Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Mr. Haynes...


@COLTONHAYNES


My mental health deteriorated, and I grew dependent on alcohol and pills. When a doctor suggested my secret was making me sick, I knew he was right. I came out of the closet in an interview with Entertainment Weekly in 2016. I hoped it would set me free, and in some ways it did. An outpouring of support followed. But people also published think pieces saying it had taken me too long; another gay actor implied the way I’d done it was cowardly. And incidentally, the work mostly dried up. When I was closeted, I beat out straight guys to play straight roles, and I played them well. Now, the only auditions I get are for gay characters, which remain sparse. Is that because I’m not very good? Maybe. But that didn’t stop me from booking roles before. It’s no different for the young gay actors I see coming up today, trying to make it in a system that isn’t built for them.

To be a gay actor in Hollywood, even in 2021, is to be inundated with mixed messages: Consumers are mostly straight, so don’t alienate them. But lots of the decision-makers are gay, so play that game! Now that I’m older and sober, I’m trying to square who I am with the inauthentic version of myself I invested in for years. I often wonder how different things would’ve been if I were allowed to be who I was when I moved to town: a hopeful kid confident in his sexuality.

COLTONHAYNES 

I used to gawk at Colton Haynes when he was on Teen Wolf. Then he was on Arrow and I followed him there. Such a handsome man. I had heard all the rumors about him but I didn’t really know if he was gay. To me, he was one more of the gaggle of eye candy on tv doing homoerotic shit in the series. But there always is a story behind the pretty faces we see on the screen. What I didn’t know was how tortured he was.

His story came back to mind this week when I read that an ex boy toy of Bryan Singer was letting it all hang out in VARIETY. Not surprising, but still sad. Somebody called Blake Stuerman was talking about how terrible his time with Bryan Singer was. As opposed to Colton, Blake got chewed up by the dream machine. He got to Hollywood with dreams of stardom and getting it on with Bryan Singer was his ticket to do that. He didn’t count on the voracious appetite of the powerful, always in search of the next fresh face.

Colton came out and even though he says he fought for (and got) roles intended for straight actors, his career never got to stratospheric heights. But he kept true to himself and don’t let the Hollywood machine chew him up and spit him out. Probably realized who he was right on time. Blake didn’t have as much luck. He never got the roles he dreamt with and after seeing his career going nowhere, now he’s telling his story with Singer. But Blake knew what he was signing up for. The writing was on the wall and on all those young men (of age) he saw were ‘invited’ to the parties he was attending.

Bryan singer was a very well known and successful director. He basically put the whole super hero movie in the map. He’s also notorious for liking men who look young and handsome. Of legal age, of course, but you know my drift. And Blake was one of those men. Now he’s kind of washed up and very, very bitter. I don’t know if this is going to be the straw that’s gonna break the camel’s back with Singer. Or if Colton will have a similar story to tell in his upcoming memoir. The only thing I know is that I really want to read his memoir, after reading his piece in Vulture. It’s a story as old as the Hollywood hills: person wants to be in showbiz, person tries their luck. Luck sometimes mean the casting couch, sometimes luck means being at the right place at the right time.

I kind of feel for Blake but I admire Colton for having persevered and kept working towards his dream. The last time I saw him he was in one of LilNasX’s music video, playing a prison guard. Now he’s got a memoir coming out soon. He’s a fighter. I like that. I had never heard of Blake Stuerman before. I don’t know if I’ll hear from him again. He thought Singer would make him a star. Can you imagine how many guys got it on with Singer because they thought he’d make that a star? Probably dozens and dozens.

There’s always been men like Bryan Singer in Hollywood. Powerful gay men who tell gay actors they have to be closeted while fucking them out of their dreams. But there’ll always be men like Colton, who do not let the system destroy them and their beauty. The casting couch is not going away because straight men started that fire (Harvey Weinstein, anyone?). I do feel sympathy for survivors of sexual assault, but Blake made his bed. And laid on it  

Kudos, Mr. Haynes. Good luck with your book. It’s in my list of books to read next year right now. And who knows, maybe by telling your story less men will have to tell a story similar to Blake’s and more will be successful staying true to themselves.

