's happily in my DNA]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Petro en Rimax - [image: Petro busca en barrios populares lo que no encuentra en el Congreso] El presidente ha decidido abandonar su gobierno. Se ha parado del sillĆ³n...
    4 days ago
  • ZORRA, LO TIENES COMPLICADO - No tenĆ­a intenciĆ³n de escribir nada sobre EurovisiĆ³n, de hecho y aunque parezca increĆ­ble dada mi sequĆ­a intelectual habitual, tenĆ­a hasta otro post med...
    1 week ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavĆ­a en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del AtlĆ”ntico cuando todo comenzĆ³. Noticias e imĆ”genes aterradoras llenaban las pĆ”ginas de ...
    1 week ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niƱos suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen tambiĆ©n que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niƱos....
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los dĆ­as que se han convertido en aƱos, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.