Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Smalltown Boy...?


Ok, so if I lived in Minnesota, I would personally drive to Upton's house and would have him do a series like this. He knows music like nobody else, I'm a pushy bottom. It's the perfect combo to make a podcast/youtube channel dedicated to Queer pioneers.

But I don't. So I'm posting this video instead. People usually tell me "why gay? why all the time?" and I tell them that this blog promotes frocciagine every step of the way because it's never enough. It's never enough because people seem to have the attention span of a hummingbird on Mountain Dew and forget where is it that we are coming from. Yeah, it's not always been Little NasX or Orville Peck or Dixon Dallas in music. There was the closet and fear and self-loathing before the door of the closet for many musicians and artists was blown away by brave Queer artists that dared speak the name of that love, dahleehnk. 

There was a time that not even Boy George or Pete Burns would totally come out and say they liked dick. They wallowed in innuendo. But there WAS @JimmySommerville. While giants like George Michael and Freddie Mercury were afraid to lose those seventy thousand people in their stadium tours, diminutive Jimmy Sommerville would sing his Queer heart out to whomever was there to listen. 

And I was there. Jimmy was my inspo. And I'm forever grateful.

XOXO

P.S. go follow Jimmy on Insta! @jimmysommerville



P.P.S. Happy Pride!




Comments

  1. Replies
    1. He is awesome.
      And still rocking it! His insta is fab.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. To Jimmy, of course.
      He put himself out there in the eighties. In England. It took balls of steel.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I am a HUGE Jimmy fan! I love it all.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I have several of his records. The voice is fab.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout out, dear. You're always welcome at my humble hovel. 1984 is my favorite year in music. SO much was happening. Prince, Madonna, George, and Culture Club... And Michael J. It was insane and so much fun. I'd come out in three years because of what seemed to be this opening up - just the possibility of acceptance was enough to risk it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Upton!
      And you know I've always said that I don't know anybody with such a complete knowledge of music than you. The eighties were awesome in what concerned music.
      And you'll have to tell us about your coming out...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.