Go back in time

Show more

The life of garlic



I am a city boy through and through. But sometimes I swear I'd love to live in the countryside, basically off the grid and just live off the earth and not worry about what the WiFi password is for awhile. Especially now. Really. I think being bombarded by so much information 24/7, especially now that the stupidity, lies and corruption of IMPOTUS dominates the news cycle in an hourly basis, is exhausting. You'd have to cut any human contact not to be slightly despondent after you have to sift through so much bullshit.

With this pandemic wreaking havoc an with abysmally stupid people doing extremely dumb things and trying to get themselves and others infected with a virus that has no vaccine and precious few testing capabilities, I feel like I'd like to live away from the big city. Far away from the blindingly stupid Trumpanzees. Especially after I watch a video like the one I'm posting here today. I am sure it's tightly edited and that the photogenic protagonist presents only the best side of living in the countryside, but damn, I'd love to lead a life that simple and that uncomplicated. 

The idea of living a sustainable lifestyle is quite attractive, though. Both from the point of view of less stress and from the point of view of not having to depend on so many 'modern' commodities that leave earth so battered. Because we have to accept that we are spoiled by comfort and we put a strain on the environment because of it. There's a push to always have a little more, to always have something a little better. That consumerist point of view ends up by swallowing us all without really noticing. Now, wouldn't it be nice to dedicate more time to ourselves, to our surroundings, to simple things like being more in contact with nature and worrying about the best way to cultivate something or getting rid of weeds or fixing our house. 

I know, I am fantasizing about something that I have romanticized. Bet reality would make sure I wake up pretty quickly. Steven would let me know everything there is to know about running a farm, or John would instruct me about the struggles of living in a tiny community. But still. I think I would like to try that. Maybe when I retire. Even though I would consider much better and more possible to do that while I can still carry logs around to put in the fireplace or a stove. Living in the middle of nowhere sounds enticing but I'm sure it has its disadvantages. It may be all in my head. 

I know I will be tied to my job for awhile. I may not be able to try my hand at having my own veggie garden for awhile. But a boy can dream, can't he?

XOXO










Comments

  1. Yes you may be romanticizing the simple life, but that’s not entirely bad. After living a life where everything is readily available (until recently) it may be a stark change to isolate and live off the land. During the Covid-19 debacle we’re seeing people step up and share things. I was talking to my neighbor the other day and she mentioned that she couldn’t find and sanitizing wipes. I had just scored a multi-pack at Costco and I gladly shared my “bounty.” In return she gave me a few disposable face masks.

    I remember when I had my vegetable garden (too much work for me these days) I enjoyed all the fresh produce yielded. And I shared that with the neighbors, too. It is rewarding and relaxing to get back to the earth. But I’m not sure how far off the grid I could go.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that story with the neighbor is super nice!!! But you've always been awesome, so yeah. And of course I'm romanticizing the whole thing. This pandemic has messed up my priorities! LOL It would be nice, though. Be so close to the land... but yeah. I have no idea how 'off the grid' I could go.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. The good thing about city life is that everything is RIGHT there.
    The bad thing about city life is that everything is RIGHT there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. I imagine that living out in the countryside would imply some logistics. There's just so much we could pickle or store. Contingencies, right?
      It would be a huge change. I've never had the experience of actually living in the countryside, so I'd probably fail at it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Grew up there, it is hard work, to much for this old man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's awesome! Bet it was quite the experience. The thing is, people who grow up in the countryside, sometimes really look forward to living... in the city. Life, right?
      And you are right. It looks doable when it's so nicely edited, but I'm sure it could be backbreaking work. Especially if we are over a certain age. It's a nice dream, I guess.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I've lived in the city, and I've lived in a Trappist monastery . City is easier.

    (I'm waiting for your post on "Hollywood".) kiss kiss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to the Netflix show? That is very good and addictive. But the actress portraying Vivien Leigh and Tallulah Bankhead should be shot!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes. I binge watched it in one day! I couldn't stop!!

      Delete
    3. You've lived in a monastery? Jimmy! We need the tea!
      And I'm going to watch Hollywood as soon as I finish some stuff I have in my queue. Really. How can Netflix tease us this way?

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. It's better when you have someone to share it with otherwise it's very lonely. You can have both but the truth is that time has run out on you. Many people do it when younger, as you age it becomes too hard and most people eventually move back to the city as they hit their 50's. Out of all the dozens of people who moved out here to be closer to the land, all of them... 100% moved back to the city sooner or later. Maybe they stayed 20 to 25 years but all move back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can imagine. It's a pas de deux, that's for sure. Especially because of the manual work. I can imagine that people move out to the country to raise a family or because the land was affordable, but it may become unsustainable once you pass a certain age and need more help.
      *sigh* still, I think it's very rewarding. And I think I'd like to learn to survive off the land in case the Orange Buffon blows the country to high heavens in an Adderall-fueled rage.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Upon moving out from home, I always lived in various cities. I AM and WAS a city person. So when my ex brought me to where I am now, it' s suburban but defintely more on the rural side. I thought to myself, oh fuck me!!!!! Now I would have to be sand blasted out!!!!!!! It truly is beautiful here in regard to your comment on my last post. The quiet is nice. As social as I am, it's nice to have the quiet. When friends visit or stay , they always say we going to the country estate!!!! What s nice is I can hop a train and be in philly in 30, or nyc in an hour. But like city living, everyone still knows you and there is community. I have the best of both worlds right now...I could never go back to living in the city 24/7 . My next move would be a beach locale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really pretty where you live! I loved the photos you posted.
      I also live in the suburbs, but it's not as pretty and untouched. The hand of the cookie cutters is inching closer and closer.
      Like you, I'm not too far from a big city. Chi is less than one hour away. And I'm with you about a beach house. We should all move and be Jimmy's neighbors!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Ugh. Too much hard goddamn work to live the simple life off the grid. Gimme ease and comfort any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      I know, right? Let it to a city boy to pine for the country life. But she makes it look so easy! Bet is backbreaking in the winter or when the crops are ready. Bet preppers love it. They are always ready for the end of the world.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I always grow some sort of veggies. This year it's going to be tomatoes and cucumbers... in pots, on the back veranda. I have to watch what I grow, otherwise the dogs will eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yo see, that's really nice. Bet they're delicious and it helps your pocket. I'd love to learn to pickle. It'd made me feel all frontier man, I bet.
      And I'm cracking up here imagining the doggies exploring some bell peppers.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.