Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Alex



I remember Alex Newell when Glee was on. Remember Glee? Oh, those were innocent times. Well, now Alex is on Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (I catch it on Hulu because yes, I don't have cable, thankyouverymuch) and I am pleasantly surprised. And I say I am pleasantly surprised because REPRESENTATION, of course. And that voice!

I think Alex has a fantastic personality and one of those big voices you find in many House Music divas: big, soaring and it can fill a room. But I find also that Alex's voice deserves a bigger platform. Why is that voice not recognized while other (more mediocre voices) get acclaim and are heard by more people? I think that going against the binary is something that many queer artists find to be a limitation and they don't get the widespread admiration that they deserve. I love Alex's voice. It reminds me of Sylvester. it has that same energy. 

But like Sylvester, Alex does not conform to what people consider 'mainstream' and the world is not ready for it, honey. Mainstream music does not seem to have changed much since Ozzie and Harriet, right? It still demands that sharp separation between genres, both musical and between what it's considered masculine and feminine. Funny, no? The Masc for Masc crowd have certainly heard that song before. Add to that that Alex is a Black artist and then you have the perfect storm to being pigeonholed in one music genre. A minority within a minority.

But all in all, I think Alex has managed to make that obvious talent a selling point and is now part of yet another successful series and has kept very active musically (Nile Rodgers? Work!). What better way to come back at critics than being fabulous and successful at many things? I can't think of one. So today I decided to give you all a chance to dance a little bit. So kill the lights and shake that booty! I know even Dave stomps his foot once in a while with a bop like these.




Channeling Sylvester.



Dissing Nyle



Not letting Miss Quarantine mess you up is what? FUNDAMENTAL.

XOXO

Comments

  1. Let's see ... queer person of color who is amazingly talented.
    Huh, what could it be ...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you major props for watching Glee...I could not get into it. It was to sweet and bubble gummy and made me want to stick ice picks in my ear. I tend to not like things to sweet and syrupy. I think that's why I also am not a fan of Alex's music. I love and adore Alex though. I would like to see a hard dance or disco sound and some edge sound it . Still to sweet and teen sounding. I'd love him to do some Sylvester covers... While the lyrics are good...i just can't get into the music sadly... like I wouldn't see me listening to a whole CD while around the house. That would be more a Deelite Madonna or Yma Sumac thing to do for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That being said, Basically Over You is closer to what I'd like to see. I could take that one.

      Delete
    2. I thought Glee was adorbs. I also liked the queer storylines. Yes, it was syrupy but hey. I love Alex. That voice! Also, that personality! Portraying gender non-conformig people is tricky.
      And BOY is a bop!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I liked Glee...but, I mean, Hello! Theatre nerd. Talent abounds in Alex...yes, indeed. Great tone, great range. But, "Zoey's..." came off my playlist. A bunch of great voices, dancers, etc, etc, etc. But...they don't stick to the "idea" that she hears these other people in song. They stray from it and it breaks the spell for me.
    That said (to quote Maddie), I could listen to that voice for an entire CD so long as the beat and genre mixed it up. XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Glee clubs definitely nurture talent.
      I don't really know much about music but I know what I like to hear. I like Alex's voice. And you are right about Zoey's. As much as I like musicals, sometimes it didn't click.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. How exciting. I actually bought Kill the Lights, when it first came out just based on the song, having no idea who was singing it... well, the Nile Rodgers connection was what initially caught my eye. and Jess Glynne is in the mix somewhere there, too. How fun to learn about the artist. I watched Glee for about two minutes... it was just to 'gay' for me. Which is saying a lot, because I love me some gay. The other talent that I expected more from on that show was Chris Colfer. I saw him in a cute gay movie... can't remember the name and then... poof. I have not seen Zoey's Playlist, but remember all the hype leading up to it. People were saying it would tank... and NOPE. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG same! I bought it because I have one of the music Alex has put out.
      LOL I feel you about Glee. It could get really GAY. But I enjoyed it. I also liked some of the boys.
      And Chris Colfer has such a sweet voice! He writes children's books now, I think. Zoey's PL is cute. Skylar gives me heteroflexible vibes...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed Zoey’s. And Alex as the neighbor was fantastic, but I don’t think they used his voice enough. I liked his short stint on Glee.

    On a side note, I saw on my news feed that the actress that played Santana on Glee is missing from the boat she was on. Authorities found her young son alone on the boat. 😕

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute program! And Alex should have had more camera time, I agree.
      And yes! Naya Rivera is missing! So sad!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Sorry, I never watched Glee. Main Stream music is Main Stream because it's forgettable. Unforgettable will never be Main Stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha of course you didn't.
      But Glee clubs are based on mainstream music. Mostly theater? What I liked about Glee what the portrayal of queer relationships and queer people. Representation matters.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Love gender male to female. They show a strong personality.
    here my contribution about Alex Newell

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know ha 😏 Should I know ha? 🤷‍♂️ Thought it was Lizzo but, nope. I've seen Skyler or whatever his name is in Pitch Perfect though, at least I think he was in that...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 days ago
  • El cambio histriónico - El presidente Petro se siente incómodo. El marco constitucional le queda pequeño, advierte que el traje está muy ajustado para sus grandes propós...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    2 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.