Go back in time

Show more

Snatched


So, if you don't know what the Snatch Game is, here's a primer: in Drag Race, one of the challenges the contestants have to go through is called Snatch Game, a challenge modeled after TV game shows of yesteryear in which famous people vied for prizes and a chance to crack the public up with their wit and their antics. It's all that, but make it Drag. Also, remember that in the past, many Drag performers were experts impersonating fabulous and talented female stars (Cher, Liza, Barbara, etc) this challenge honors a tradition in Drag history and at the same time, adds a layer to the talent the winner of the contest should have. Not to mention that it is usually one of those challenges that separates good Drag artists from great Drag artists.

I think it's a fantastic opportunity to see what 'else' a Drag Queen can do. I know they can lip-sync, I know they can beat their faces for the gawds and I know they can come up with great costumes made out of saran wrap and three rhinestones. But can they make me laugh? Are they witty? Do they know their cultural referents? And I think Drag Race (very sly, Ru, very sly) knows that and goes at it with gusto. And I'm here for it.

This time, we had TWO Snatch Games, given that the contestants are all seasoned performers (some of them had indeed won the Snatch Game in their respective seasons!) and boy, was it fantastic. You see, this season of Drag Race All Stars is All Winners. All the queens vying for a cool $200,00 prize have won their seasons (both regular and All Stars) and the fight was to the death. I love them all (I'm a Drag Race fan through and through) but I do have my favorites. And during this Snatch Game, they confirmed why is it that I like them so much.

In this challenge, especifically, three of my fav queens killed it: @JinkxMonsoon, @Raja and @Trinity were outstanding, IMHO. I was laughing so hard I spilled my soda, choked on my popcorn and scared the dogs (I'm no Drag expert, like Maddie, but I know when I've been entertained). I am going to post here the video of their Snatch Game and I'd love to hear (read, duh) what you think. As an unbiased spectator, who do you think did it better, Constant Reader? Did you get the references? Were they good? Did you laugh?

Lemme know. Next time, maybe we can sit together and watch. I'll bring the finger food and the booze.

XOXO

Comments

  1. so funny and ... if you think that everyone there is a man ... great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too!
      And that's the power of illusion, Xersex. One only ends up seeing the artistry.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. IKR?
      Some people think that Drag is just wearing a wig and high heels.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I need to wipe the tears from eyes from laughing so hard. That was perfection, but, damn, Judy/Jinkx was perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      Same. I went back to listen again when I was posting it, and cackled for five minutes. Jinkx killed it.
      Did you notice that she sang RuPaul's songs... Judy Garland style? LMAOO

      XOXO

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I noticed that on my THIRD viewing!

      Delete
  4. I love Snatch Game and this one was indeed STELLAR! The impersonations I liked the best -- Madame, Joanna Lumley, Leslie Jordan, Lady Chablis and Judy Garland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. And same.
      I was expecting 'good' but really!
      And Madame was outstanding. Leslie Jordan asking for help to climb on the stool? Laughter. Lady Chablis was stunning. And Judy? I'm still laughing.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Growing up, I always loved when Madame was on different game shows. Loved the impersonation and it was spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      It was uncanny! The make up. The voice, The gestures!
      Raja was amazing.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I loved it!!!!! And Raja and Jinkx nailllllllled it. Talking with queens everybody's favorite seems to be Jinkx. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with the most points at the end. Fun fact. Jinkx has more wins and was in the top 2 for episodes than any other queen in the show's history. 8 shows in a row. She is definitely right up there with the other legends like Bunny Varla Jean, Joey, and Lipsyinka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely think the same.
      Raja was good but Jinkx absolutely killed it. She's a great comedienne. The timing! Every time she asked 'Is this my camera?' I laughed harder. Jinkx IS a contender.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5/26/2022

    Big says,
    Flippin' hilarious! I loved Wayland Flowers. I can't tell you how many times I saw him on stage. So, Madame was a favorite. But I gotta say Joanna Lumley, Leslie Jordan, and Judy Garland were superb. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG really?
      He was a legend. The voice, the wit, the artistry! I've watched two documentaries about him. So good. And even though Joanna and Leslie were a riot, that Judy Garland (with inside Drag Race references) was genius.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Anonymous5/26/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I’m no drag aficionado, but I did enjoy Madame, Judy and Joanna Lumley. The jokes were hilarious.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Drag 101, Bae.
      It's just performance, at the end of the day, so it translates even if one's not well versed on RuPaulogy. The jokes! The jokes were fantastic.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.