XOXO 


@COLTONHAYNES


#HAPPYPRIDE



Comments

  1. I never watched either show. I always liked Colton buy had no idea what he was in. I mostly remember when he was with Jeff Leathman. For some reason ...as cute as they appeared, he didn't seem happy to me the either. Forced. I suspected him being another young piece for an older man. I only hope peace comes at last. Gay straight...his acting and work he puts out won't change...he isn't any different Hollywood. Coming out is a tailored thing and must be done on one's own way.

    And Bryan Singer....lord only knows how many men he fucked up. And then spit out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shows are cool. Both can be streamed, I think.
      And he probably was still hesitant, even when out of the closet. It’s that cagey attitude some men carry all their lives?
      Bryan Singer has a long history of going through men like candy.

      XoXo

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful, authentic and self confident man! and beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he’s very handsome.
      And he’s come a long way, I think.

      XoXo

      Delete
  3. Like you I’ve always liked Colton, from Teen Wolf to Arrow. I thought he played the roles well and was surprised when he came out. I can’t believe that he took shit for the “way” he came out. Is there a manual or how to video? Form the coming out videos I’ve seen, there’s only one right way…the one you feel comfortable with.

    Hollywood is a shitty, competitive place, and there are many stories of people trying to make it there. Unfortunately I think the bad out pace the good. Colton’s book should be interesting.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we hope he names names? Or is that too bitchy?

      Delete
    2. He did play those roles well.
      And you know people will always bitch about someone coming out, no matter how they do it.and I have the book in my list already.
      @Big: he probably will or make it clear Whois it he’s talking about.

      XoXo

      Delete
  4. I really not familiar with Mr. Haynes. Other than his acceptance speech at GLAAD on Youtube. I'll have to google Bryan Singer. Oh, You, Young Boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!
      He was honored at GLAAD. Representation, you know.
      And there’s been a ton written about Singer. A ton.

      XoXo

      Delete
  5. The gay community can be very judgmental oh 'how' and 'when' and 'why' people come out but people come out when they feel ready, end of discussion. And we should be welcoming to them all.
    I hope Colton continues work and gets whatever roles he chooses and runs with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, totally.
      As if it were somebody else’s business. And I also hope his book is successful and that he gets more and more roles.

      XoXo

      Delete
  6. You're right about this being the old, old story of Hollywood and the Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on! All the way back to the silent era.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely.
      The casting couch has been a big secretknown to everybody in Hollywood for decades.

      XoXo

      Delete
  7. That is sad. We can only hope that Haynes finds more and more work. It's not clear to me how one actor can come out of the closet (Neil Patrick Harris, anyone?) and continue to succeed and another can't get an order of fries.
    Can anyone explain that?
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is.
      Gay men can be their own worst enemy. And it’s a mystery how those things work. It’s a mis of being in the right place at the right time and charisma and talent.

      XoXo

      Delete
  8. Oh I want to read Colton Hayne's book. Need to put it on my GoodReads list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I put it in my list already. What he wrote for Vulture was super good.

      XoXo

      Delete
  9. Like a the vast majority of actors, Colton may never be the celebrity actor he dreamt of being, and that may be a good thing. He is a working actor, right now filming something called Love... Reconsidered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.
      Being hyper famous sometimes destroys them. And I’m glad he’s filming something! Thinks may be looking good for him.

      XoXo

      Delete
  10. Actors are terrible people.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yes, they can indeed be. Same with agents and directors.

      XoXo

      Delete
  11. Good stuff, Sixpence. Thanks for sharing. I am not familiar with the young man but I hope things work out well for him. I can only imagine how tough it must be to be true to yourself but also play the Hollywood games. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He’s in Arrow, a very bingeabke tv show.
      And the Hollywood games are merciless.
      Happy holidays, Mr Shife!
      And an awesome 2021.

      XoXo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.